SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    Old Porsches out for a drive and an Audi
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Old Porsches out for a drive and an Audi Login/Join 
Picture of ewills
posted
So, some friends of ours get together when the weather is nice and get our old pigs out for a run. We were missing a few of the old Porsche guys that usually attend, but ended up having an Audi head out with us for a drive. Lots of good roads if you are far enough west of the DC area. Nobody had any mechanical issues and everyone got back home in one piece. My car is the silver 72 911. The fellow that owns the 356 has owned it since 1961. He has no problem keeping up with the other cars. The Audi would beat us all, he was just with us for a leisurely drive.

Posts: 308 | Location: NOVA | Registered: February 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love the early 911 series!

I've only had one opportunity to drive a Porsche -- a brand-new 1971 911T, and I remember being impressed with it to this day.

Several times I've been involved in restorations and race preps, though. Engine job on a 356, total restoration of a Speedster from the early 1960's, and if anybody remembers the original IROC Porsche 911's, a guy I knew bought the green one and campaigned it in SCCA and IMSA. I worked on it several times.

A 911 is on my Lottery Win list, definitely!

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Interesting gathering. I spent a good part of yesterday at Audi Performance Racing/Dinan in Opelika, AL with the BMW car club.

I've never really been an Audi fan, but they had some seriously wicked Audi's there! One A5 that they said would run the 1/4 mile in the 9 second range.

Lots of nice BMW's and an M5 they had worked their magic upon.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20302 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ewills
posted Hide Post
Glad to see some interest! Thanks for the replies. I have been a Porsche nut since I was a kid. The Porsche hobby to me seems similar to the gun hobby. Very, very different people with a similar passion that mostly get along. I am blessed to have been able to turn a hobby into my career.

These pics are from a run a few years ago with members of a club I belong to. HQ hotel for this event is always Snowshoe resort in WV. The entire event is driving in small groups around the wonderful WV roads during the day, then BS in the parking lot in the evening. Guys usually attend from as far as Texas and sometimes CA.

Posts: 308 | Location: NOVA | Registered: February 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ewills:
So, some friends of ours get together when the weather is nice and get our old pigs out for a run. We were missing a few of the old Porsche guys that usually attend, but ended up having an Audi head out with us for a drive. Lots of good roads if you are far enough west of the DC area. Nobody had any mechanical issues and everyone got back home in one piece. My car is the silver 72 911. The fellow that owns the 356 has owned it since 1961. He has no problem keeping up with the other cars. The Audi would beat us all, he was just with us for a leisurely drive.

Has that 356A been attacked by the "Tin Worm" (Rust)?

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ewills
posted Hide Post
quote:
Has that 356A been attacked by the "Tin Worm" (Rust)?

Not so much rust. Whatever was there has been fixed. But, it has been in more than a dozen accidents. He had the car over in Europe for years while in the Navy. I have seen the pics of damage. Looks good for how many times it's been hit.

posted Hide Post
WV has some beautiful back roads. Did a drive with a friend last year with BMW motorcycles. South from PA down the Blue Ridge Parkway, West into WV and back up North through WV. Seneca Rocks was one stop. Incredible ride.

Posts: 2130 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No worries!
Picture of Chach
posted Hide Post
That black 911 is making me sick to my stomach. I used to own a 1966 912 (911 body w/ the 356's 4 cylinder) and it is the only car I've ever regretted letting go. Get a gut-wrenching feeling whenever I see one like it. Really wish I didn't sell it.

Posts: 3188 | Location: NorCal - Sac | Registered: February 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I was looking at them that one screamed out to me. What a beautiful car.

Posts: 1562 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: August 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Nice groups. I've always been a 944 fan & though I've never been in/driven one, there's something about the 914 that makes me want one.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15150 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Gah somebody move the “Persian’s car” away from those beautiful Porsche’s.

I keed, I keed.....that Audi is nice.......now get it parked somewhere else. Razz

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Hmm. 'round here we have guys get together and show off their fancy cars too, but they're just old Fords and Chevys, mostly. Don't have anyone bringing smokes n' booze, that's for sure. Beautiful looking bunch of cars,though I must say the Audi doesn't trip any of my triggers.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
The Audi is still pretty bad ass. Just doesn’t fit with those magnificent old school P cars.

Hell my heathen 997 water cooled monstrosity doesn’t fit in. Smile

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
We’ve got one of those “heathen, water-cooled, monstrosities” too.

Posts: 13164 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
The Audi is still pretty bad ass. Just doesn’t fit with those magnificent old school P cars.

Hell my heathen 997 water cooled monstrosity doesn’t fit in. Smile

Uhm, no. Not the same as the Audi.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post