SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    Patton Museum, Ft. Knox KY (pic heavy)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Patton Museum, Ft. Knox KY (pic heavy) Login/Join 
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted
These are some pics I took at the Patton Museum in Ft. Knox, KY a few years ago. As an old tank mechanic Knox has always held a special place in my heart. As has General Patton. I LOVE his registered magnum. He called it his “killing gun”. Nothing quite like a 357 Smith Smile
And his dog Willie. Rest in peace Willie, you were a great companion.

The Father of Armor, in the Home of Armor.

And a bottle of this stuff I found at the local ABC with a glass I got at the museum. I'll sip it soon Smile

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I visited that Museum in summer of '57 when I was a boot at Ft Knox.

Most memorable was the huge German tank on display. Made me wonder then how we did win WWII in Europe.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
What is the story of the tank barrel split at the end?
Also thanks for sharing these photos.

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
Most memorable was the huge German tank on display.

The German armored vehicle with the rusty tan paint shown in the photos above is a Sturmgeschutz III.

It's a self-propelled artillery piece (or "assault gun"), not a true "tank". They were originally designed to provide mobile artillery support through indirect fire, but as the war progressed, the Germans utilized them to good effect as tank destroyers with direct fire.

Especially towards the end of the war, StuGs were actually more common than true "tanks" in the German military.

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 45 Cal:
Looks like a Sherman 45Cal and I wondered the same. That display is excellent. Love to see it all.

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire for effect
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the pictures. He was a great American patriot.

"Ride to the sound of the big guns."

Posts: 7210 | Location: South Georgia | Registered: May 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the excellent photos!

Two things bring me to tears. The unconditional Love of God,the service of the United States Military,past,present,and future.

I would rather meet
a slick-sleeve private,
than a hollywood star!

Posts: 2334 | Registered: February 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
quote:
Originally posted by 45 Cal:
Looks like a Sherman 45Cal and I wondered the same. That display is excellent. Love to see it all.

David I recognize the tank ,was hoping the story of barrel,did they shoot it with the tompkin on it and cause projectile to explode
I know navel ships have two types ,one for ports that is dress and a canvas for sea.
Ships have enough air pressure to blow them off without exposing personnel during battle stations

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the pictures. Haven't been thru the museum since the early '70's when I was at Ft. Knox going to officer's basic.

_________

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right.

Henry Ford

Posts: 724 | Location: Texas | Registered: October 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed the photos, thanks for posting. I spent some time at Ft. Knox, AIT, NCOC, and as an assistant instructor before going to Vietnam as a TC in early '69.

If I'm ever back in that area, I intend to go to that museum.

NRA Life

Posts: 1561 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Pretty cool stuff!

Upon being asked by an American reporter where he got his "pearl" handled revolvers, Patton reportedly replied:

"Son, only a pimp in a Louisiana whorehouse carries pearl handled revolvers, these are ivory!"

Big Grin

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post