SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A long time ago
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A long time ago Login/Join 
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
I like the photo.
I was fighting fires and running first aid calls, and chasing a tall blonde (female) sheriff deputy. Oh and I stopped smoking too.

Posts: 13020 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of argolfer
posted Hide Post
Very cool pic Para. Thanks for sharing.

It was my last year in IA before moving to TX. I thought I was one of the young ones on this board, but this thread makes me realize otherwise. Smile

Posts: 4345 | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Black Majik
posted Hide Post
Cool picture indeed. It'll soon be a rare picture of someone shooting .308, when it costs two cents per round? Big Grin

Hmm.. July 1984. I can't remmeber what I was doing back then, I was just about to turn 2. Smile

Richard

Posts: 5515 | Location: California | Registered: October 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
Mmmmm, Kodachrome. My all time favorite.
It reminds me of last-minute runs to the only same-day K64 processor in L.A. in order to get my projects done on time. The colors were and still are beautiful. When everyone else was switching to Fujichrome I stuck with K64.

para,
What are you using to transfer your slides to digital? Do you have a dedicated 35mm slide scanner?

(oh, and in 1984 I was in the 10th grade and in love for the first time, thinking that I'd be with my high-school sweetheart forever.)

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Maxx2257
posted Hide Post
I was two years old in '84. Para I had no idea you are from Sulphur I'm from Lake Chalres, small world.

Posts: 135 | Location: Baton Rouge, LA | Registered: August 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Maxx2257:
I was two years old in '84. Para I had no idea you are from Sulphur I'm from Lake Chalres, small world.
I'm not from Sulphur. That was just a spot we found to shoot. I grew up in Lake Charles.
quote:
Originally posted by agony:
para,
What are you using to transfer your slides to digital? Do you have a dedicated 35mm slide scanner?
Nikon Coolscan IV

Posts: 107461 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Greetings,

Nice photo of an xcellent weapon!

July 1984 . . . the month before I got out of the US NAVY after doing a six year hitch (almost 24 years old!) I AM getting OLD! Smile

We had M-14 rifles on board my submarine (ballistic missile sub -- a boomer). The M16s went to the boys on the fast attack subs. At a gun store in Virginia Beach, I seem to remember that the SA M1A National Match that Para purchased was going for about $600 at the time. I wanted one so bad, but had no place to keep it. Awesome weapon.

Anyway . . . the M14 was used by the guys up on the sail to protect us from sharks when swimming off the ship for the rare times that boomers surfaced "out on the pond" for some R&R. I think in reality that if sharks had been spotted, WE would have been shot so the forward guys could have watched the resultant feeding frenzy! Big Grin

Posts: 206 | Registered: July 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ahhh good ol 1984, back then I was... wait, I wasnt even around yet... Smile
nice rifle

________________________________________________________________________________________________

Posts: 3504 | Registered: September 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dorsalfin
posted Hide Post
solid photo

Hero's don't die....They Reload

Posts: 313 | Location: Franklin | Registered: February 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tango Sierra
posted Hide Post
Who let all these kids in here. I thought the waiver said you had to be over 40 to be a member of SIGForum.

Posts: 4123 | Location: Rural North Central Illinois | Registered: November 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diversified Hobbyist
Picture of Steve 22X
posted Hide Post
Very nice, both the picture and the rifle.

-----------------------------------
Regards, Steve
The anticipation is often greater than the actual reward

Posts: 2463 | Location: Wylie, Texas | Registered: November 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Excitable Boy
Picture of Dan the man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tango Sierra:
Who let all these kids in here. I thought the waiver said you had to be over 40 to be a member of SIGForum.

