SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    Goldberg's the name...Rube Goldberg...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Goldberg's the name...Rube Goldberg... Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted

I've been wanting a way to trim ditches and under trees.

Sicklebar and disc mowers are just stupid expensive and it doesn't make any sense to spend four or five grand on something you'll use for 2 hours twice a year, if that.

They sell a commercial version of a 3 point hitch mounted string trimmer for compact tractors, but it's $1000 plus shipping and taxes, again more than I wanted to spend.

Being a serious packrat, I had most of what I needed to make my own. I had the gearbox, the trimmer head, the PTO shaft and most of the steel. Plus, it's a major hobby of mine, making my own equipment whenever practical.

I've got about $200 or $250 in it with pulleys, bearings, belts, shafts and what extra steel I had to buy.

I'm pleased with how well it works, tho there will no doubt be modifications as I use it and find the weak points or have better ideas.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15209 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Nice! Seems like it would be much easier to start than a regular weed eater, too.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17269 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
Nice! Seems like it would be much easier to start than a regular weed eater, too.

And has a cup holder.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodman:
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:

And has a cup holder.

And air conditioning. And power steering. Big Grin

Life is good...

Posts: 15209 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
The only flaw I see is the need to get out every 5 minutes or so, pick up the tractor, and bang it on the ground to advance more string.

Big Grin

Posts: 32494 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
The only flaw I see is the need to get out every 5 minutes or so, pick up the tractor, and bang it on the ground to advance more string.

Big Grin

Oh-oh, didn't consider that... Big Grin

Actually, I'm getting much better life out of the string than I expected. It's about .125 diameter and ribbed (insert pleasure joke here...). I just whacked about 600' of ditch and around some trees and rocks and such and the ends are a bit frayed but still plenty of life left.

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
For $250, anyJuan could come and do it twice a year for about three or four years. That Juan is invaluable.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
Pretty nifty.

Posts: 5694 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
For $250, anyJuan could come and do it twice a year for about three or four years. That Juan is invaluable.

True, but the Juan problem with that is that I wouldn't have gotten to spend 3 days out in the shop with fire and sparks and big fucking hammers!

I love the smell of welding smoke and hot grease in the morning...

posted Hide Post
I have three hundred feet of weeds on the side of the county road that blocks ones sight of the road.

I found a sickle mower, but not a tractor,
four months later I found the tractor , but of course the sickle was gone Mad

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54603 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10 November, 1775
Picture of MarinetoRN
posted Hide Post
Something like that on the hunting club would be great!!

SiGArm'd

P220ST X2, 1911 Revolution, P245, P229 RTTEQ/ST .40 X2, P226ST, Mosquito
Other weaponry not SIG

Glocks are ugly.
I don't like repeat offenders, I like dead offenders.

Posts: 2471 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: August 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Well done! RPMs reasonable for the trimmer head? (won't fling itself apart and smack you upside the head?).

Posts: 11377 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
Well done! RPMs reasonable for the trimmer head? (won't fling itself apart and smack you upside the head?).

Going by memory (not a great idea...) the walk-behind trimmer the string head came off used 1:1 between the engine and the string head. Most small engines run at 3600 RPM, so I used that as a target number. Seems to work okay.

I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
Seems pretty smart to me!

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I saw the thread title and the author and panicked just a little. But it all looks really good.

Very nice. I could use something like that here to clear the lake sides.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12768 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
I saw the thread title and the author and panicked just a little. But it all looks really good.

Very nice. I could use something like that here to clear the lake sides.

Razz Big Grin

Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I was hoping for a steam powered, belt driven, six fingered chicken plucker!

That's a really cool machine. You have great shop skills.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12768 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
I'll send you $350 for your efforts, and you can just ship that sucker right on down to me. 'preciate you, bud. Razz

What about steel cable, wire or small chain when the plastic wears out?

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slabsides45:
I'll send you $350 for your efforts, and you can just ship that sucker right on down to me. 'preciate you, bud. Razz

What about steel cable, wire or small chain when the plastic wears out?

I have a spool of small diameter (maybe 1/16th) stainless steel wire rope I was given and some crimp on ferrules. Might have to try that.