SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A long time ago
Page 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 12
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A long time ago Login/Join 
Picture of UpTheIrons
posted Hide Post
So are you sure that this is not you in this picture? Big Grin

“I used to be totally into Steve Vai and Joe Satriani and other shredders, and I tried to emulate what they did and really grow as a guitarist,” Mr. Hanneman said in “Louder Than Hell.” “Then I said, ‘I don’t think I’m that talented, but more important, I don’t care.’ ”

Posts: 1726 | Location: Arizona Territory | Registered: February 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
World Traveler
Picture of codemaster
posted Hide Post
July of '84? I was 1. Didn't even know what a rifle was at that age.

Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: The requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world -- "No, YOU move."

Posts: 6416 | Location: Herding aircraft in Jordan. | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1984... I wasn't even in the making yet. and I wish I had a M1A

Chuck
Sig p226R .40S&W ctc grips,

Posts: 106 | Registered: March 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
I bought an M1A-E2 for $600 in 1983, thought it was really expensive...kept it until 2001, when foolishly I sold it , even making a huge profit, I wish now I had not sold it. With the E2 stock, that baby was kinda heavy, later I bought a fiberglass stock to use, made it much lighter.

I had so much fun shooting it, and boy was it accurate. I sent it back to Springfield when I got it, the barrel was pitted! They replaced it with a NM barrel, I tried a scope, but actually shot better with the excellent open sights.

Wishing I had one now, and just like you wishing I had that one back. I know where it is, but the person would never sell it.

We all do foolish things....I used to shoot at the river, and found out there was a pasture over the hill past the riverbank where I was shooting!

I had a AR15A2, CAR15 and the M1A at the same time, I was really prepared...and reloaded ammo about every day....I looked down at the AK47's....back then, now I own AK47s.....go figure. The AK's will never have the pointability the M1A has....or the AR15/16 either.

Thanks for sharing a part of your life with us, it has sure drawn some interesting comments for the Sig Forum.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sunset_Va,

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In July '84 I was five, learning how to ID weapons thanks to the detailed packaging of my GI Joe figures.

Posts: 79 | Location: MD | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
In 1984 I was making a good living shooting Kodachrome.

Posts: 4609 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sovietak474u
posted Hide Post
christ '84 i was a year old heh. did not even know what a gun was!

If it flies, floats or phucks, RENT IT. - Nukeandpave

Posts: 7390 | Location: Crime filled clayton county , GA | Registered: February 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was 14 and lusting after a M1a.

Now I am 39 and enjoying my M1a!

Posts: 465 | Location: Pell City, AL. U.S. | Registered: December 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great picture!

Posts: 188 | Registered: May 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Batuo_fan
posted Hide Post
Great picture. WOW!! Kodachrome, does Kodak even make film anymore? I think the best move I made was turning down a a job at Kodak in Rochester NY in 98.

In 84 I was taking a year long break from college. Worked the whole year at a Thrift Drugs store as a porter, mopping floors and unloading trucks. Majored in physics at first but switched to biology/premed my junior year. Finally got the degree and went on to get another in later on. Brings back memories, starting to feel old now that my beard is turning gray.

P220 Carry Elite
P220 Elite Dark with threaded barrel
P226 Blackwater Tactical Operations
P229 Elite
SIG 522
SIG 551A1

Posts: 2212 | Location: Between Seattle and Tacoma | Registered: April 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
I lived in Lake Charles but I left there in early 1986.

My girlfriend at that time was from Lake Charles. She moved to Baton Rouge to go to LSU and went into law enforcement here.

Posts: 13014 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Parabellum,

KEWL! A real man's rifle! I trained with the M-14 back in 1968 and the only thing wrong with it is trying to make it a fully auto rifle (muzzle climb is was largely uncontrollable, and you got used to vertical groups real fast!)

KLW

Posts: 73 | Registered: August 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of swage
posted Hide Post
In 1984 I was 12 years old. What a summer that was. I remember the Olympics were held in Los Angeles. That was also the summer I kissed a girl for the first time. Wow do I feel old.

Posts: 1865 | Location: Westlake, OH USA | Registered: October 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ahhh...1984..I was 14 and spending my summers with my dad's folks down in Pineville, LA. Seeing that photo makes me think all the RR tracks down there look the same....long pine forest clearings with stone ballast and steel.
We used to shoot armadillos (aka possum on the half shell) with my grandfather's Springfield 1911 and Garand in a similar manner. Oh the days when ammo was cheap and your grandparents gave you a free pass on almost anything!

Posts: 583 | Location: Helena, AL | Registered: July 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MoreBrassPls
posted Hide Post
I was 5 in '84. That was the year. I had a new bmx bike, clubhouse, and a nickle 8 shot revolver cap-gun. It needed a trigger job but I could still hit anything I aimed for. Wink

Posts: 66 | Location: Birmingham, AL | Registered: September 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JR78
posted Hide Post
1984...Got divorced. It was a great year!

Posts: 1963 | Location: DFW | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was 14 and listening to KISS' Animalize record most of the time (Remember "Heaven's on Fire"?).

My brother, who is 15 years older than me, was an Arkansas State Trooper. I used to ride along with him on the weekends in rural Arkansas, and you can imagine the things I saw as a boy. Trying driving around 14 year old kids nowadays, boy... What an amazing time.

Posts: 1087 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"I was 14 and listening to KISS' Animalize record most of the time (Remember "Heaven's on Fire"?)." jbourneidentity

I was 16 in 1984 and listening to Animalize as well. I do remember Heaven's on Fire. Great song.

jbourneidentity, do you remember the video for All Hell's Breakin' Loose?

Posts: 18017 | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gambit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
I lived in Lake Charles but I left there in early 1986.

I lived there during that time. Off of Country Club Road for a while then on 5th St.

I was helping Gulf States Utilities start up their first coal powered plant, in Westlake. Small world.

There were lots of pretty girls in that area (still are).

Posts: 915 | Location: Acadiana | Registered: February 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of derekc23
posted Hide Post
1984, I had just graduated from HS and shipped off to Ft. Knox for 19E AIT in July.

Nice photo, Para, and that's a sweet rifle.

-----------------------------

Posts: 683 | Location: Uniontown, OH | Registered: October 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post