SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    Dreadnaught's day job...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dreadnaught's day job... Login/Join 
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted
We finished a major "removal action" at the former depleted uranium factory Superfund site I manage.

$55 million in demolition and off-site disposal. I'm the "Project Coordinator" - so got to talk about the project to the guy that wrote this:

http://www.constructionequipme...tion-buildings/32838

More on this site here: www.nmisite.org

some fun and games inside - cleaning out a "pickling area" where they used nitric and hydrofluoric acids to burn the copper jacket off DU penetrators - the copper lubricated the DU billet as it went through a 1,600 ton extrusion press to make 20mm, 40mm and 105mm billets.

imagine wearing these full suits in a 90 degree summer day inside the building... Powered Air Purifying Respirators needed to avoid inhalation of both DU and beryllium particulate. Heat stress monitoring was key.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: feersum dreadnaught,

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Skeptic
Picture of Mike the Texan
posted Hide Post
That's really cool. It must take a lot of planning and safety monitoring to tear everything down and not harm the workers or nearby area.

Posts: 220 | Location: Near a white sand beach. | Registered: October 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Amazing

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Your company finished up 15 million under budget!!! You must not know how to work those govt deals Wink

Posts: 5416 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ball Haulin'
Picture of entropy
posted Hide Post
Ive read the article a few times now and the scope of it all still boggles my mind.

--------------------------------------
"There are things we know. There are things we dont know. Then there are the things we dont know that we dont know."

Posts: 10079 | Location: At the end of the gravel road. | Registered: November 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
That must have been quite the project with radio active waste and such. I made several buildings dissappear in the course of my time in the environmental industry. Those were always the more interesting projects.

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post