SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    HAPPY HAPPY,Kodak Ektachrome is coming back..
Page 1 2 

Moderators: LDD
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

HAPPY HAPPY,Kodak Ektachrome is coming back.. Login/Join 
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ElmerKeith:

That photo really shows what was so nice about Kodachrome. The sharpness, but especially that warmth, luminous quality, and contrast, but without any garishness.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 42939 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Looking at life
thru a windshield
Picture of fischtown7
posted Hide Post
Yes^^digital just does not look like that.

Posts: 3072 | Location: FL, GA,HB, and all points beyond | Registered: February 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
I know it's not the same, but Fuji does a really good approximation of Kodachrome with their jpeg processing and lightroom/adobe raw camera profiles:

https://petapixel.com/2014/09/...r-feature-new-x100t/

Posts: 9201 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
Fujichrome was superior to Ektachrome.

Posts: 2542 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have shot some decent digital photos, but none that compare to my best color slide images from 30 years ago.

Posts: 5791 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
I have shot some decent digital photos, but none that compare to my best color slide images from 30 years ago.

The look of a well executed 11"x14" Ektachrome transparency, shot on an old Deardorf 11x14 view camera, through a German Rodestock lens,laid on a light box would make your toes curl.

Posts: 2542 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Looking at life
thru a windshield
Picture of fischtown7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
I know it's not the same, but Fuji does a really good approximation of Kodachrome with their jpeg processing and lightroom/adobe raw camera profiles:

Those were very impressive.

Posts: 3072 | Location: FL, GA,HB, and all points beyond | Registered: February 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fischtown7:
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:

Those were very impressive.

I like Fuji's Classic Chrome processing. I find myself drawn to the desaturated, natural, colors whenever I post process my work.

Posts: 9201 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have some shots from 2000, my first trip to Europe. I know I could not replicate those on digital. The yellow/gold color inside the Queen's Chapel at the Tower of London.

And the hit that film cameras took! My father in law retired in the 1980s from Bethlehem Steel, as a foreman. He got into landscape photography and shot weddings. He never showed a profit , always plowed the $ back into his equipment, mostly Hassablad . He lived near Gettysburg PA, and got such incredible photos at sunrise with the fog. You thought of the men facing battle, like you were there. He passed away, and by that time digital had surpassed film, and drove down the value of his $100,000 Hassablad collection. His widow did not get much of that $100k back.

4 years ago a professional camera shop owner was talking about only being able to give a customer turning in a $5000 Nikon film camera body $40 for it. Hope he made a lot of money shooting professionally, and did not just have it in the drawer.

Posts: 864 | Location: Portsmouth, NH | Registered: October 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post