SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    Video - Saturday's Dive
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Video - Saturday's Dive Login/Join 
posted
Short compilation from Saturday's dive. All week the weather was calm and seas flat. Saturday, poring rain and seas are 2'-4' with some 5 and 6'ers thrown in to make it nautical. Worse, the current was running north and the seas were coming out of the north due to the numerous squalls. Rain, lightning, zero visibility top side, but below, great visibility. FYI, at 2:19, you cant really see it, but it is a school of barracuda, something that has been missing on the reefs for years due to commercial spear-fisherman pressure. Enjoy

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Great video. One of my regrets is that I never took up scuba diving in my younger years.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Should have killed that lion fish

NRA Life Member

Posts: 240 | Location: Kiawah Island, SC | Registered: July 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Nice video. I haven't done any diving except quarries since last summer. Make me want to get in some ocean dives.

What computer is that?

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16391 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by comet24:
What computer is that?

Seabear. Great little computer with lots of bells & whistles but, unfortunately, ScubaPro bought the company, took some of their proprietary ideas, incorporated them into their computers and killed the brand.

It was fully adjustable and really easy to use, full Trimix computer with like 8 different user input gases, change the deco parameters, compass, switch gases on the fly. All kinds of stuff.

Free men do not ask
permission to bear arms
Picture of George43
posted Hide Post
Where were you diving?

A gun in the hand is worth more than ten policemen on the phone.
The American Revolution was carried out by a group of gun toting religious zealots.

Posts: 3808 | Location: Spring, Texas | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Southflorida-law:
quote:
What computer is that?

Seabear. Great little computer with lots of bells & whistles but, unfortunately, ScubaPro bought the company, took some of their proprietary ideas, incorporated them into their computers and killed the brand.

Sucks when one of the major brands buys and then messes with a solid piece of gear. The display like simple and easy to read without extra crap you don't need.

I've been diving a Shearwater Pursuit for years. I think it was the second model they made. So simple and easy to use. Will never lock you out no matter what you do. Like the Seabear you can change the deco profile you want to run. Easy gas switching. If something happens to a gas/tank and you can't use it you can remove the gas from the computer during the dive and it will change it's calculations/deco profile on the fly. I still cut tables with iDeco or vPlanner as a backup but that computer has been solid.

One day I may upgrade to a newer model with a color screen but I don't get a chance to do that much diving where I need such a computer these days.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16391 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by George43:
Where were you diving?

Jay Dorman/Quallman Tugs. Area with lots of little wrecks that then dump you on to the third reef. It you go east into deeper water there is more reef and the old Pompano sewage outfall pipe.

quote:
I've been diving a Shearwater Pursuit for years.

Shearwater will be my next computer based on what my other buddies are using. They all really like it.

Triggers don't
pull themselves
Picture of mdblanton
posted Hide Post
Nice video - thanks for posting.

Michael

Posts: 1099 | Location: Petal, MS | Registered: January 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
Nice vid. Thanks. I miss diving, other things demand my attention. For years I had a 90 gallon salt set up just to remind me of how nice the world below is, without any noise, or people, to ruin it. As such Ive killed most of those fish, along side with lots of $$.

Foster's, Australian for Bud

Posts: 7494 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great video, that looks like awesome fun

Posts: 119 | Location: Ashland Ohio | Registered: December 30, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ACTEG
posted Hide Post
I recognized qualman tugs. I dive out of Hillsboro inlet fairly often. Last time I dove it there was a sting ray there that kept following me around like I was invading it's space.

Did you pole spear that lionfish? I dove Jupiter a month ago and fed 3 lionfish to a moray eel. First time I've ever gotten anything to eat one in South Florida. Off of Canaveral, fish will eat lionfish right off my stringer.

Im curious about the barracuda. I didn't realize there was a commerical market for them as most people won't eat them. I know Islanders eat them, but most spearfisherman and fisherman I know won't touch them. I shot one once and brought it aboard the charter and the captain kept complaining about the smell. The bigger ones do stink.. I usually only eat the ones smaller than 3'. Really really tasty.

Thanks for posting. I've been out of the water for nearly a month due to a bad avulsion on my leg that went to the bone. It's taken awhile to heal. Hope to be back in the water at the start of lobster season. Unfortunately I had two stay topside and fish during red snapper season, while my spearo buddies cleaned up on some monster red snapper.

I am leaning towards a shearwater as my next AI computer. My Suunto vyper air has been flawless for years but their algorithm is too conservative.

Posts: 3585 | Registered: March 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lt CHEG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ACTEG:
I am leaning towards a shearwater as my next AI computer. My Suunto vyper air has been flawless for years but their algorithm is too conservative.

I just bought a Shearwater Perdix AI last month and I love it! Highly recommended!

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Posts: 5576 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: February 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ACTEG: Im curious about the barracuda. I didn't realize there was a commercial market for them.

My understanding from talking with a commercial spearo, back in the late 90's early 2000 the fish houses were buying cuda and marketing it as something else. So the commercial guys were spearing the crap out of them, up to a 1000 pounds per trip. Fished them out quick. Cuda are not skittish. My guess, they ended up in smoked fish dip.

Wrecks in the 80's were loaded with cuda and you couldn't do a reef dive without seeing a few big ones following you. Then in a short time, pufff, all gone.

posted Hide Post
well , that was nice, thanks for taking the time to share

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54600 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
Seiko, the ONLY watch I trust underwater.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39744 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lt CHEG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:
Seiko, the ONLY watch I trust underwater.

I’ve never had a hint of an issue with my Rolex Submariner or Omega Seamaster Professional underwater. I’ve never been past recreational limits of 130 feet but have dove with those watches a number of times in the 100’ plus realm with no concerns. Admittedly my mechanical watches are strictly for decoration when diving as I use a computer for important things but I’m quite glad to be able to dive with any of my quality dive watches.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Posts: 5576 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: February 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lt CHEG:...
I’ve never had a hint of an issue with my Rolex Submariner ...

I bought my Submariner in 1983, it was my primary timer for almost 20 years, but I was not keeping up on its value. Then, for new Homeowners insurance I needed to get the watch appraised. SHOCKED! That really really good $900 watch I bought in 1983 was now $7,000.00! Bought my $180.00 Orange Monster, but I do still free dive with the Rolex.

Cant fault the Seiko, that thing has been down below 200', great watch and I not as painful when you lose it.....which happened to my first Orange Monster, boarding a dive boat in really rough seas, strap caught on a cleat, never saw it again.

chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
I can second the Perdix AI. It is very easy to set up and use.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post