SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    Fascinating - Candle-powered "putt putt" boats
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fascinating - Candle-powered "putt putt" boats Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/e3eX4FKQHLM

Saw them on Ewe Toob and had to build one. Just a quickie job and putting around in the kitchen sink. I can see the great grandsons and I building bigger, more detailed versions.

Don't bother turning the sound up, just SWMBO and BiL chatting in the background. You can see the top of the "boiler" oilcanning as the steam bubbles drive the water out the tubes.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I dont get what is making it run. This, is a advanced technology isn't it Paul ? Something a mad scientist up in Maine would discover. This changes everything. Cool

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
I dont get what is making it run. This, is a advanced technology isn't it Paul ? Something a mad scientist up in Maine would discover. This changes everything. Cool

I don't fully understand it myself. The boiler is made from the domed bottom of a soda can, covered with a piece of the aluminum epoxied over the top to form a seal.

Two tubes are run from the bottom of the boiler and out the back of the boat.

You prime the jet tubes and the boiler with water (totaling a couple of teaspoonsful) and light a candle under it. After a minute or so, a steam bubble forms and pushes water out the tubes making for a jet-drive type propulsion.

Where I get confused is that somewhere in the cycle, fresh water is drawn into the boiler and the thing will run as long as the candle (or other heat source) lasts.

You can see the pulse effect at the rear of the "boat" as well as the top of the boiler oilcanning up and down.

The one part I do sort of get is that the water exiting the tube is forced into a straight jet by the tube, while the water being drawn in comes in from all directions 360° around the mouth of the tube so the inflow doesn't cancel the reaction force of the outflow. Beyond that, I'm clueless.

If someone understands and cares to explain the physics of it, I'd love to hear about it.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
Damn!...now I want some kipper snacks Big Grin

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
It works quite well. I dont grasp how but it looks like it is going back and forth between drawing in and outputting water. Someone on this Forum can explain what its doing. Pretty cool Paul.

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bisleyblackhawk:
Damn!...now I want some kipper snacks Big Grin

Big Grin

My wife hates when I eat those things. Must love me tho, bought another 3 tins of them when we went shopping today...

Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
How cool! I'd never heard of these. Wikipedia gives a pretty good explanation of the science...

Basically it's a pulse jet engine. The candle heats the water in the boiler to steam, which forces the columns of water in the exhaust tubes backward, and the boat forward. The boiler is now dry and cannot produce any more steam. Internal pressure drops, pulling water back into the tubes. You would expect the boat to then move backward to conserve momentum, but in fact the forward-moving columns of water quickly hit the wall of the boiler, retransferring all of their momentum back to the boat and cancelling out nearly all backward motion.

(The assymetry of the intake/exhaust helps to some degree, but is not the primary propulsion driver.)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: kkina,

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16267 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I imagine fitting a small remote controlled rudder on a larger version of PHPaul's boat and wondering how long you could putt around on a pond or other small still body of water with it.

Posts: 80 | Registered: July 21, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
How cool! I'd never heard of these. Wikipedia gives a pretty good explanation of the science...

Basically it's a pulse jet engine. The candle heats the water in the boiler to steam, which forces the columns of water in the exhaust tubes backward, and the boat forward. The boiler is now dry and cannot produce any more steam. Internal pressure drops, pulling water back into the tubes. You would expect the boat to then move backward to conserve momentum, but in fact the forward-moving columns of water quickly hit the wall of the boiler, retransferring all of their momentum back to the boat and cancelling out nearly all backward motion.

(The assymetry of the intake/exhaust helps to some degree, but is not the primary propulsion driver.)

Interesting! Thanks for the description.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38601 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black Pepper:
I imagine fitting a small remote controlled rudder on a larger version of PHPaul's boat and wondering how long you could putt around on a pond or other small still body of water with it.

That's been done, I may have to look into an inexpensive single channel RC rig. Always been fascinated by RC, but too spendy for me.

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
That’s really neat!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21078 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
quote:
Originally posted by Black Pepper:

That's been done, I may have to look into an inexpensive single channel RC rig. Always been fascinated by RC, but too spendy for me.

Curiosity got the best of me, so I built a bigger one with room for an inexpensive RC rig. Waiting on calm weather to try it out.

7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
This is going to be interesting to see. Next comes a 5 footer with dual Bernzomatics installed for a heat sorce.. Big Grin

Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
This is going to be interesting to see. Next comes a 5 footer with dual Bernzomatics installed for a heat sorce.. Big Grin

I like the way you think! I might go with butane micro-torches as an intermediate step tho... Big Grin

Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Mini torch thread

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
So THIS is what you Northern boys do when the snow drifts lock you in?

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slabsides45:
So THIS is what you Northern boys do when the snow drifts lock you in?

Well, my banjo is in the shop...

7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Needs to add a lil gun turrett with a barrel and a cork on a rubber band... Big Grin. The pressure builds, the pressure builds, the pressure builds and, Pop. Or maybe a tin of Jiffy Pop so you and the little ones can have a snack when the ship comes in.