SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A Little Monster!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Little Monster! Login/Join 
Picture of pulicords
posted
I can't believe how lucky I've been! My wife and I moved to Arizona from California last July and I've already had my second wild Gila Monster encounter. I'm sorry for the crappy cellphone pic, but I found this little guy (8-10" from nose to tail) while walking our two dogs at 8:30 PM. Judging from its small size, I'm guessing its not more than a year old.

As a side note, I found that it exhibited a very interesting behavior of following the beam of my flashlight, rather than being disturbed by it.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10194 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kuisis
posted Hide Post
I always have been fascinated by them. I'd love to see one in person.

Posts: 1129 | Location: Washington PA | Registered: November 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
there is a place up in Phoenix that will train your dogs about monsters,

what they look like and sound like and how they move,
and those they should avoid.

might save your dogs life , someday

if I could remember the place ,I'd offer it to you

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54602 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Cool..

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You'll Shoot Your Eye Out!
Picture of MaThGr82
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
there is a place up in Phoenix that will train your dogs about monsters,

what they look like and sound like and how they move,
and those they should avoid.

might save your dogs life , someday

if I could remember the place ,I'd offer it to you

Maybe start with the Phoenix Herpetological society if that is something you're interested in. Cool Gila Monster...lived here my entire life - Hike and Mountain Bike a lot...only have seen 4 in the wild.

Posts: 6302 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: October 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Maybe the little ones are called kittens, not baby ones. Next time carry along a laser pen. See if it chases that.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18387 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
None of them in Ohio LOL

Posts: 119 | Location: Ashland Ohio | Registered: December 30, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post