SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A long time ago
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 12
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A long time ago Login/Join 
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Nice M1A there.

I was 8.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Awesome picture, thank you for sharing.

-Kyle

Posts: 48 | Registered: September 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG's 'n Surefires
Picture of M-11
posted Hide Post
1984...wish I still had my nikon FE w/ motor drive, SIGMA 80-200 lens and SunPak potatomasher flash. >sigh<

"Common sense is wisdom with its sleeves rolled up." -Kyle Farnsworth
"Freedom of Speech does not guarantee freedom from consequences." -Mike Rowe
"Democracies aren't overthrown, they're given away." -George Lucas

Posts: 6880 | Location: IL, due south of the Arch | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
M-11,
I use my FE2, MD-12 and SB-15 daily.
Film is NOT dead, still used everyday Smile

Great prices at www.KEH.com for quality used cameras.

Harold B
----------------------
"God made men, but Sam Colt made them equal."

Posts: 1009 | Location: Pacific NW - USA | Registered: November 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I wanna go home
Picture of jeeperxd
posted Hide Post
Para,thanks for posting that pic,i have #02638x.It is a shame the younger members did not have the chance to get these and enjoy them but it also sucks getting old.

Posts: 1199 | Location: Pa | Registered: December 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sohjah
posted Hide Post
very cool pic Cool

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
He and I worked for the same TV station. He was a reporter, I was a videographer, and I had a blast working with this guy.

So that was back when Beta SP and 3/4" tape was fresh?? Wink

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sohjah,

sohjah

"If the fool would persist in his folly, he would become wise." -- William Blake

Posts: 243 | Location: Sin City, USA | Registered: April 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Robanna
posted Hide Post
I saw this thread when it was first posted and felt a lot of nostalgia.

There's something about that time period--the early 80s--that always brings me back to some of the best times in my life. I was 11 in '84.

The pic has sort of a Stand By Me quality to it. It's almost like I can imagine I'm there experiencing it.

Now, that is coming from a 35-yr-old who just realized yesterday I might be entering an early form of mid-life crisis. All of this balls-to-the-wall stress and responsibility is wearing on me and I've been thinking back fondly more often to "the good ol' days" when time didn't matter much, which incidentally lasted until I was about 30. ROFL!

Thanks for the memories Para. It's a stirring pic.

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1878 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: November 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I graduated from college with a BA in political science. That fall, I was working the towers, cell block or yard in a state prison.

Posts: 636 | Registered: April 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Good Shepherd
Twice Removed
Picture of Crescendo
posted Hide Post
Well, I am not sure why I missed this thread before - but I'm here now, and I'll kick in.

In 1981, I spent most of the year in Monterey, CA at the Naval Post Graduate School.

[ Hey Lunde - did you find any of my carvings on the pilings at Monterey bay harbour?]

In 1991 I was back attending the Monterey Photographic Institute "Masters-in-Residence Class" which offered some of the most memorable times of my life. Studied 3 days with Luciene Clergue at a mansion on the 17-mile drive around Carmel. Sang with Clint Eastwood at the Ranch once [got drunk several times].

Thanx for the memories -

Posts: 5102 | Location: troy.ohio.USA | Registered: November 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EvilSnowMan
posted Hide Post
Wasn't even conceived yet...

Fantastic photo though.

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived."
- George S. Patton

Posts: 1465 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: May 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TomN
posted Hide Post
In 1984 I was either a junior or senior in high school depending on what month that was.

Posts: 454 | Location: Indiana | Registered: February 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was 36, and bought my first Harley in 1984.
A 1985 FXST. Already had a shit load of hand guns and rifles.
Today I still have a shit load of guns , with my Sig's being the newest addition. I now ride a 2003 FXST/D Deuce.
I still shoot 35mm film with a Minolta 9XI, and a Maxxium 9. Though, I longer use slide film. These days I'm using Kodak Ultra Color 100.

NRA Benefactor Member
Veteran, US Army, 5th Corps 1970-72
Sig P220 Elite SAO - 45ACP
Sig P224 Extreme 40 -S&W
Sig P226 SCT - 40S&W
Sig P229 SCT - 40S&W
Sig P239 CCP - 40S&W
Sig 556 SWAT w/ Trijicon MRO for CQ work, Schmidt & Bender 1.5-6x42 FlashDot 7 for past 50 yd's
Sig Sauer Certified Armorer, Pistols

Posts: 482 | Location: SW Lower Michigan | Registered: March 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SGTMOE
posted Hide Post
84 lets see.....I had just got back from doing three tours over seas in Okinawa, Japan....Then I went back in 86and 87.....Love it over there...

SGTMOE

Danger is real...Fear is a Choice....Semper Fi

Posts: 206 | Location: NC | Registered: May 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aapous
posted Hide Post
great pic there!!

i wasnt born untill october that year though...

-------------------------------------------------

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not the pinnacle of excelence.
Subjugating the enemy without fighting is the true pinnacle of excelence."
-Sun Tzu, The Art of WAR

Posts: 303 | Registered: December 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KJacques
posted Hide Post
What a prize. To find old memories in a Kodachrome slide from a long ago summer.

Posts: 578 | Registered: June 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
That's about six months after my parents got engaged. I don't think I was even a concept.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5540 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice to see so many "youngsters" on here Razz

My oldest son was already 13yo by that year.

Harold B
----------------------
"God made men, but Sam Colt made them equal."

Posts: 1009 | Location: Pacific NW - USA | Registered: November 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GrandPotter
posted Hide Post
I thought I was a young man until I read this thread...now I am depressed...well I am still young at heart.

Gee thanks Para for starting this landslide of member confessions to being younger than all my kids...Oh well at least there are a few of us "older" guys still enjoying this forum.

Oh Yea, I really like the photo Para...I am sure it brought back some very fond memories.

ALL women should Conceal Carry.

Posts: 4599 | Location: Georgia  | Registered: January 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of luteplayers
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Riesenfass:
I was born Thanksgiving day that year. Cool picture.

Thanksgiving 1984 was my birthday as well, although I was 24.

Spent 1984 in Diego Garcia and the Philippines.

Sig 226 X-Five .40 L1,
Ruger MKIII Stainless Target
Ruger 10/22
ETC(SW), USN (Ret)

45R "Steel will make you fast but paper keeps you honest."

Posts: 774 | Location: North Waterboro, Maine | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Liquid Rhino
posted Hide Post
Sweet photo! Smile
It's one of those pictures that 'tells a story' just by looking at it.

Posts: 13 | Location: three|zero|five | Registered: September 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post