SIGforum
Some Bears and Alligators, and other critters, from today (lots of pics)

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9666031561/m/4520025174

June 21, 2020, 09:52 PM
Micropterus
Some Bears and Alligators, and other critters, from today (lots of pics)
Went to Alligator River NWR in north eastern North Carolina for father's day. What a great day.

The flies were thicker than I've ever seen them. I was slathered in Deep Woods Off and the deer flies were biting right through it. I think I'm anemic now. I might have malaria, who knows. I was bitten so much, I actually had blood running on my legs. But the place lived up to its name. I saw more Alligators today than any past trip. And lots of other stuff, too.

Lots of bears about.

Front paw.

Rear foot.

A nice family in newly planted soy.

June 21, 2020, 09:55 PM
Micropterus
This poor girl was absolutely tormented by flies. That's what all those white dots are. There were so many flies, it threw off my auto-focus.

Mr. Owl didn't seem fazed by the bugs.

June 21, 2020, 09:58 PM
Micropterus
I found some Red Wolf tracks. The Red Wolf is the rarest large mammal in North America.

This doe actually walked about 50 yards across a field to within 30 feet of me. No doubt for me to swat that horsefly in her skinny rump.

Peekaboo.

June 21, 2020, 10:00 PM
Micropterus
Alligator River finally lived up to its name. I haven't seen a gator there since 2018. Today, I saw four. All just a few years old.

Number one:

Number two, and the biggest of the day. About 4 feet long:

June 21, 2020, 10:01 PM
Micropterus
Number three:

Number four:

June 22, 2020, 08:40 AM
UTsig
What an amazing place, I'd love to go there. Thanks for the photos. But those flies!!

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.
June 25, 2020, 04:26 AM
ifithitu
Absolutely awesome beautiful photos.
June 25, 2020, 10:00 AM
Graniteguy
Those alligators are beautiful. Nice pics.
June 25, 2020, 10:46 AM
Chris Orndorff
Good stuff, thanks!

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Jeff Cooper

June 25, 2020, 03:11 PM
mdblanton
Great pics and a beautiful location.

Michael
June 25, 2020, 08:31 PM
jhe888
Cool

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.
June 27, 2020, 10:29 AM
Texas Bob C.
Bears, gators and critters oh my!