SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    My new birdhouse design. A work in resin.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My new birdhouse design. A work in resin. Login/Join 
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted
So I've begun building birdhouses. My last few has had natural bark and wood mounted to the faces to give them a natural look.

This is a woodpecker box I built:

And a bluebird box:

But I wanted a face that would pop a bit more. I've been wanting to start working with resins. So I mounted bark on this face and then routed "rivers" through it. I filled those rivers with epoxy resin colored with blue silica. Other than it is taking an incredibly long time to cure, it was pretty easy. I think it looks pretty good.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Micropterus,

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of whododat
posted Hide Post
Really nice work!

Because son, it is what you are supposed to do.

Posts: 1851 | Location: Escaped to TN | Registered: October 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
Looks good!

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by molachi:
Looks good!
But will the birds like it?

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
But will the birds like it?

flashguy

We shall see.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
Pretty much turning into an effort into futility. This resin is simply not curing. It still extremely sticky after days. It may look cool, but I think this is going nowhere.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Micropterus,

Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
Use a hair dryer to increase the temps slowly and see if it cures?

Posts: 3572 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
I've poured three layers, all according the instructions, and in the correct temperatures. And I used the right resin to hardener ratio - 1:1. And I mixed thoroughly.

I poured the first layer on Friday morning and let it cure 8 hours, like the instructions said before pouring a second layer. That cured overnight or about 12 hours before the third and final pour on Saturday.

I let it cure the rest of Saturday, Sunday, Monday and Tuesday. On Tuesday night the last layer was still so fluid that it would run if not laying completely flat. I stuck a needle in various spots and it would sink in about 1/2 the depth of the resin.

I set up a small space heater on low and let warm air blow on it for last two days. And as of this afternoon, the last pour is as tacky as it ever was.

I stuck a needle in it in various spots to see if there was any solidification and there was. The needle would go about half way in.

A few hours ago, I set it in a pan up on end to let the last pour run odd. Once it ran off, I discovered that the hardest the deepest levels got was the consistency of cured silicon caulking. Kind of rubbery.

So this project is over. I've tossed it and will start over again at a later date. Before I do, I will switch to a different brand of epoxy resin. I found that of the stuff I was using, the only time is cured to any hardness when it was spread really thin, like wear it ran out and formed a near paper-tin layer on the newspaper I had under it. The resin I am using must not be suitable for a 1/2" deep pour.

I should have left it at one pour, maybe two. I think the third killed it. I won't make channels as deep next time.

I did pour some clear resin into a plastic spray can top as a mold and put a St Pauli Girl beer cap in it to see how that would turn out. That actually cured.

posted Hide Post
You may need to add a little more hardener into your mix and the tackiness will not occur. Try it on a small project and see what you think.

Posts: 266 | Registered: June 03, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
I would try a different brand resin as well, look for the words "deep pour".

When helping my Odyssey of the Mind kids, they used a table top epoxy for a river scene, and it did the same thing you mentioned, never cured but stayed tacky.
We got a deep pour epoxy that measured in a 2:1 ratio and it cured great (just took way longer, I think I remember a 48 hour cure time).

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
you may want to consider a predator plate in the future.

of some sort.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/7...1l8kkKRoC8nwQAvD_BwE

if you are investing that amount of time,
may as well keep it nice.

there are many out there to choose from

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Retired, laying back
and enjoying life
Picture of low8option
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
you may want to consider a predator plate in the future.

of some sort.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/7...1l8kkKRoC8nwQAvD_BwE

if you are investing that amount of time,
may as well keep it nice.

there are many out there to choose from

Cheapest predator safety I have found is take off the landing perch in front of the hole. They look cool but in 25 years of putting out bird houses I have noticed that the small birds are more likely to avoid those with a perch. It gives the predator a place to work from.

Freedom comes from the will of man. In America it is guaranteed by the 2nd Amendment

Posts: 876 | Location: Northern Alabama | Registered: June 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for being
genuinely stupid
posted Hide Post
Very nice bird house.

Posts: 340 | Location: Derby City KY. | Registered: April 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Eek
check these out
Eek

I found'em while browsing

https://www.etsy.com/shop/twigandtimber

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
I have a perch on every house in my yard. Every house is on their second family this year, and one is on its third. In my side yard, I had a bluebird in one box, a chickadee in the next, and a titmouse in the next one. Each box was about 8 feet from the other. The only trouble makers are squirrels that run along the top of the fence from my backyard to the front. In so doing, they jump on top of each house as they go from one end to the other. I've seen these squirrels attacked in force by all three of the bird-types at once. The bluebird are particularly relentless. They make loud clicking noises and perform dive-bombing maneuvers reminiscent of the Battle of Midway. I've had them dive bomb me when I go too near their house - so close I can feel the wind on my face.

And the bird that live in them use the perches. Every one of them feed their young from the perch.