You said what I was thinking Tango. Wink

I like the picture also Para. It captures a sense of the time it was taken. Makes me nostalgic about the 80's. Reagan at the helm, Carson on every night, big hair.....
SIGHHHHHH........ Smile

China is Asshoe

Posts: 2270 | Location: Michigan | Registered: March 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dan the man:
quote:
Originally posted by Tango Sierra:

You said what I was thinking Tango. Wink

I like the picture also Para. It captures a sense of the time it was taken. Makes me nostalgic about the 80's. Reagan at the helm, Carson on every night, big hair.....
SIGHHHHHH........ Smile

They probably didn't even have the internet when you were my age Dan Big Grin

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Excitable Boy
Picture of Dan the man
posted Hide Post
Dang Whippersnappers! Mad

China is Asshoe

Posts: 2270 | Location: Michigan | Registered: March 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of LegacyVetsMC Bob
posted Hide Post
Nice pic para. "Kodachrome, they give us those nice bright colors" - Paul Simon
In 1984 I had just gotten married and moved from Key Largo, Florida to Texas.

Posts: 6154 | Registered: March 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tango Sierra
posted Hide Post
I may be old but I’ve been hanging out on the Internet since 1983 which is the year before Para took that photo. No World Wide Web back then. I wasn’t with the Military or a University, just a hobbyist.

I have a lot of Kodachrome transparencies taken by my father between 1950 and 1975. They look like new while his Ektachrome slides from the ‘70’s are fading.

I started using Kodachrome in 1967 and shot with the stuff until 1997. I thought I still might have some in the freezer but I just checked and it is all gone. I still have a lot of other films in the freezer that expired between 1991 and 97.

From Wikipedia.
At 4000 samples per inch a Kodachrome scan produces roughly 21 megapixels from a 35mm frame. Going even further, professional scanners capable of 8000 or 12,000 spi turn a Kodachrome's native resolution into a sharp 85 to 192 megapixel file. Because the uneven grain structure of film has to be 'translated' into square pixels, the pixels from a film scan cannot be directly compared with the pixels from a digital camera. A scan needs more pixels to show the same amount of detail, because several pixels are needed to record one dye particle. Consequently, a DSLR image can be sharper and more detailed than a scan, even if it contains fewer pixels.

Posts: 4123 | Location: Rural North Central Illinois | Registered: November 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lengkeek
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
I came across an old Kodachrome slide of a friend of mine shooting my then brand new SA, Inc M1A. This rifle was a special from Springfield, with a NM barrel, NM front sight, and the action was bedded into a GI stock. The rifle also came with an SA, Inc scope mount that I never got around to using. Purchased for 400 bucks and change, which was a lot of money to me back then.

The time came when I had to sell something to get a new car, and the rifle went. I've since replaced it, but if anyone comes across serial number 025029, it used to be mine.

Shooting alongside of train tracks outside of Sulphur, Louisiana. The box of slides is marked July 1984.
Kodachrome 64, Nikon FE, AI Nikkor 50mm 1.8, 1/500th second @ f3.5. Those were the days.

Excellent pic!
Nostalgic feelings are coming up with your mentioning of the Kodachrome 64. I shot in those day's also boxes full of them.
It was my favorite slide-film either. Best there was! Thanks for sharing.

Posts: 7670 | Location: Netherlands (Rotterdam) | Registered: November 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Knezz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ubelongoutside:
They probably didn't even have the internet when you were my age Dan Big Grin

Al Gore was just getting around to inventing the internet then..

I guess I’m with the older crowd. I was in Camp Lejeune then.

No one mentioned the casing suspended in mid air.... Now that's cool

Regards,
K. Nezz

=======================
"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion." *Gen. W. Thornson*

Posts: 3053 | Location: East Coast | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tango Sierra
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Knezz:
No one mentioned the casing suspended in mid air.... Now that's cool

I thought that was a cigarette butt that Para flicked at his friend.

Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Goodness! In 1984 I'd already been retired from USAF for 4 years! And working on my second career (with Texas Instruments).

para, I may have to invest in a CoolScan scanner--I'm really not happy with what the VuPoint produces. (Of course, at $100 I did not really expect great results, but I thought it was worth a try....) I'd still like to come up with a solution that does not require me to remove the slides from the trays, though.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post