SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    Guard Dog on Duty
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Guard Dog on Duty Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted

"Mom, what are those? They look delici...uh, I mean, they look like they need to be protected!"

Daughter brought our dog down to the farm so we could work on her off-leash commands in a large fenced-in area. Had to get pretty stern with her to get her away from the chicken pen, but she did very well with "No!" and "come" commands. Very smart pup.

I think my wife is falling for her too, spent a lot of time petting her and talking to her. Even suggested to the daughter that she should bring her down with the new pup when he arrives so she can train them together.

Every once in a while, one of my devious plans bears fruit...

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15201 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
He is just thinking how he would love to just play with the chickens.
How do you protect them from the air,I think you have hawks and eagles up there.

Posts: 22409 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 45 Cal:
He is just thinking how he would love to just play with the chickens.
How do you protect them from the air,I think you have hawks and eagles up there.

I just blew ~$200 on aviary netting. If you look to the left of the picture, you can see a row of poles. That's 10 foot sticks of 1/2 EMT driven into the ground. PVC tee fitting driven into the top, wire rope threaded through the tees and secured to the chain link on each end. The EMT is on a 10x10 foot grid. Aviary netting draped over the wire rope and secured to the fence on the edges.

Wire rope is overkill, but I had a whole spool of the stuff on hand that somebody gave me, so that's what I used.

Posts: 15201 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
"Mom, what are those? They look delici...uh, I mean, they look like they need to be protected!"

The Northern breeds of dog tend to be stubborn. I would not trust her too far at first. We have one.

Posts: 10781 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

The Northern breeds of dog tend to be stubborn. I would not trust her too far at first. We have one.

I agree. I'm fairly certain it's too late to try to train her to leave the chickens alone. The last dog I had that I could trust with chickens was started with them the day she came home with me.

Thanks to the #($ing foxes, eagles and hawks, they're kept penned up all the time anyway so it won't be an issue.