SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    For the backpackers out there - A quick 3 days on the Appalachian Trail
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

For the backpackers out there - A quick 3 days on the Appalachian Trail Login/Join 
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted
My middle brother and I did a backpacking trip out in SD this summer, and we had a good time, so we decided to do another trip. He and my youngest brother (who lives in VA) put it together, and I was thankfully able to re-arrange some work scheduling stuff so I could join them.

We did the Virginia triple crown loop...35 miles with over 7,000 feet of elevation gain in 2.5 days. We started at dragon's tooth, then hiked the AT northbound to just south of Mcafee Knob and camped at John Spring. The second day we continued north, stopped at Mcaffe Knob, then continued on to Tinker Cliffs. Our youngest brother was pretty torn up by this point, so he ended up bailing and getting a ride back to his car, but my other brother and I continued on across the valley and camped on the North Mountain Trail. Day 3 we hiked back along North Mountain Trail to the parking lot.

The weather was perfect...60s during the day, 40s at night. Our gear held up well, we didn't run out of water, and I felt like I brought everything I needed and nothing I didn't. This was my 5th multi-day trip, and it seems like I learn a little more each time about how to pack and prep. It was our youngest brother's first time out, so hopefully he learned a few things and is up for trying it again next time we go.

This was my second time on the AT. I really prefer hiking out west because it's more "wildernessy" but this was close enough to home that we could do it in the time that we had available. It didn't feel quite right being able to hear traffic from down in the valley in the campsite...or the assholes 100 yards away in the woods blaring music and carrying on until 2am the first night...but apart from them most of the folks we met on the AT were cool. The second night and last day on the North Mountain Trail were more secluded and more in-line with what I enjoy.

If we've got any other backpackers out there, please feel free to share some pics, stories, trail tips, or gear recommendations in here!

Dragon's Tooth:

McAfee Knob:

The valley from the top of Tinker cliffs, facing south. McAfee Knob is on the tall hill on the left. We hiked that ridge from the south end, then dropped down from Tinker, crossed the valley, and hiked back along the tall ridge on the right.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 92fstech,

Posts: 8417 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice pictures for sure. I did just a couple days on AT last fall in Madison County near Hot Springs, NC. This is a shot from on top of Max Patch Bald I took. It has a 360 degree view into Tennessee and surroundings.

Posts: 887 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: December 14, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Had to search to confirm what "AT" stood for.... Appalachian Trail. Wink

Not all of us who might view and enjoy your journey here will know what that acronym stands for. Smile

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...935/m/9360033564/p/1 applies.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Tleo205, that is an awesome shot! Looks like you got it right at the right time. We were a couple of weeks early for fall color.

Bald1, sorry, didn't mean to be confusing. AT is a pretty universally recognized acronym among hikers...kind of like "NFL" or "NBA" to the sports world. It just didn't occurr to me to spell it out.

Posts: 8417 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
McAfee is a great hike. Did it bout six years ago in august. Great views

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
Bald1, sorry, didn't mean to be confusing. AT is a pretty universally recognized acronym among hikers...kind of like "NFL" or "NBA" to the sports world. It just didn't occurr to me to spell it out.

Heck, no biggie. Your great pictures more than made up for that! LOL

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of taco68
posted Hide Post
Just got back from Gatlinburg, TN last week. Was there for a wedding and did not get out to hike or sight see much. But, the views from our cabin our very similar to your pics 3 and 4 posted. Beautiful place, we are going back to sightsee next spring.

Sigs P-220, P-226 9mm, & P-230SL (CCW)

Posts: 2539 | Location: Icebox of the Nation | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
I did a lot of hiking on the AT in Georgia growing up but haven't in quite awhile. I've got 2 little boys (6 and 3) so serious hikes are out for now. We did take a family camping trip last week and do some day hikes so I figured I'd share some views. Leaves haven't really started changing yet down here yet. These are from the various trails in Fort Mountain State Park.

West overlook on the Tower Trail

Lovely cascades for a couple hundred yards on the short Big Rock Trail

The Cool Springs Overlook looks NE. You can see Grassy Knob 3600' on the left and Bald Mountain out in the middle at a shade over 4000'

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10472 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Beautiful pics. Thanks for sharing them.

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very Cool!

Two things bring me to tears. The unconditional Love of God,the service of the United States Military,past,present,and future.

I would rather meet
a slick-sleeve private,
than a hollywood star!

Posts: 2334 | Registered: February 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
If you come back to Virginia, the Old Rag Mountain Loop is a good day hike. The rock scramble is fun and actually pretty challenging. I did it a couple times in the 90s and early 2000s.

https://www.alltrails.com/expl...-mountain-loop-trail

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Yellow Jacket, that looks like a good time was had by all, and you guys certainly found a nice spot to eat lunch! We also have young kids (4 of them, age range 5-12), so we're in the same boat for big trips as a family. We do a lot of day hikes, and we love getting out in the woods. I've always been amazed how far you can get kids to go if you keep them engaged and interested in the stuff around them. We've also done our share of miles with kids on our backs, too...I've got pics somewhere of my wife hiking the narrows in Zion National Park with our youngest strapped to her back when he was 2 months old.

My wife and I have gotten to do a couple of overnight trips in the past few years when we could arrange to leave the kids with grandparents, and that has been fun. Just this year my oldest did an overnighter in the Bighorns with me and my FIL. He actually did really well, and I think there will be plenty more to come.

Mocropterus, thanks for the recommendation. My brother lives out that way, so there's a good chance we'll be back. Hopefully we can convince him to go back out on the trail after almost killing him this time Big Grin.