SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    Sheep Herder Carvings (Sorry to Disappoint)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sheep Herder Carvings (Sorry to Disappoint) Login/Join 
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted
Going through some pictures this morning and ran across these photos that I took in 2009 up on Coulter Mesa, north of Rifle Colorado. I added the "sorry to disappoint" comment because the most famous herder carvings are obscene and these are largely names and dates. I do have a couple with artwork that I may add later.

This is the oldest date I have: 1928. Quintano Manzanares has a lot of carvings. He also has nice penmanship Wink

The same herder in 1931 and '33. Can't make his name out.

I like this one because it was carved on the Fourth of July. It says "En este dia" which means, "On this day."

This and the next picture are from the same carving. This is a Greek herder named Tsekora. You can see the Cross in the first picture and the Sacred Heart in the second. It appears he carved over another "July 4th, 1933" carving.

Posts: 13165 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of whododat
posted Hide Post
Very cool.

Because son, it is what you are supposed to do.

Posts: 1851 | Location: Escaped to TN | Registered: October 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
Very interesting, we spend some time on a mountain near us, where they run sheep. When we get back up there I'm going to look at some Aspens for carvings.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3388 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
That is fun. Thanks.

Are the obscene ones of naked sheep?

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Never seen anything like that. Very cool.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13386 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post