SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    I got too close!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I got too close! Login/Join 
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted
I was at the Alligator River National Wildlife Refuge again today and came across this gorgeous Black/Yellow Rat Snake hybrid trying to look like a stick in the road.

They only let you think they are a stick for so long.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Well, you went and made him mad, alright!

I know they're harmless, but that middle picture is still a whole lotta "fuck that" for me. Eek

Great pics, man. Cool

Posts: 17110 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
He's a grumpy one!

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
What did you do,throw a rock at it to piss it off.
I have picked them up and found them gentle.

Posts: 22409 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
I didn't fall for his "lookin like a stick" trick.

Seriously, though, I think he saw his reflection in the lens and started freaking out.

Every black rat snake I've ever caught was very docile. Here's a 6 foot female that was so docile i could let her hang on my neck. But when she saw her reflection in the lens, she freaked out.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
Here's one I found swimming far out in the middle of the lake. She let me pick her up and was not aggressive at all - as if she was a pet.

Picture of rmc85
posted Hide Post
Obviously people call different snakes different names regionally, the I’ve not met a rat/corn snake that won’t try to bite you around my area.

Those last two look very different from the first (to me).

Posts: 2997 | Location: FL | Registered: March 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
The first one is a black rat snake/yellow rat snake intergrade. The second two are pure black rat snakes.

The black rat snake and the yellow rat snake are the same genus and species, but are colored differently and have a little different habits (yellow is more arboreal, the black more terrestrial), Their habitats overlap and since they are the same genus and species, they can and do interbreed. When they do, the produce a snake that looks like the first one.

Here's a yellow rat snake (not my picture).

posted Hide Post
Those are beautiful snakes. I'm partial to the kings myself, but rat snakes are go anywhere, do anything iconic North American snakes. Nice shots...

Posts: 153 | Registered: December 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rmc85
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Micropterus:
The first one is a black rat snake/yellow rat snake intergrade. The second two are pure black rat snakes.

The black rat snake and the yellow rat snake are the same genus and species, but are colored differently and have a little different habits (yellow is more arboreal, the black more terrestrial), Their habitats overlap and since they are the same genus and species, they can and do interbreed. When they do, the produce a snake that looks like the first one.

Here's a yellow rat snake (not my picture).

I guess we'd need to go off scientific names. I'm sure VA and FL have very similar snakes. first is a black rat snake here to my knowledge. Those last two look like a southern black racer to me and crazy fat ones at that.

Again I've never met a rat/racer snake that wont pull back and try to bite the mess out of me.

Posts: 2997 | Location: FL | Registered: March 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
The Black Racers and Black Rat Snakes do have some color similarities.

Here's a Northern Black Racer (very similar to a Southern), that I found under an old tarp on same game land.

Here's a Black Rat.

The Racers are smaller when full grown. In my experience, Racers are way more agressive. (The only snake in my life that ever came at me was a Black Racer.) I usually don't even bother picking up Racers since they are so pissy. The Racers also have a round body profile in cross section. The Rat snake profile in cross section is like a loaf of bread.

Both snakes are called Black Snake by folks who don't know the difference. Both are voracious pest eaters. They live in the same areas. And to cofuse things further, the Black Rat (Pantherophis obsoletus) is a true constrictor. The Racer is only a constrictor in name (Coluber Constrictor), The Racer actually chases down its food, over powers it, and swallows it alive.

Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

The racer also moves a bit faster, at least the ones here in AZ do (very fast).

Posts: 10782 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
Well, you went and made him mad, alright!

I know they're harmless, but that middle picture is still a whole lotta "fuck that" for me. Eek

Great pics, man. Cool

YEP, ditto that!

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5705 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I just flat don’t like snakes.
Where I grew up in Ohio we had tons of garter snakes and black rat snakes. They wouldn’t bother you pretty much no matter what you did to them.

We’d come across blue racers on occasions and those little bastards were nasty and they are crazy fast. They’d race after us on occasion when we were on dirt bikes and in a straight line kept up pretty well.

Never realized their were black racers too don’t think I ever came across one.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25408 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
here in Centrl VA, (and in Halifax where my grandparents lived) a black snake was a black snake,

and then there are racers,

some folks called black snakes racers too, (they tended to raise there head up and haul ass)

we , as kids, were under strick orders (or grandma pulled out the switch) to never mess with a black snake,
unless found in the chicken coop, then that one would be relocated to a corn crib,

NEVER kill a black snake, (remember her vividly telling us that)

a few years ago I saw a rather long brown snake go thru the weeds around my garden then thru it and exit out back towards the woods,

thought at first it was a copper head, and was gonna dispatch it,,,
as in relocate ,,, maybe,,,

however the color and patterns were not right, and when I got a good look the head and eyes, I think it was actually a juvy racer, (according to pics I found on the net at the time)

it was scooting right along, and gone thru the woods in no time

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice photos!

Posts: 5283 | Location: GA | Registered: July 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

The racer also moves a bit faster, at least the ones here in AZ do (very fast).

We have a couple of King snakes in our neighborhood that keep the baby Diamondbacks in check.

Sometimes in the morning one would scare the hell out of a girl on her way to work.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
We have a couple of King snakes in our neighborhood that keep the baby Diamondbacks in check.

Diamondbacks seem to be the most prevalent rattlers around Wickenburg, except for our neighborhood, which seems to be some sort of Mohave haven. In over 15 years here, in our neighborhood, I've seen about 90% Mohaves and but a few Diamondbacks. But we also have plenty of King snakes, garters, racers, and the one I thing is the most beautiful (and useful) is the Sonoran Gopher snake.

Posts: 10782 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
Diamondbacks seem to be the most prevalent rattlers around Wickenburg, except for our neighborhood, which seems to be some sort of Mohave haven. In over 15 years here, in our neighborhood, I've seen about 90% Mohaves and but a few Diamondbacks. But we also have plenty of King snakes, garters, racers, and the one I thing is the most beautiful (and useful) is the Sonoran Gopher snake.

Beautiful pic of a beautiful snake!!! We just moved to Arizona in July and I'm looking forward to seeing some of local snakes up close! We had Gopher snakes where I previously lived in Los Angeles County (CA), but I think the Sonoran variety are much more colorful!!!

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10194 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pulicords:
We had Gopher snakes where I previously lived in Los Angeles County (CA), but I think the Sonoran variety are much more colorful!!!

I remember your picture of one in CA with its head down a hole.