SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    Some Bird Hunting
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Some Bird Hunting Login/Join 
Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted
This is Bella’s first season and is coming along well. She’s 15 months now. I got her at 10 from a guy that thought he’d hunt her but never got started. Last hunt at the preserve shot 7 quail to her and missed two chukars that flew too low. Also missed a few quail. Woodcock is in and hope to take her out this coming week. She pointed one behind the shop before season.

Posts: 1771 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: March 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bird hunting with a four legged companion is the only sort of hunting I ever enjoyed. Sadly I am without a dog currently and the wife and I have such a crazy work schedule getting another right now would be unfair to the dog. I do miss bird especially pheasant hunting.

Posts: 3268 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Awesome! I love bird hunting behind a good dog. Makes the hunt that much more special.

Nick
nick_mur

Posts: 98 | Location: Peoria IL | Registered: December 17, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Good dog!

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
Some pictures from a couple other hunts.

Nearly 12 miles on her in an afternoon.

New pointer pup showing some style. Fun to see them starting to get excited.

Posts: 1771 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: March 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Shouldn't "pointers" have longer tails? Wink

flashguy

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Yes! But I think that bottom one has the correct amount of tail, just at a weird angle.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10472 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
There is something special(hard to describe) about bird hunting with a good dog that knows what they are supposed to do prior to the gun shot as well as after the shot. Happy hunting. ..................................... drill sgt.

Posts: 1952 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
That is correct YellowJacket. Here’s a different picture of him.

This is Gus. He is a Pointer. They used to be called English pointers but got shortened to just pointer.

Bella is the other dog. She’s a German Shorthaired Pointer. Their tails are docked.

Picture of JSW
posted Hide Post
Good looking pups! Your photos make we want to take up bird hunting again.

Posts: 520 | Registered: June 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
Gus is growing up and coming along well.

Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Classy dog, right there.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10472 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I have never hunted over a pointing dog.

Only retrievers.

Looks like fun.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Good pup.

Never hunted with a dog before, but am due for a dove hunting trip next weekend. Looking forward to it, haven't gone in a few years.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15150 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
Watching dogs work has always been a personal joy of mine.

I hope you have many seasons and memories together.

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11143 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Triggers don't
pull themselves
Picture of mdblanton
posted Hide Post
Nice pics. One of my son's sent his German Short Haired Pointer away for training and he still has a few weeks to go. Watching dogs work is a real pleasure.

Posts: 1093 | Location: Petal, MS | Registered: January 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10-8
Picture of Apphunter
posted Hide Post
what part of NC are you located? I am always looking for a fellow bird hunter.

Posts: 914 | Registered: November 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
Denver area

Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
I have never hunted over a pointing dog.

Only retrievers.

Looks like fun.

Way more than fun. They make hunting a treat!

My current hound is getting old and loosing her hearing. So, I don't hunt her anymore. I'm having trouble convincing the wife to get another pup now.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10895 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I love the photos of the dogs working, but did any of those hunts actually get any birds?

flashguy