SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    The Great Refractor Telescope
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Great Refractor Telescope Login/Join 
Duck Doctor
Picture of reconair
posted
This is an image of the Great 40-inch Refractor telescope located in the Yerkes Observatory, Williams Bay, Wisconsin. I took this photo while standing on the elevator floor during my visit there last week. The Yerkes Observatory will close its doors on 1 October 2018. The future is uncertain for the observatory, its archives and its telescopes. The Great Refractor went into service in 1897 and remains to this day, the largest refracting telescope in the world.

US Army, Retired
NRA Golden Eagle Life Member

‘‘Are we at last brought to such humiliating and debasing degradation, that we cannot be trusted with arms for our defense? ... If our defense be the real object of having those arms, in whose hands can they be trusted with more propriety, or equal safety to us, as in our own hands?’’

— Patrick Henry

Posts: 576 | Location: Near Lake Anna, Virginia | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
Why is it closing?

Posts: 3572 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Duck Doctor
Picture of reconair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ffips:
Why is it closing?

The University of Chicago having had ownership of the observatory since inception, claims that the telescope no longer meets their level of astronomy/astrophysics research and that the level of light pollution pretty much makes the telescope obsolete. They claim that their Astronomy and Astrophysics Department could better use the funds for advanced research at international observatories with larger, more capable instruments. According to the staff of the observatory, it costs the UChicago ~500K per year to maintain the observatory and preserve the instruments located there. The UChicago is looking for a person or group to take over the observatory to preserve its unique history and outreach programs. Not only that, but the observatory sits on 78 acres of prime lakeside real estate that developers would love to put condos on.

US Army, Retired

‘‘Are we at last brought to such humiliating and debasing degradation, that we cannot be trusted with arms for our defense? ... If our defense be the real object of having those arms, in whose hands can they be trusted with more propriety, or equal safety to us, as in our own hands?’’

— Patrick Henry

Posts: 576 | Location: Near Lake Anna, Virginia | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
seems like someone , some where could get some good use out of it.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Newf
posted Hide Post
Hopefully a plan will develop that saves such a wonderful piece of history.

Posts: 920 | Location: Canada | Registered: June 05, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reconair:
quote:
Why is it closing?

..snip...
According to the staff of the observatory, it costs the UChicago ~500K per year to maintain the observatory and preserve the instruments located there. The UChicago is looking for a person or group to take over the observatory to preserve its unique history and outreach programs. Not only that, but the observatory sits on 78 acres of prime lakeside real estate that developers would love to put condos on.

Well given that I recently found out my 401k isn't fully funded yet ( Fidelity says...) and my toral lot size is just over 5 acres in GA, I won't be of much help keeping it out of the salvage/garbage yard. Frown

Posts: 3572 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Duck Doctor
Picture of reconair
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by reconair:
quote:
Why is it closing?

..snip...
According to the staff of the observatory, it costs the UChicago ~500K per year to maintain the observatory and preserve the instruments located there. The UChicago is looking for a person or group to take over the observatory to preserve its unique history and outreach programs. Not only that, but the observatory sits on 78 acres of prime lakeside real estate that developers would love to put condos on.

Well given that I recently found out my 401k isn't fully funded yet ( Fidelity says...) and my toral lot size is just over 5 acres in GA, I won't be of much help keeping it out of the salvage/garbage yard. Frown

Every dollar helps - Man up!

US Army, Retired

— Patrick Henry

Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

nhtagmember might want it for his back yard. Smile

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Big Grin
price of a used telescope : $2000.00

building to put it in : $145,000.00
shipping: $4,700.00

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TAP
posted Hide Post
Lived at Lake Geneva when I was a kid, that is disappointing to read.

Posts: 831 | Location: Portland, OR. | Registered: October 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
It is historic, but it is close to useless for actual research. Not many scientific instruments would last a fraction of that long.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post