SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    Cottonmouth! Two of them.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cottonmouth! Two of them. Login/Join 
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted
I got a wild hair to go for walk this evening out at our local city park. This park has a reservoir and the north end is a thick swamp. Where else would one want to go in the evening?

When you see signs like this, it's a good thing.

And they are there for a reason.

Big mama number one. This one was about as big around as my wrist. And I have a big wrist.

And young lady number two. This one was a little smaller, but still pretty big. She's emerging from a muskrat dam.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Yeah, no thanks! I had a water moccasin here on the edge of the Everglades swim across a canal and up an embankment towards my friend and I, they can be quite aggressive at times.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
Where I grew up there was about a x2 acre pond we fished. We'd always see moccasins down there.

Some were big as my forearm. I saw one trying to eat a brim almost the size of my hand. Brim was flipping around and the snake was just holding on. Only time I had ever seen that.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8837 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great shots! Thanks

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd be purchasing some snake gaiters, toot sweet

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wreckdiverjosh
posted Hide Post
I've been to that park. Great photos.

Change of Plans...

Posts: 268 | Location: Virginia | Registered: March 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Nice photos.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
cottonmouths used to steal fish off my stringers fishing from the bank when I was a kid. i used to pop them with 38 revolver shotshells. i also unknowingly stepped on one while deer hunting. they used to chase me from a canoe while bass fishing. one came at me in a swamp while walking down a trail hunting deer in a swamp. these days i wouldn't be caught dead near a cottonmouth. those mfs are mean and aggressive, and I shoot on sight. but they are beautiful creatures for sure.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8634 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
Beautiful photographs. Ive always loved snakes, even if the venomous ones can stay tf away from me or die. They’re gorgeous creatures.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
You know, the snake lovers all say that they are not aggressive. I think that is B/S. I've had several come after me when I was way too far away to threaten them. One, when we were sitting on a 12 foot bank on a lake and he turned around and began to swim towards us. Lots of lead discouraged him.

Hate Cottonmouths!

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20302 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
+1 rduckwor. They are very territorial and will not slither away sometimes and will stay hidden until you get close enough and strike. I've also had them leave the bank and swim towards my boat when I was fishing and try to get in. A .22 does a great job of discouraging that.

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1856 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
They can be aggressive. The warmer they are, the more aggressive they are. They definitely will defend themselves. If agitated, they may hold their ground and strike aggressively. One thing they are is very inquisitive. They will swim towards your if you are in a boat of kayak.
I'm not sure they are being as aggressive as they are being curious.

I will say temperature plays a role. I've been able to capture and pick up small cottonmouths on cool October mornings. I would never do that on a day in the 80s. I cam across a copperhead today on my afternoon walk which was sunning on some warm gravel. That lil' bastard never stopped striking at me. Going to post some pics of that next.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
I didn't know copperheads could be aggresive.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8634 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Triggers don't
pull themselves
Picture of mdblanton
posted Hide Post
Terrific pics!

I don’t like to get too close to the poisonous ones but do think they are beautiful creatures - the Gaboon viper being at the top of my list in that regard.

Michael

Posts: 1093 | Location: Petal, MS | Registered: January 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very nice. One of my favorite North American snakes. The ones in southern IL are at the northern limit of their range and their tempers vary by individual it seems. I have a binder full of old slides of their chin patterns and have identified several individuals this way, some I've seen several times over a 8-10 year period.

Posts: 153 | Registered: December 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank goodness not to many snakes up here in the snow LOL

Posts: 119 | Location: Ashland Ohio | Registered: December 30, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post