SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    Sonoran Desert Tortoise
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sonoran Desert Tortoise Login/Join 
Picture of henryaz
posted

I almost stepped on this little guy early this morning. Opened the door to the front porch and he was right there, and my eye suddenly registered something foreign where I was about to put my foot. It's still a juvenile (carapace 7"), and we've been seeing him come up to the front yard for several years now. The first time it was 5", and they can grow (slowly) up to 15", also live for up to 80 years. The tortoise is a protected species in AZ, and you cannot keep one as a "pet" without first getting a permit from AZ game and fish. We just enjoy watching it come and go, usually in the yard in front of the porch. This is the first time I've seen it up on the porch.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
there is a lady in Scottsdale that has two in her fenced in back yard.
she has a 20 inch dia. water hole for them , with a canopy over it.

they are much friendlier than a cat.

I think she said that they go in too a hole for a while during certain parts of the year.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54502 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

After the sun came up, it decided to leave the porch for some basking in the sun.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cool. We used to see box turtles in NJ. Saved a few on the highway.

I haven't seen any land turtles here in Western Washington.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13386 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
Very cool! When I was growing up in the San Fernando Valley (So. CA), we used to see these regularly, running (walking! Wink) wild in our neighborhood. With the density of housing development, they're all gone. So glad to know they're out here and I'm looking forward to seeing one in the wild.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10187 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I see box tortoises only rarely around here, but they are cool little animals.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54502 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post