SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    Some Bears and Alligators, and other critters, from today (lots of pics)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Some Bears and Alligators, and other critters, from today (lots of pics) Login/Join 
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted
Went to Alligator River NWR in north eastern North Carolina for father's day. What a great day.

The flies were thicker than I've ever seen them. I was slathered in Deep Woods Off and the deer flies were biting right through it. I think I'm anemic now. I might have malaria, who knows. I was bitten so much, I actually had blood running on my legs. But the place lived up to its name. I saw more Alligators today than any past trip. And lots of other stuff, too.

Lots of bears about.

Front paw.

Rear foot.

A nice family in newly planted soy.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
This poor girl was absolutely tormented by flies. That's what all those white dots are. There were so many flies, it threw off my auto-focus.

Mr. Owl didn't seem fazed by the bugs.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
I found some Red Wolf tracks. The Red Wolf is the rarest large mammal in North America.

This doe actually walked about 50 yards across a field to within 30 feet of me. No doubt for me to swat that horsefly in her skinny rump.

Peekaboo.

Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
Alligator River finally lived up to its name. I haven't seen a gator there since 2018. Today, I saw four. All just a few years old.

Number one:

Number two, and the biggest of the day. About 4 feet long:

Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
Number three:

Number four:

Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
What an amazing place, I'd love to go there. Thanks for the photos. But those flies!!

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3388 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for being
genuinely stupid
posted Hide Post
Absolutely awesome beautiful photos.

Posts: 340 | Location: Derby City KY. | Registered: April 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Those alligators are beautiful. Nice pics.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good stuff, thanks!

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Jeff Cooper

Posts: 8756 | Location: UT | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Triggers don't
pull themselves
Picture of mdblanton
posted Hide Post
Great pics and a beautiful location.

Michael

Posts: 1093 | Location: Petal, MS | Registered: January 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Cool

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
Bears, gators and critters oh my!

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post