SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    Ever seen a Sun Pillar?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ever seen a Sun Pillar? Login/Join 
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted
I took this just before sunrise this morning

Posts: 13165 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Never seen or heard of one before. That’s pretty neat, thanks for posting it!

Posts: 17056 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
Never seen or heard of one before. That’s pretty neat, thanks for posting it!

New to me too, this from sometimes useful Wikipedia --

"A light pillar is an atmospheric optical phenomenon in which a vertical beam of light appears to extend above and/or below a light source. The effect is created by the reflection of light from tiny ice crystals that are suspended in the atmosphere or that comprise high-altitude clouds (e.g. cirrostratus or cirrus clouds).[1] If the light comes from the Sun (usually when it is near or even below the horizon), the phenomenon is called a sun pillar or solar pillar. Light pillars can also be caused by the Moon or terrestrial sources, such as streetlights."

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
I believe that I saw one of those yesterday morning.

Posts: 12167 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I have never seen one, but I have not lived in very cold places much.

Cool photo.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Beautiful pic. I have never heard of them myself. God makes some really neat stuff. How did you capture the pic?

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Pickle Rick!
Picture of Pickle Rick
posted Hide Post
Stunning photo. Thanks.

Posts: 2862 | Location: Lancaster, PA. | Registered: February 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by patw:
Beautiful pic. I have never heard of them myself. God makes some really neat stuff. How did you capture the pic?

Cell phone Wink

Posts: 13165 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I've seen them a few times, but never as pronounced as that. Awesome photo...and I love your view!

Posts: 8415 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Never seen one before. Thanks for sharing.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36834 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
Thank you- that is awesome-

Can’t help but observe as an geezer-
It makes me quite envious sometimes that in 2021 high-quality cameras are available everywhere. (i.e. cellphones).

As a kid I spent most days out on the water. The things you see that are gone in seconds…
I’ve been up in the air and out on the water and a lot of places in the world where I saw one-time fantastic things like waterspouts, whales, sharks and skates breeding, runs of bluefish/king mackerel/reeling in jumping gamefish/you name it.
One picture comes to mind- I was on the bridge of a surfaced fast attack submarine after a typhoon with 40+ breaking swells and man, would I ever love to have a video of that...

But never had a camera along because first as a kid I couldn’t afford one. Then waterproof cases were expensive and I seldom had a camera along at the time in the first place. Not to mention if you DID have a camera along they were “slow” in comparison to digital camera tech and it cost dearly then to develop slides or regular film…

(Of course it is also worth pointing out that this great modern technology is primarily used for selfies…)

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
That is very cool TM.

Have you seen them often?

Our interesting solar feature in Florida is the "Green Flash" seen at sunset usually in the southernmost FL Keys.

I've only seen one in my lifetime.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
No, first time I saw one. We get some beautiful sunrises here and some nice sunsets too—looking off towards Cheyenne, but that’s the first sun pillar I’ve seen. Some combination of cold temperatures and suspended ice crystals create the phenomenon.

I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
No, but I've seen a green flash at sunset.

Not my picture, but here's what it looks like.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Triggers don't
pull themselves
Picture of mdblanton
posted Hide Post
I have seen them but didn't realize what they were called. I took this one a couple of years ago - not nearly as pronounced as your image, TMats.

Michael

Posts: 1093 | Location: Petal, MS | Registered: January 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
That is a great capture! I'm guessing the conditions that cause them are similar to those that cause Sun Dogs (ice crystals in the atmosphere).

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JSW
posted Hide Post
Cool shot!

Posts: 520 | Registered: June 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post