SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    Diving in Roatan
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Diving in Roatan Login/Join 
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted
A few pictures from a recent trip.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16378 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Beautiful. My wife heard about a big cat rescue on French Cay, they let you swim with a Jaguar. She is booking the trip now. Roll Eyes

Posts: 5299 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Triggers don't
pull themselves
Picture of mdblanton
posted Hide Post
Nice pics! thanks for posting them.

Michael

Posts: 1093 | Location: Petal, MS | Registered: January 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great pics, and I love me some Roatan. It is a beautiful island and great people. Some friends have a house there and I have been blessed to be invited on occasion. Have thought many a time about buying something there for vacation and retirement some day.

Yep Little French Key is fun to visit and they do have a Jaguar and a tiger to look at. And they do offer for a price to remove them from the cage and basically let you play with them. Not to keen on having my face eaten off if the cat decides to be a cat again for old times sake. Now that the cruise ships land there on a regular basis it gets crowded and places get beat up by all the tourists pretty quickly. Loved it when it was a bit more sleepy and better know as a divers paradise rather than a tourist/cruise destination.

It's all about clean living. Just do the right thing, and karma will help with the rest.

Posts: 1106 | Location: The Republic of Texas | Registered: April 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Great pix! Thanks,

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20302 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice! What setup?

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Southflorida-law:
Nice! What setup?

Canon G7 in an Ikelite housing and red filter No strobes. First time using this setup.

Thinking of adding a tray and strobes for better options but I like the small package it currently is. I can clip it off and just dive when I want.

May pick up a second filter for deeper shots. Took a few around 144' and the coloring is really bad. Really need strobes for that depth though. All of the good shots were less than 60'.

Not sure I want to fork out the cost for a tray, arms, and strobes to end up with a larger platform that I am now a slave to the entire dive. Really like just clipping it off and diving when I want.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
Did you put this trip together yourself or did you go with a group?

If you were with a group, was there a couple named Lexie and James in your group?

Posts: 11151 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skull Leader:
Did you put this trip together yourself or did you go with a group?

If you were with a group, was there a couple named Lexie and James in your group?

Friend put the trip together. No Lexie and James with us. Lots of people there and a bunch of groups.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by comet24:...
Not sure I want to fork out the cost for a tray, arms, and strobes to end up with a larger platform that I am now a slave to the entire dive. Really like just clipping it off and diving when I want.

I hear you. When my Nikonos system became obsolete, I really didn't miss all that, tray, strobes and such. Now, I just have a go-pro on a small tray with a double ender.

I found, when shooting a lot, I would get so focused on shooting, that I would "miss" the dive!

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Southflorida-law:
quote:
Originally posted by comet24:...

I hear you. When my Nikonos system became obsolete, I really didn't miss all that, tray, strobes and such. Now, I just have a go-pro on a small tray with a double ender.

I found, when shooting a lot, I would get so focused on shooting, that I would "miss" the dive!

With this setup, I too used a double ended to clip it off to my chest D-ring and it hung under my arm out of the way.

eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Have never dived, but would you be able to skip the red filter and shoot in RAW format and adjust the color in post processing? The red filter is going to cut down on some of the available light...so processing in raw might help in that regard.

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
Have never dived, but would you be able to skip the red filter and shoot in RAW format and adjust the color in post processing? The red filter is going to cut down on some of the available light...so processing in raw might help in that regard.

Yes, you can shot raw and forgo the filter. My problem with this newer camera is it shoot in 20mp and raw 20mp files are huge. AFAIK you can't downgrade the raw file size. I have always shot in raw with my DSLR(it's older and shoot 7mp) and would have with this new setup but I didn't want to have to handle those huge files. So I turned it down to 10mp jpg and added a filter. The red filter can also save time post-processing. It's all a give and take.

BBQ Sauce for Everyone!
Picture of TKO
posted Hide Post
Where did you stay/dive in Roatan?

Wife and I go there every year for a week of diving, sometimes two!

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

Posts: 8121 | Location: Phoenix AZ | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Stayed at Anthony's this time. I've been to Coco View before also.

Where do you stay?

BBQ Sauce for Everyone!
Picture of TKO
posted Hide Post
We stayed at Anthony's the week before Memorial Day this year. We have also done Coco View and Fantasy Island (across the bay from CCV)

We had such a good time at Anthony's Key that we booked a return for April next year. Our summer trip is the Nautilus Bel Amie diving Socorro next June.

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

Posts: 8121 | Location: Phoenix AZ | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Coco View has the best dive setup gear storage/tanks/boats I have seen.

Besides that, I think Anthony's beats out Coco View in most other categories.

Now if they could just improve processing arrivals and departures at the airport.

BBQ Sauce for Everyone!
Picture of TKO
posted Hide Post
No kidding. We did the AKR re-book just on price alone, though we had a great time there.

Stood in line for over an hour getting in this last trip. It was by far the most painful of all the trips to date. Getting out wasn't bad this time though.

The airport is going to get quite a facelift in the next couple of years. It will be interesting to see but I expect it will get worse before it gets better.

Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
I was in line to clear customs/immigration on the way in. No AC. Hot as hell, long lines moving slow. Then you can see the Dell symbol on some of the computer screens. Yep, the heat was crashing some of the computers. They really need to make some changes.