SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A long time ago
Page 1 2 3 4 ... 12
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A long time ago Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
I came across an old Kodachrome slide of a friend of mine shooting my then brand new SA, Inc M1A. This rifle was a special from Springfield, with a NM barrel, NM front sight, and the action was bedded into a GI stock. The rifle also came with an SA, Inc scope mount that I never got around to using. Purchased for 400 bucks and change, which was a lot of money to me back then.

The time came when I had to sell something to get a new car, and the rifle went. I've since replaced it, but if anyone comes across serial number 025029, it used to be mine.

Shooting alongside of train tracks outside of Sulphur, Louisiana. The box of slides is marked July 1984.
Kodachrome 64, Nikon FE, AI Nikkor 50mm 1.8, 1/500th second @ f3.5. Those were the days.

Posts: 107222 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be prepared for loud noise and recoil
Picture of sigalert
posted Hide Post
Shooting along the tracks.

That's a pretty cool idea. Although I'm sure you wouldn't get away with it these days.

Regardless, a cool photo.

Kodachrome....awesome! Something tells me that all of our digital formats will be long forgotten 25 years from now.

Another reason to keep a film camera around for the really important stuff.

“Crisis is the rallying cry of the tyrant.” – James Madison

"Keep your fears to yourself, but share your courage with others." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Posts: 3619 | Location: Middle Tennessee  | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Missing His Jeep
Picture of JeepDriver
posted Hide Post
quote:
Purchased for 400 bucks and change, which was a lot of money to me back then

I like the stock, has the f/a cut out.

July of '84, if we only knew what we know now!

Guess you don't rmemeber what ammo cost were like then do you?

Posts: 7612 | Location: White Marsh, Maryland. USA | Registered: May 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Excellent photo!

I spent nearly all of 1984 at DLI-FLC (Defense Langiage Institute, Foreign Language Center) in Monterey, California studying Russian in the intensive forty-seven week course.

Posts: 7937 | Registered: March 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
...and now here's Al
with the Weather.
Picture of guardianangel762
posted Hide Post
1984...I spent most of 84 at John Hay elementry in Mrs. Clarks kindergarden class.

Posts: 9018 | Location: Lake Stevens, WA | Registered: March 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGForum Official Hand Model
Picture of ThankGod4Sig
posted Hide Post
I was seven. But I played cops and robbers alot.

"da evil Count Glockula."-Para

Posts: 7903 | Location: C-bus, Ohio | Registered: December 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Junior High was hellacious for me in 1984.

Posts: 387 | Location: Southern Wisconsin | Registered: December 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
That's a great photo, Para. It's got some sort of "80's class" to it.

Posts: 6311 | Location: Orlando, Florida, U.S. | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For me '84 started in Rota,Spain and ended at Camp Pendleton, CA. Came very close to buying an M1A.... wish I had bought a couple of em. Wink

Semper Fi Gents,
-Joe

Posts: 1429 | Location: Somewhere in Hudspeth Co. | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non Nobis Solum
posted Hide Post
In 1984 I turned 1.

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 3613 | Location: Charlottesville, VA | Registered: May 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was 5 months old Smile

Posts: 540 | Location: Huntingtown, Maryland | Registered: January 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi
Picture of law_dawg07
posted Hide Post
[Paul Simon]Kodachroooooo-oooo-ooome...they give us those nice bright colors, they give us the greens of summers. Makes you think all the world's a sunny day, Oh yeah. I got a Nikon camera. I love to take a photograph. So mama don't take my Kodachrome away.[/Paul Simon]

Thanks for sharing, Para. Cool

Goin' to the water park...the water park...

Posts: 10100 | Registered: March 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
do those appreciate? what would you guess it would be worth today ?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54476 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hey Man,
Nice Shot
Picture of Herbg22
posted Hide Post
I wasn't walking yet in 1984. Very cool picture Para.

"Nonsense, I have not yet begun to defile myself."

Posts: 13124 | Location: Chicago | Registered: June 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was 3 months old in July 1984

I wish I was born with an M1A Big Grin

Posts: 135 | Location: Santa Cruz, Ca | Registered: April 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very cool. That was 1 month before I was born.

Damn.

Posts: 1476 | Location: Rahchacha, NY | Registered: August 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Very nice. I was reading up on slide to digital converters and the point was made that Kodachrome slides do not do well with the ICE technology that can be used to clean up slides that have dust or scratches.

I'm in the process of slowly converting dozens of Carousel trays of slides taken in the 1960s and 1970s to digital form. I did a few hundred some years ago with a flatbed scanner, but it takes a lot of work to do that. I recently bought one of the inexpensive VuPoint dedicated slide scanners, which does simplify the process somewhat, but it still takes too long and its feature to "improve" the picture really messes up night photos. I'm now looking for a better machine. I'd like one that could just use the Carousel trays directly, but so far have not found one. I did find some web postings that talked about hooking a digital camera directly to a Carousel projector, and that technique does appear on the surface to have a lot to recommend it. Not only would it be very convenient (don't have to move the slides around) but it would probably be a lot quicker (cameras take their photos very fast--the scanners take a long time per slide). Of course, cleaning off the slides would still be a problem, and it might not be obvious that it was needed by looking at the result on the small camera screen.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by guardianangel762:
1984...I spent most of 84 at John Hay elementry in Mrs. Clarks kindergarden class.

I was in Kindergarden at Butte View Elementary, Emmett, ID.....same time.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13939 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It is what it is
Picture of 40guy
posted Hide Post
Ahhhh...1984. I remember it like it was 24 years ago. Smile

I was 10 at the time. I purchased my first gun, a Marlin bolt-action .22LR that I still have, when I was 12. Good times, good times.

Posts: 11022 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: September 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Riesenfass
posted Hide Post
I was born Thanksgiving day that year. Cool picture.

-------------------------
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Posts: 1421 | Location: Southeast PA | Registered: September 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post