SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    The 1 ounce absolute ruler of the feeder
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The 1 ounce absolute ruler of the feeder Login/Join 
Busier than a cat covering
crap on a marble floor
Picture of Z06
posted
Meet Napoleon:

If he weighs more that an oz. I'd be surprised. He will run off good sized woodpeckers and any other smartass birds that dare try to sip from HIS feeder. Other humming birds don't even try anymore.
In the 19 years we've had feeders out there has never been any H-Bird like this one.

Posts: 3997 | Location: AZ | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Beautiful Mind
Picture of DetonicsMk6
posted Hide Post
What a gorgeous picture!

Posts: 4801 | Registered: March 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
crap on a marble floor
Picture of Z06
posted Hide Post
Thank you. The best part is that he rests directly next to the kitchen window and 'poses' for 1/2 hour at a time. He has his back to the feeder and looks right into the camera.
He does leave to run off others but returns to watch us.

Posts: 3997 | Location: AZ | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Very cool!

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's weird coloration,
What the breed?

What county r u in?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
Great capture. What gear are you using?

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9676 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
That’s too funny... my mom has H Bird feeders up and was just telling me about a pissy little one that runs all the other hummingbirds off.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6996 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Beautiful bird, and an amazing picture. The composition is great and the lighting looks surreal. Wow.

It’s fun to see how territorial some of them will get. When I was a boy, we had a feeder on the back patio and there were these iridescent green and purple hummingbirds that frequented it until this larger one with a red head showed up and chased them off. Looked like something out of a war flick with aerial dogfights.

Posts: 17055 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
crap on a marble floor
Picture of Z06
posted Hide Post
Not sure of the breed. USA.

Nikon D7100 - 55-300mm Nikkor

posted Hide Post
Great shot, beautiful little guy.

Posts: 3580 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of huskerlrrp
posted Hide Post
Excellent photograph. They are fast birds! They are also very territorial in the Southeast and "fights" are a commonplace at the feeder. For the most part, we get Ruby Throated variety.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: huskerlrrp,

Posts: 1788 | Location: North Cackalacky | Registered: September 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Z06:
Not sure of the breed. USA.

Nikon D7100 - 55-300mm Nikkor

Costa's Hummingbird. We've got plenty of varieties of hummingbirds here. Just another advantage of living in Arizona, eh?

https://www.hummingbirdsplus.org/species/costas/

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10187 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
crap on a marble floor
Picture of Z06
posted Hide Post
Thanks pulicords, I posted this guy a little over a year ago

and someone mentioned that it was a a Costa's. This one (smaller than a golf ball) was also hell on wings with any other flying critter that dared try to use "his" feeder.
He did let me photograph him outside.

Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
Great picture, what a colorful critter. We have black chinned here, not near as much color.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3388 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I remember we had 7 or 8 that would share the three feeders, nice as nice could be.
Back in AZ.

Up here in the mid west, they seem bitchy.

I wonder if something in their world is causing behavior problems.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Beautiful image Z! Napoleon looks to be quite the character, he looks content to be part of the family Smile

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JSW
posted Hide Post
Great photo!

Posts: 520 | Registered: June 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog!

Posts: 17342 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pcshooter
posted Hide Post
Reminds me of an essay from college, Joyas Voladoras.

Posts: 751 | Location: Free State of Utah | Registered: December 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
All the time
Picture of Gear.Up
posted Hide Post
Z06:

I always click on a photo thread with one of your posts, but that shot is on another level. Very nice!

Posts: 2320 | Location: East TN | Registered: July 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post