SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    3rd Infantry Division Museum Ft. Stewart, GA. (pic heavy)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

3rd Infantry Division Museum Ft. Stewart, GA. (pic heavy) Login/Join 
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted
Here are some pics from the 3rd Infantry Division Museum at Ft. Stewart, GA. I didn’t have my real camera so I apologize for the iPhone pics.

It was a pretty nice museum, I loved seeing Audie Murphy’s display and his M1 Carbine. There were also a few other weapons there from famous 3rd ID Soldiers. The displays were laid out in a nice chronological order of the history of the division. The gold guns from Saddam were amazing. Talk about bling! Worth an hour of your time if you happen to be in the area.

“Rock Of The Marne”

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great post! I have not been there in several years now and it looks like they updated the displays a good bit. Do they still have the T72 inside on display?

Posts: 130 | Location: GA | Registered: April 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the cool pics. I always enjoy viewing WW2 items. The Murphy display is very nice. Is that his actual gear?

Posts: 6845 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
I didnt see a T72 inside, but that would have been cool. And yes as far as I know the Lt. Murphy display is all of his actual gear. There were a few displays with famous Third Division soldiers and they all had their actual gear and weapons.

I love museums because they are a connection to our past. A real, tangible connection you can see and feel. This museum reminded me of the one at Ft. Knox with the lighting and the displays. I need to get back there it's been a few years. I'll post some pics I took of it back in 2014 or so in a bit.

Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
Thank you for sharing your photos. I hope someday to be able to see it for myself.

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11143 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
I may have to go visit.

First thing after arriving in Wurzburg, "To Hell and back" was required watching as an FNG in the Third

Posts: 5302 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
That's my division! '92 to '95 with duty at Schweinfurt and Katterbach.

Great memories. Thanks for posting.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12748 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm stationed in 3ID for the second time right now. They used to make all Soldiers go to the museum as part of the inprocessing but not any more.

It's a shame, most Soldiers wearing the broken TV patch on their left shoulders are unaware of the history of their own division.

Posts: 2014 | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
It hit 84 degrees down there a few months ago!

2nd Tanks from Camp Lejeune was down there back in February. You have an AWESOME tank range. The MPRC and training areas are very nice. LOL we had so many crews UNK on the dry runs they bitched and complained it was too difficult. They were WAY too used to the range at CLNC. Awesome training out at Stewart. Change keeps the kids on their toes and lets them know life isn't always a static range (even if you are shooting it with a tank).

Stay safe brother!

We set up a maintenance collection point at the ASP next to the MPRC. Right off 119 Smile

Good times.

Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Pretty cool!

I served in the 3rd ID in Germany at Larson Barracks from 1991-1995. Right after I got out was when the 3rd ID ceased to exist there in Germany and became the 1st ID (The Big Red One) overnight. I was glad I was gone by then. Frown

quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
That's my division! '92 to '95 with duty at Schweinfurt

Were you at Conn or Ledward Barracks?

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kuisis
posted Hide Post
Hopefully the guy who asked if "actors" like Audie Murphy ever handled a gun sees this!

Posts: 1129 | Location: Washington PA | Registered: November 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the excellent photos!

Two things bring me to tears. The unconditional Love of God,the service of the United States Military,past,present,and future.

I would rather meet
a slick-sleeve private,
than a hollywood star!

Posts: 2334 | Registered: February 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Pretty cool!

I served in the 3rd ID in Germany at Larson Barracks from 1991-1995. Right after I got out was when the 3rd ID ceased to exist there in Germany and became the 1st ID (The Big Red One) overnight. I was glad I was gone by then. Frown

quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
That's my division! '92 to '95 with duty at Schweinfurt

Were you at Conn or Ledward Barracks?

I was at Conn.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12748 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Patriot_1776
posted Hide Post
This is pretty awesome. I need to make the trek down there at some point.

HHC, 3ID from '89-'91
Wurzburg @ Leighton Barracks

I too remember watching the Audie Murphy at the Replacement Unit.

...and I certainly wouldn't give a bean to be a fancy pants Marine!

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1616 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: March 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow! I just love watching these vintage pictures.

Posts: 7 | Registered: March 13, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
That is a great Museum. You know, all the tanks from the Patton Museum in Kentucky were taken to Ft. Benning. I often wonder when they will put them back on display.

Looks like the Ft. Stewart museum has expanded since I've been there last. Did you have to go through a check point before getting there?

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post