SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    SIG MCX Virtus far away from home
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SIG MCX Virtus far away from home Login/Join 
Picture of lt.speirs
posted
Hi guys,

It's been a while since I haven't posted around here, so I'm taking the opportunity to share the latest addition to my collection.

I just bought a SIG MCX Virtus in 300blk. I have been looking for this model for a long time now, but here in Europe they are very hard to come by since you need to import them directly from the US.

So a gunsmith I know had one in stock for some time and he made me a very special price to get rid of it, since 300blk is not very common around here and people are not very interested in them.

Had it dressed up by Brugger & Thomet directly with one of their MARS suppressors (they had to add a little extension to the barrel for the silencer to fit with the handguard), but they did an excellent job.

Now I'm waiting to go to the range on Saturday to have it zeroed and to try everything out.

The kit I made is based on what's in use in some special units in Europe. The MCX offers a real modularity difficult to find with other platforms. I have a 5.56 kit on order as well as the extended suppressor handguard.

It fits perfectly in the ArcTeryx pack

Barrel extension made by B&T with their MARS flash hider

Fully kitted

I don't know yet if I will keep the Vortex Crossfire on it or change it for an Aimpoint Micro. I have to admit I have different Aimpoints Micros mounted on different guns, and I cannot tell the difference with the Vortex except from the price. I have been very happy with their red dots so far.

Also the benefit with the MARS QD system is that I installed an other flash hider on the SCAR 17 and I can also use the suppressor on it.

Enjoy

Posts: 901 | Location: Europe | Registered: April 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
Beautifully done. Do you have any difficulty getting ammunition?

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lt.speirs
posted Hide Post
Not yet, we don't have a shortage of supply for now. It will occur once the US made ammunition will run out of stock, but we have plenty ammo manufacturers around here to supply any caliber (Fiocchi, Sellier&Bellot, RUAG/Gecco).

I will stock on some Hornady stuff but for shooting I'll stick with the S&B which seems to be good.

Posts: 901 | Location: Europe | Registered: April 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tiger 2 Tank
posted Hide Post
Very nicely done!

Posts: 968 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
That is downright gorgeous! Thank you for sharing!

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
Great job. That rifle made it's way onto my want list. Which means a suppressor will be required. I'm watching it to see where it goes and how it holds up. Excellent concept, starting to make a ton of sense to me.

You didn't shortcut anything. Beauty

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6957 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lt.speirs
posted Hide Post
The MCX has made its way into many special units around Europe, and that's a good proof of quality and reliability. In the UK the 22nd SAS is using it, as well as the counter terrorist unit in London (they adopted it after the feedback from the SAS). In France as well in the military some units took them for special operations, and it works great.

What I really like about it is its modularity. I already have a suppressor handguard and a 5.56 conversion kit on order, but with the situation in the US Sig not making conversion kits right now due to the demand for complete systems, and the time it takes to export those parts to Europe... I'm not planning on receiving that anytime soon.

Fortunately I have other SBR in 5.56 to train with, because .300blk is quite expensive when you shoot 500 rounds in one day...

I also just went dual with my NVG so I'm replacing the Vortex red dot on it with an Eotech which is easier to use with nods. I ordered a Unity riser as well for this purpose.

Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
That is gorgeous and pretty much exactly the setup I've been researching...how long is that suppressor?

Would you be willing to discuss your optics and aiming module choices?

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5540 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post