SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    My deer head, lost for 10 years, found
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My deer head, lost for 10 years, found Login/Join 
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted
In 1986 I shot my first deer I ever had mounted. It had the biggest rack to that time and was taken on the last hunt I ever had with my grandfather. My dad had the head mounted for me and it sat in a spot in my family home above a fireplace until about 10 years ago when it mysteriously disappeared. I noticed it had been replaced by a Van Gogh print. I asked my mom and dad where it went and was only told, we didn't think you wanted that anymore. I just assumed that meant they disposed of it. That bugged me for ten years. All I had for that time were some pictures of the deer and the mount. Well, my dad recently passed away and my mom went to the hospital with a broken hip and wasn't expected to survive. So my sister and I went attic diving to see what was up there. Way back in a corner was something big wrapped in a moving blanket and plastic. I pulled it out. My deer head. Haven't seen it for 10 years. It survived the heat of the attic all that time and is no worse for the wear. Now to find a spot in my home for it. I might have a little brass plaque made with the date and location. I still have the check-in card the check station gave me when they took the tag.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What a great story...congrats!

NRA Life Member/GOA Life Member

Posts: 137 | Location: Gainesville, FL.  | Registered: July 06, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SSgt USMC/Vet
posted Hide Post
Glad you were able to find it, It was at home the whole time just out of sight. Smile

Posts: 1949 | Location: Northern Virginia/Buggs Island, Boydton Va. | Registered: July 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
And I brought it up several times in the 10 years about them getting rid of it and they never told me it was in their attic. I half suspect my wife was in on it telling them not to tell me it was there. Roll Eyes

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Great memory!

Sorry to hear about your Dad. Is your Mom okay?

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38601 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Glad you found it. Nice buck.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
Wait...you have carpet on your walls and a sock, too? Big GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig Grin

Posts: 9002 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Its... ah, smiling...at us.

My mother gave away about 75 of my Avalon Hill, SPI, GDW games... sure wush tgat I had those back...

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5952 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Awesome story! Amazing that no one ever thought about talking about it on either end just left it at that

Posts: 20 | Registered: October 01, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post