We finished a major "removal action" at the former depleted uranium factory Superfund site I manage.
$55 million in demolition and off-site disposal. I'm the "Project Coordinator" - so got to talk about the project to the guy that wrote this:
More on this site here: www.nmisite.org
some fun and games inside - cleaning out a "pickling area" where they used nitric and hydrofluoric acids to burn the copper jacket off DU penetrators - the copper lubricated the DU billet as it went through a 1,600 ton extrusion press to make 20mm, 40mm and 105mm billets.
imagine wearing these full suits in a 90 degree summer day inside the building... Powered Air Purifying Respirators needed to avoid inhalation of both DU and beryllium particulate. Heat stress monitoring was key.
This message has been edited. Last edited by: feersum dreadnaught,
NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"
That's really cool. It must take a lot of planning and safety monitoring to tear everything down and not harm the workers or nearby area.
Your company finished up 15 million under budget!!! You must not know how to work those govt deals
There is no cure for stupidity, you either die from it or with it.
Ive read the article a few times now and the scope of it all still boggles my mind.
|fugitive from reality|
That must have been quite the project with radio active waste and such. I made several buildings dissappear in the course of my time in the environmental industry. Those were always the more interesting projects.
'I'm pretty fly for a white guy'.
|Powered by Social Strata|