SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    I got bored, so I built a birdhouse (updated 5/11/20 with bird pics)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I got bored, so I built a birdhouse (updated 5/11/20 with bird pics) Login/Join 
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted
I am not handy at woodworking. I can do basic things, but even my birdhouses turn out a bit wonky. But I cut down a huge Bradford Pear tree two years ago and the bark and the wood just doesn't deteriorate. I've got a bunch of it stacked for firewood. I decided to cut some open and see what the wood looked like. It's really stunning wood. So I split a piece of wood and peeled some bark to mount on the front face of my birdhouse. I thought it turned out kinda decent. Still a little tacky in the photos and needs to be steel wooled and a second coat put on it.

LOL, I had to use weather stripping to fix a gap between the side wall and the hinged roof.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Micropterus,

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of barry1967
posted Hide Post
Your local birds will be proud! and happy

More than a few, less than others!

Posts: 1199 | Location: Rhode Island | Registered: June 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Looks great to me! Love the front! Curb appeal! Big Grin

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38599 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good looking, what size hole ? Did you just start building or did you get plans ?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bendable,

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
Good looking, what size hole ? Did you just building or did you get plans ?

The hole is 1 1/2 inch. Supposedly good for smaller songbirds like bluebirds, chickadees and titmice.

No, I didn't use plans. I'm not that advanced. I eye-ball everything. I've built a few so far and used an old bird house as a model.

What I usually do is cut the face to a size that is "about right" then cut all the walls, floors, and roof based on fitting them to the face and marking them. I don't measure anything - I'm not that advanced. I do use a square, though.

I use countersunk 2 1/2" wood screws and Gorilla wood glue to hold it all together.

After my first two birdhouses I learned that the inside of the box needed to be rough so fledgling birds can get a toe hold to get out. So in every subsequent box I built a sort of ladder system that a baby bird can use to get out. On this one, I used cut strip so bark on the inside to form ladder rungs.

Here is it before the finish applied to the face.

This was the house I made before this one. It's a woodpecker or large songbird box with a 2 inch hole. I had a cut stump of Bradford Pear sitting in the backyard and the bark came off in one big sheet. I was like, "that's kinda cool. Wonder what I can use it for?" So I soaked it in water for a day then flattened for a week under bags of concrete. I used is to mount to the face of the woodpecker house. I was able to preserve the woodpecker holes that were already in the bark.

These are the first three I made.

#3 in the pic was my first attempt. A little too small and the hole is a bit too big. And I didn't make a way to open it to clean it out. Nevertheless, a chickadee now calls it home.

#1 was my 2nd attempt. Still, no way to open it to clean it out. And the hole is too low on the face. And, I was careless and put 7 rows of shingles on one side and 8 on the other. Still, some shameless chickadee is living in this now, too.

# 4 was my 3rd house. The first one that I did right, but only after learning I did it wrong. I nailed it all together and when mounting it found that it was coming apart so I disassembled it, glued and screwed it. The front face slides off once you take those brass screws out. A titmouse is now in this one.

#2 isn't mine. It was at my mother-in-laws house until recently. She died about 9 years ago and this was left to deteriorate in her backyard. I took it and replaced the rotted floor, and used a dremel to mill out all the rot that formed along various cracks and used plastic wood filler to build those areas back up. I tried to repaint it the way it was when I found it, though most of the paint was already gone. A bluebird now lives in this.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I sold most of my power tools , I am in an apt. now and did not want to disturb the neighbors.

If I had a 16 x 16 ft. shop I'd build bird houses and feeders , pretty much 5 days a week.

If you contact the county and state parks , they might have a list of the feeders or houses or nest boxes that they have a need for.

I quit making houses and boxes for people because they did not want to take the time to put them where they belong or maintain them .

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Fusternc
posted Hide Post
Very nice! Now you got me thinking about all the downed Black Locust wood I have at my disposal....I may have to make one now.

Posts: 1373 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Nice. The 1.5” hole sounds right for Bluebirds, Tree Swallows & a few others.

Bluebirds like open areas, kinda like golf course settings. Near trees & brush Wrens May move in. The only birds I evict are English(House) Sparrows. Starlings know enough to stay away.

I use metal poles, wood poles are a death sentence to MANY broods. After a while you’ll see scratch marks from climbing scavengers.

I know their common, but birds don’t really need a perch below the hole. It’s less an issue but can also be used by an aggressive species to look for lunch.

Posts: 6129 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Great job! I'm sure the birds will be glad to move in to their new homes. Did you also build that bench too in the past? Reminds me of when I built our front deck and benches. I also built a standing table that palms grow thru in the middle. Now many years later, though the benches and table/palms are still there, the original wood decking has been replaced by artistic stamped concrete.

I used to enjoy building and constructing my original front deck project, it was great to sit out among my front yard jungle at night and enjoy the fresh coastal breezes. Still do once in awhile.

Great job though, and thanks for the memories Smile

My benches have now been up almost 25yrs and thru all hurricanes and steaming hot humid rainy South Florida weather it has survived, The wood decking, not so much as now replaced by the stamped concrete. It was my first wood building project and has lasted...so far, that is.
I say great job Micropterus and any new wood projects please post, would enjoy seeing them!

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Micropterus, I you'd get the chance, (I'm getting bored to death each day) I'd love to see some photo's of your deck and bench area in the photos. I was a complete amateur when I did my front benches. I had just purchased my first compound miter saw and needed a quick project so I did the front benches. The deck was already there when I purchased the house.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice work. Reminds me I have to put up a Hummingbird feeder I have.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13386 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for being
genuinely stupid
posted Hide Post
Looks like something I can pass time doing myself. Your work is very nice.

Posts: 340 | Location: Derby City KY. | Registered: April 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by just1tym:
Micropterus, I you'd get the chance, (I'm getting bored to death each day) I'd love to see some photo's of your deck and bench area in the photos. I was a complete amateur when I did my front benches. I had just purchased my first compound miter saw and needed a quick project so I did the front benches. The deck was already there when I purchased the house.

If you'll notice, the bench is square and well done. That means I did not do it. It came with my house. In fact, I'm starting to get to a point where I want a new deck to replace the one in the pics.

Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Micropterus:
quote:
Originally posted by just1tym:

If you'll notice, the bench is square and well done. That means I did not do it. It came with my house. In fact, I'm starting to get to a point where I want a new deck to replace the one in the pics.

Whoever did it by the photos, it looks like they did a pretty good job!

Regards, Will G.

Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
I built a birdhouse today, as well. We're have one with a nice chickadee nest and eggs so I built another one.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10472 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Those are awesome!

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34081 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:

Wood duck boxes?

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10472 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is correct. I,
made a dozen other,smaller bird houses, but didn't take pic's of them.

I found six very old barn boards at a garage sale for $15.00 to make the wood duck boxes.

we are talking 90 years old

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bendable,

Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
Very cool. I like those.