SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    HAPPY HAPPY,Kodak Ektachrome is coming back..
Page 1 2 

Moderators: LDD

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
HAPPY HAPPY,Kodak Ektachrome is coming back.. Login/Join 
Looking at life
thru a windshield
Picture of fischtown7
posted
Link to article.

I love shooting film and this made my day.

NASA used it.

NASA

Posts: 3098 | Location: FL, GA,HB, and all points beyond | Registered: February 10, 2010Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I shot some of my favorite pics on Ektachrome, and only a couple years ago had some reprinted to send to my college roommate from a picnic we attended in the late 1960's.

The article indicated that the new film will be for prints and not slides, but I'll take what I can get and dust off my Nikkormat.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

Posts: 6712 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Report This Post
Looking at life
thru a windshield
Picture of fischtown7
posted Hide Post
The box says color reversal film and another article said slide flim so I am hoping thats what it is. i reread the article but did not see where it says its only print film.

Posts: 3098 | Location: FL, GA,HB, and all points beyond | Registered: February 10, 2010Report This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
From the Kodak news release:

KODAK PROFESSIONAL EKTACHROME Film is a color positive film, also known as “reversal,” “slide,” or “transparency” film. Unlike all of the other KODAK PROFESSIONAL Films available today, which are color negative films, EKTACHROME generates a positive image that can be viewed or projected once it is exposed and processed. This makes it ideal for high-resolution projection or presentations. It is also well suited for scanning and printing onto a range of professional-grade photographic media. Availability is expected in the fourth quarter of 2017.

Posts: 10709 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Report This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
Loved the stuff. But in today's digital world, I wonder how much it will be used. My 35mm camera is still in deep storage, along with my 110 camera I received as a kid.

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 24305 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GaryBF:
From the Kodak news release:

KODAK PROFESSIONAL EKTACHROME Film is a color positive film, also known as “reversal,” “slide,” or “transparency” film.

Even better! Cool

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

Posts: 6712 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Report This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Most of the slides I took in my film camera days were on Ektachrome. I have scanned a lot of them into digital format, but have several thousand that have not been. (Some day!) I actually preferred the color rendition of Ektachrome to that of Kodachrome--I thought the blues and purples were a lot better (and the film was faster).

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

When they ask me, "Paper or plastic?" I just say, "Doesn't matter to me. I am bi-sacksual."

Posts: 18612 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Report This Post
Looking at life
thru a windshield
Picture of fischtown7
posted Hide Post
I was reading one article about how Kodachrome maintains its colors better long term than Ektachrome so scan as soon as you get it back. They have no plans on bringing back Kodachrome because it was so hard to develop and most of those with the skill and knowledge are gone.

Looking at life
thru a windshield
Picture of fischtown7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IrishWind:
Loved the stuff. But in today's digital world, I wonder how much it will be used. My 35mm camera is still in deep storage, along with my 110 camera I received as a kid.

Film has been making a comeback that is why they are bringing it back.

Ball Haulin'
Picture of entropy
posted Hide Post
Not a camera guy, nor a music guy. I do have an old Minolta in the closet somewhere though...

For those who are, what's driving it? From talking to music folks I understand the old vacuum tube amplifiers are coming back along with vinyl. I guess the sound produced is more rich and genuine compared to digital? My Dad was a true audiophile. I can hear him snickering up there now. Before he passed, he just caught the beginning of digital music and was not impressed. Same with film?

--------------------------------------
"There are things we know. There are things we dont know. Then there are the things we dont know that we dont know."

Posts: 10013 | Location: At the end of the gravel road. | Registered: November 02, 2006Report This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I believe digital photography is just now beginning to approach the detail possible with Kodachrome®. The "pixels" (grains) in that film are almost molecular in size and it takes high magnification to see individual ones. I think it probably rates at least 100MP in today's ratings.

flashguy

When they ask me, "Paper or plastic?" I just say, "Doesn't matter to me. I am bi-sacksual."

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Kodachrome was certainly sharp. But even more, the color palette was unmistakable.

I liked Ektachrome, and you could get some unusual and cool effects with it.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 43814 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I actually liked Ektachrome more than Kodachrome for its color balance and intensity, only used Kodachrome when the other was not available.

-- H L Mencken

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
It also fueled the music industry

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLsDxvAErTU

Kodachrome
They give us those nice bright colors
They give us the greens of summers
Makes you think all the world's a sunny day
I got a Nikon camera
I love to take a photograph
So mama don't take my Kodachrome away

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." Winston Churchill

Posts: 10803 | Location: Mouseville, FL | Registered: November 07, 2008Report This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
I shot LOTS of medium format Ektachrome.
Miles of it. It's for transparencies for a scanner.

Before there was man, the parrot ruled the world. Now man rules the world and the parrot has not forgiven - Native American Proverb.

Posts: 37741 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
I actually liked Ektachrome more than Kodachrome for its color balance and intensity, only used Kodachrome when the other was not available.

So did I! But I liked the very fine grain of K64 and K25 a lot.

When they introduced the Ektar 25 it became my favorite with negative films.

A fine collection of old Kodachrome pics you may find here:

http://www.shorpy.com/search/node/kodachrome?page=1

One of my favorites:

Posts: 122 | Location: Teutoburger Wald, Germany | Registered: June 13, 2007Report This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
My goodness I shot mountains of this in the 80's.

Very cool.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 7376 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Report This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
People still use film cameras??????

Posts: 17116 | Registered: November 05, 2003Report This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
This is probably my overall favorite photo originally shot on Ektachrome®:

Helicopter4b.jpg
by David Casteel, on Flickr (1964 at Cartwright Air Station, Labrador)

flashguy

Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I shot and processed E3 then E6 Ektachrome mostly in 8x10 format in view cameras for over 25 years.

Loved the whole thing about film. Filters to balance color,push,pull processing, testing for color balance each time you received a new emulsion number, calculating exposures and film reciprocity . Photography was a different animal back in the day.
I quit the business when it went digital, It no longer was fun to me.
GLAD to see it back!
Like meeting up with a old friend.

Posts: 2608 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Report This Post