SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    Recoil Spring From A Tank
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recoil Spring From A Tank Login/Join 
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted
Just a few pics of the recoil spring and assemblies and the gun mount from the M256 cannon in an Abrams.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Way cool!
Thanks, mbinky.

God bless America.

Posts: 13425 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
One of the famous Colorado Springs

DSC_2206.jpg
by David Casteel, on Flickr
(support spring from Cheyenne Mountain complex)

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Dam..I think my spring lost... Smile I am gonna take my shortbread cookies and go home..

Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Hey it has been a long week, so besides this post I want to say Semper Fi. For Ritchie and all the boys.

Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
Dam..I think my spring lost... Smile I am gonna take my shortbread cookies and go home..
Don't despair--the one I posted isn't mobile.

flashguy

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
That is a big sucker,it would be hard to loose. Wink

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of crash
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 45 Cal:
That is a big sucker,it would be hard to loose. Wink

Pfft. You haven't seen my carpet. We'are talking serious 70's/Three's Company shag...

"If the wind is not against you, it is not blowing."

Posts: 1281 | Location: Down East | Registered: January 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Does Wolffe make a replacement for that spring?

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
What the usable lifespan of one of those barrels?

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20303 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
You can tell by the smileys. (smilies?) What's the plural of "smiley?"

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:

RMD

About 1500 EFC (effective full charge). Since everything today pretty much counts as 1 EFC, 1500 rounds.

ETA: That is the tube. The spring, it does not wear out. I have seen one broken spring in 25 years. I told the boys that did this job that if they spend 20 years in the Corps, they will be among a handful that have ever actually replaced a gun mount. Good training.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mbinky,

Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
I'll bet WOLFF does not make springs for that.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tiger 2 Tank
posted Hide Post
So cool! Thanks for showing that.

Posts: 968 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
we replaced the barrel of our 76mm guns at 1500 rounds too....

and after doing a few gun barrel inspections, the checking and alligatoring is already eating the leade and wearing the gun barrel into nothing...

I always wanted to see how that made the barrels..my Pop-Pop told me he saw it during WWII in the center of the USA...

cool disassembly

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
I have not seen an Abrams tube made but I have seen the chain gun tubes made at ATK. It's an etching process to make the rifling. Reminds me of how S&W started to make some revolver barrels. Of course since the M256 uses a smooth bore it is obviously different. Watervielt Arsenal in NY is the only place they are made (well besides Germany).

As long as they are taken care of they easily make their lifespan. Of course, there is always that one TC who likes to hit it with the .50....

Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
^^^^^ I'm assuming that damage is to some sort of fabric covering. I wouldn't think even a .50 could damage a big gun barrel like that.

flashguy

Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
The visible damage is the thermal shroud (light outer metal). But yes the tube had to be replaced. Although it did not get pierced, it does not take well to getting hit by caliber .50 rounds from a few yards away...

Here is a horrible video of the gun firing. The TC took it to try and diagnose a failure to lock open/eject issue (lol the magazine springs were good). It actually helped quite a bit and we were able to repair the issue.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mbinky,

Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by az4783054:
I'll bet WOLFF does not make springs for that.

They do, but you must buy them in a pack.

Posts: 4609 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Well, you don't see that every day. Is there a special permit for the short barrel? Smile

Question for the Army tankers. Do you always connect the tow bars directly to the attachment point? I ask because the USMC hooks that leg with a clevis so it does not sit up so high. The bars are at or below the slope. I notice this tiger has a brand new green bore evac also...