SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    My new birdhouse design. A work in resin.

Moderators: LDD
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
My new birdhouse design. A work in resin. Login/Join 
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted
So I've begun building birdhouses. My last few has had natural bark and wood mounted to the faces to give them a natural look.

This is a woodpecker box I built:


And a bluebird box:


But I wanted a face that would pop a bit more. I've been wanting to start working with resins. So I mounted bark on this face and then routed "rivers" through it. I filled those rivers with epoxy resin colored with blue silica. Other than it is taking an incredibly long time to cure, it was pretty easy. I think it looks pretty good.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Micropterus,
 
Posts: 3310 | Location: Southeast Virginia | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of whododat
posted Hide Post
Really nice work!


Escape is not always the safest path.
 
Posts: 1531 | Location: central nj | Registered: October 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
Looks good!
 
Posts: 1553 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by molachi:
Looks good!
But will the birds like it?

flashguy




Texan by choice, not accident of birth
 
Posts: 23636 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
But will the birds like it?

flashguy


We shall see.
 
Posts: 3310 | Location: Southeast Virginia | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
Pretty much turning into an effort into futility. This resin is simply not curing. It still extremely sticky after days. It may look cool, but I think this is going nowhere.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Micropterus,
 
Posts: 3310 | Location: Southeast Virginia | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
Use a hair dryer to increase the temps slowly and see if it cures?
 
Posts: 3337 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
I've poured three layers, all according the instructions, and in the correct temperatures. And I used the right resin to hardener ratio - 1:1. And I mixed thoroughly.

I poured the first layer on Friday morning and let it cure 8 hours, like the instructions said before pouring a second layer. That cured overnight or about 12 hours before the third and final pour on Saturday.

I let it cure the rest of Saturday, Sunday, Monday and Tuesday. On Tuesday night the last layer was still so fluid that it would run if not laying completely flat. I stuck a needle in various spots and it would sink in about 1/2 the depth of the resin.

I set up a small space heater on low and let warm air blow on it for last two days. And as of this afternoon, the last pour is as tacky as it ever was.

I stuck a needle in it in various spots to see if there was any solidification and there was. The needle would go about half way in.

A few hours ago, I set it in a pan up on end to let the last pour run odd. Once it ran off, I discovered that the hardest the deepest levels got was the consistency of cured silicon caulking. Kind of rubbery.

So this project is over. I've tossed it and will start over again at a later date. Before I do, I will switch to a different brand of epoxy resin. I found that of the stuff I was using, the only time is cured to any hardness when it was spread really thin, like wear it ran out and formed a near paper-tin layer on the newspaper I had under it. The resin I am using must not be suitable for a 1/2" deep pour.

I should have left it at one pour, maybe two. I think the third killed it. I won't make channels as deep next time.

I did pour some clear resin into a plastic spray can top as a mold and put a St Pauli Girl beer cap in it to see how that would turn out. That actually cured.
 
Posts: 3310 | Location: Southeast Virginia | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
You may need to add a little more hardener into your mix and the tackiness will not occur. Try it on a small project and see what you think.
 
Posts: 218 | Registered: June 03, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    My new birdhouse design. A work in resin.

© SIGforum 2020