SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A long time ago
Page 1 2 3 4 5 ... 12
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A long time ago Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
great photo and rifle.

I started high school that year, in Louisiana no less.

10mm lays waste to entire cities, cuts through diamonds and will tear Superman a new asshole. - Parabellum

Posts: 1263 | Location: Colorado's front range | Registered: May 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mmissile
posted Hide Post
Cool action shot. 1984.....28 yrs. old, Last good Van Halen album, bought my 1150es Suzuki, partying too much.....and no firearms, yet.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
'proposed 28th Amendment' to the U.S. Constitution: 'Congress shall make no law that applies to the citizens of the United States that does not apply equally to the Senators and/or Representatives. . .'

Posts: 9500 | Location: Former America/Michigan | Registered: November 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pantera1994
posted Hide Post
That's an excellent photo. Kinda makes me want to pick up a M1A.

Posts: 1306 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: August 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
I think its pretty funny this has turned into a "where were you in 1984" thread......

seriously, para, I hope you find that rifle someday. Talk about a needle in a haystack....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13939 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dirty Boat Guy
Picture of parallel
posted Hide Post
Nice!

Was that your first firearm?

In keeping with the direction this thread has taken... Class of 1984.

A penny saved is a government oversight.

Posts: 6708 | Location: New Orleans Area | Registered: January 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
is your buddy wearing earprotection y/n?
If no, how is he now?

Posts: 13 | Registered: November 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thats a pretty good picture from a slide in 84. wish the stuff I had came out that good.

Posts: 1148 | Registered: May 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
I was 1 and a half years old....

(Edit: 600 posts! Whoo hoo!!!!)

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
I was reading up on slide to digital converters and the point was made that Kodachrome slides do not do well with the ICE technology that can be used to clean up slides that have dust or scratches.
That's right. I scanned this slide with my Nikon Coolscan IV, which has ICE, and ICE does not work with Kodachrome. This is due to the thickness of Kodachrome emulsion.
I have a lot of old Kodachrome slides but I haven't scanned many of them because dust and scratch cleanup must all be done manually.

In the case of this slide, I swabbed both sides with a lintless q-tip dipped in Edwal Film Cleaner and hit it with a shot of compressed air before scanning.
I then manually removed all dust spots with Photoshop, then adjusted the gamma, color balance and saturation.

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
I have used Crossfield and HELL scanners.
I wet mounted transparencies(what y'all call slides) We have a Crossfield and IGC drum scanners at work still for transparencies.
My twin brother has a Howtec drum scanner.
Nothing beats a drum scanner and wet mount for a quality reproduction still.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39716 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So how loud was it when shooting? Or does the hair act as earmuffs? Big Grin

Posts: 993 | Location: Northwest NJ | Registered: May 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kkpudge7
posted Hide Post
I wasn't the slightest twinkle in my fathers eye in 1984 Big Grin

Nice picture Para, thanks for sharing.

-------------------
"I'd rather have an M16 with a giggle switch"

P-220 Carry Elite TT

Posts: 464 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: March 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
I have a lot of old Kodachrome slides but I haven't scanned many of them because dust and scratch cleanup must all be done manually.

In the case of this slide, I swabbed both sides with a lintless q-tip dipped in Edwal Film Cleaner and hit it with a shot of compressed air before scanning.
I then manually removed all dust spots with Photoshop, then adjusted the gamma, color balance and saturation.

I use scanner mineral oil and make a pool of it on the bed of the scanner. It will fill in the scratches and produce vibrant colors without newton's rings.

I also use it on my drum scanner and sandwich the slides inbetween a sheet of mylar to get the scanner oil on both sides of the slide.

My drum scanner uses 9600 degree krypton bulbs to achieve highlights and shadows a flatbed can never achieve. A flourescent lamp is just too dim.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34081 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Swordknives
posted Hide Post
I was born in 1985. wow i feel like the young cub. perhaps this just goes to to show the welth of knowelege here.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Posts: 1401 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: July 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AKSuperDually:
quote:
Originally posted by guardianangel762:
1984...I spent most of 84 at John Hay elementry in Mrs. Clarks kindergarden class.

I was in Kindergarden at Butte View Elementary, Emmett, ID.....same time.

Me, too. Well, in Mrs. Sanderson's class at Newport Elementary. Wink

Oat

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1984. The year I graduated college.

Beautiful rifle. Must have been a lot of fun to shoot. Great photograph, too.

People gush about Leica glass but the classic Nikon lens have their own quality, which may even be nicer.

And what a glorious film kodachrome was.

A friend of mine has made cibachromes from kodachrome slides his late father shot as a young man with a Contax rangefinder in the 30s and 40s. They come out great, as vibrant and rich as you can imagine.

That's the other thing with kodachrome. The archival quality is amazing.

Try that with your digital media.

Thanks for sharing that image...

=====================
 "The knights ride east, the knights ride west,
   For ladyes' tokens blithe of cheer,
   Each bound upon some gallant quest;
   While I rust here."

Posts: 1938 | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I turned 9 in July of 1984.

Posts: 5283 | Location: GA | Registered: July 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by funpatrol:
is your buddy wearing earprotection y/n?
After nearly 24 years, some things get a little hazy, but I recall that we stuffed cotton balls in our ears. The biq, bulky, squarish Silencio hearing protectors I had back then would have interfered with a proper cheek weld. Eye protection? None. Ain't nothin' bad gonna happen to you at that age. Smile Wink

quote:
If no, how is he now?
I don't know. I moved to Houston about a year and a half after this picture was taken and I lost touch with a lot of people. Robert was one of them.
He and I worked for the same TV station. He was a reporter, I was a videographer, and I had a blast working with this guy.
He had been in the Navy, and he told me that when they practiced drills aboard ship, there were men who went to battlestations with M14s in hand. Cool

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished
posted Hide Post
Nice photo. I would have been shooting a friend's new HK91 at the Calverton range on Long Island, NY a few months earlier. Haven't thought about those times in quite a while.

Posts: 4075 | Location: NC | Registered: December 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sea Bass
posted Hide Post
Summer of '84 I was 12. Van Halen "1984" and "Jump" were on the radio. My family drove across country from MD to CO where the grandparents were and where all of us were born.
Anyway, Dad took us to the mountains where he learned to shoot and taught us the same.
We used a .22 rifle, 8mm Mauser converted to sporter and an old no name single shot 20 gage.
Those were good times. Your pic reminded me, we have similar pics like that with us sporting the rifles, we really thought we were something.
Good post.
SB

"Shohna ba Shohna - Shoulder to Shoulder"

Posts: 1640 | Location: Knox/Etown KY | Registered: June 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post