SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    Anvil
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anvil Login/Join 
posted
I've always had a interest in forging, knives, axes.... Recently picked up this Peter Wright anvil, decent shape for a born on date of 1910. Cool to think about the history, who... Fabricated the stand, 1 1/4 top plate, 2x4x1/4 tube, 1/2 feet. Drilled holes in the plate so the legs can be filled with play sand. Will bolt it to the floor. Tacked it together this AM with a mig, going over to friends to stick weld it. Been studying various forge designs, should have something together next month. Good friend has been forging straight razor for several years, will learn from him about heat treating...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: offgrid,

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
Nice stand. Just think of the things that anvil has produced. What does it weigh? I saw one locally on craigslist recently...640# is what the seller said it weighed.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks. 141lbs according to the markings.

Anvil weight markings

http://www.anvilfire.com/artic...me=/FAQs/anvil-6.htm

First thing I'll forge is a set of tongs.

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is cool. Even better since you'll use it.

I'd love to have an anvil. I don't have a use for one, would never use it properly but it would be so cool to have one.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13386 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
Vety nice. Be careful, don't break it.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
As a guy that likes to make sharp pointy things, I have always had the desire to massage hot steel on one of these beasts! I'm a bit jealous and intrigued! I'll be following this for sure!! Congrats!

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
sybo,

hope I can turn stuff as nice as what you've posted!

Fool for the City
Picture of MRMATT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:
That is cool. Even better since you'll use it.

I'd love to have an anvil. I don't have a use for one, would never use it properly but it would be so cool to have one.

Same here. I've absolutely no use for one, but would love to have a small anvil.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington.

Posts: 5292 | Location: Pottstown, PA | Registered: April 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I'm a bit jealous myself. My welding/burning days are pretty much over, but I loved working with steel. Lathe and mill work was also a blast.

Enjoy and best of luck. And post more pics as you go, please.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38599 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Very nice anvil. Peter Wright was one of the best. Don't neglect the hardy hole. You can use some very useful insert tools there to enhance your work flow. The Pieh Tool Company right here in AZ carries a good selection of blacksmithing stuff, including hardy stuff. Here is a page of their hardy tools, and other miscellaneous stuff that came up on a search for hardy.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
I'm very jealous. I just don't know why.

I am not BIPOLAR. I don't even like bears.

Posts: 12930 | Location: Western WI | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I have been looking for a proper forging anvil for some time, and have had no luck locating one locally. Pieces like that are going for ridiculous prices around here. Great job with the tripod stand. That should be very stable.

Congratulations on a nice find!

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12743 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Take it to the top of a cliff and drop it on someone.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:

I've seen videos of some redneck "sport" where they blow them up (launch them from the ground) using black powder. The idea is to see who can get one up the highest, I think.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
quote:

Or pack it into a parachute backpack and skydive (beep beep) Big Grin...

That really is a nice anvil...if it could only talk Smile

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
quote:

I've seen videos of some redneck "sport" where they blow them up (launch them from the ground) using black powder. The idea is to see who can get one up the highest, I think.

I think it is a combination of height and how close it lands to the start point.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

I think it is a combination of height and how close it lands to the start point.

Makes sense. There has to be some challenge, after all.

Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Makes sense. There has to be some challenge, after all.

the challenge is to not let it fall on your head.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10472 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
quote:
the challenge is to not let it fall on your head.

Posts: 4123 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post