SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    LDD Travelogue: Portland to Spray, GGI & Back
Page 1 2 

Moderators: LDD
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

LDD Travelogue: Portland to Spray, GGI & Back Login/Join 
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Thank you for being transparent. So sorry to hear the bad things that happened.

I'm normally cynical / depressive / downer. I got a 3 month trial period for Sirius XM Satellite radio with my new to me SUV I just bought. I found Joel Osteen. I know he pretty much has the same positive message but I'm beginning to see I need that influence in my life to counter my natural leanings.

I'm learning that when bad things happen, it doesn't have to stay that way. That I can hope for a better situation just around the corner.

From the rest of your article, you don't sound like a Debbie Downer. But I'm just commisirating and offering what little I can.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 13389 | Location: Bay Area, CA | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
I know those roads and areas well. One of my big regrets is that I did not make the time to stop in and meet the GGI crew in all the times I drove by while living in Oregon.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagon, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.GreatLandMissions.org
www.GLVS.org

Posts: 12616 | Location: On the Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Really enjoyed this LDD... THANKS!

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
COTEP #192

Posts: 7758 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcat
posted Hide Post
marionberry pie, eh?

Would you say that it was as addictive as....crack cocaine?

Posts: 9933 | Location: RI | Registered: October 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nothing can be Something
Picture of greybeard9
posted Hide Post
I thoroughly enjoyed this travelogue, especially the personal insights. Thank you, LDD.

Wishing you only the best through these difficult times.

"In the age of madness, to expect to be untouched by madness is a form of madness." - Saul Bellow

Posts: 1027 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Thanks all, for your support!

Posts: 17121 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
Great write-ups and I appreciate your telling us of the adventures.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5423 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Author,
cowboy,
friend to all
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the tour, you did a great job with your interviews and photos. Don't know why Bruce likes the modern stuff, My hammers and Mill were made in the 1920's and before.

I found it nice to see the folks I talk to on the phone. Have driven by the old house and thought that it would be a good place to live, but too close to the highway. I am amazed at how well it was designed to last.

Posts: 2216 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: June 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
LDD
Thank you for this write-up/travel journal.

I am only 60 miles exit to exit from Biggs Junction, and I would invite you to come have a cup of coffee or a meal on me next time you are close to the area.

Dave

Posts: 2734 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
Mr. LDD,

Thank you very, very much for your wonderful work.

It was so nice to see Darli's photo, after talking with her so many times on the phone and by email.

I had the pleasure of speaking with Mr. Gray, yesterday, and your words and photos have clarified the people and place I had only been able to imagine.

Thank you Smile

Frank

Dogs are gifts from God, full of love. Save a life, adopt!

…and God made dogs, and it was very good, and God said: “I’m gonna have to have all of these back.” Genesis 1, gospel according to Mr. Monkey ✡

NRA Patron Life Member (Feb. 2017) Big Grin

私のホバークラフトは鰻でいっぱいです!

Posts: 2632 | Location: too near debt-riot, mitch-e-gan | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
LDD, I've enjoyed reading your various firearms related posts and write-ups but I have to say that it was a refreshing and interesting change to read your travelogue. I hope you will continue to venture into the "unknown" occasionally with your writing.

Although I haven't taken one in years, I use to be positively mad for road trips and I always found that they both excited and calmed me and I always seemed to find some perspective along the way. Road trips can be some of the best medicine for whatever ails you.

quote:
Originally posted by LDD:
Painted Hills Overlook

The overcast weather didn’t really cooperate with me this time. I would have preferred some afternoon sun to really make the shades of red and yellow, pop, but it didn’t happen. So a hiked up to the top of the overlook and munched on Ranch-Flavored Dorritos instead. At least I got some interesting cloud formations. Just another place to go back to.
Even if the light wasn’t there, it was good recon. ‘And very peaceful just sitting at the top of the hill listening to the birds chat, not another soul in sight.

If you are open to suggestions from an amateur photographer, I was on a South West road trip several years ago and was going to stop by the Grand Canyon. A friend who had been there pointed out that the reds in the canyon were spectacular and really popped out at daybreak without bleaching out, if you could orient yourself so that the sunrise was behind you when you shot it. Some of my pics came out pretty darned well so I'd suggest trying that if you stop back to shoot it again.

quote:
Originally posted by LDD:
This is an American Dipper. They “fly” under the water eating bugs in these streams. I didn’t expect to encounter this one or I would have brought my 100-400mm lens. But sometimes life is about seeing and experiencing rather than capturing. And he was kind enough to sit still while I look this long-ish exposure photo. So thanks Dipper!

Interesting, I've seen these critters while I was fly fishing but could never seem to remember to I.D. them at a later time. Entertaining birds to watch.

quote:
Originally posted by LDD: I don’t know what’s ahead of me. I’m still trying to save my marriage, though I realize it’s not all up to me. I’d appreciate any prayers or good thoughts you guys might be willing to send my way. But I realize I’m just another human being trying to make his way in this world. I’ve taken some hits but I’m still here, still moving. I’m trying to appreciate the mystery, the uncertainty, and the opportunity that life has given me. And I’m far from alone.

If I could make a living out of it, I’d probably travel the world, eating different foods, meeting people, and writing about it. I do like helping people “feel like they were there too” and I seem to be decent at it. Thanks for joining me on this trip. I hope you’ll be here for the next one as well, where ever that takes us.

I'm with you. I think travelling and writing about it would be a fantastic way to make a living... well, except for the fact that I probably don't have the talent to be successful at it. But it sure sounds like fun! Smile

I hope you find the right answers to your questions and that things work out. Prayers and good thoughts headed your way.

Posts: 3605 | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We Are...MARSHALL
Picture of armedmd
posted Hide Post
Great job LDD. I thoroughly enjoyed it!

Build a man a fire and keep him warm for a night, set a man on fire and keep him warm the rest of his life.

Posts: 1626 | Location: WV | Registered: December 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Fantastic, thank you for sharing. I was just in that area for the first time a few weeks ago, and your words do it far more justice than I could ever hope to. A really neat look at the inside of the Grayguns operation as well. Very sorry to hear about your marriage and job situation. I pray that things will improve for you.

Posts: 2598 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
It's been many years since I was in that area. Got to go again. Maybe I can drop off a Sig or two for work. And that pie might be the bigger draw.

Posts: 4506 | Location: The Retirement Home for Old Bull Shooters | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
Great story telling, and neat pictures. Thanks for taking the time to write it up, I know how long it can take.

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 10911 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ducSTer
posted Hide Post
Ahhh that took me back to my early teen years when I was out doing day/overnight hikes every other weekend.

If you ever get back that way in warmer weather you should absolutely hike Oneonta Gorge.

http://www.oregon.com/recreation/oneonta-gorge
"The best way to see the inside of Oneonta Gorge is to put on sneakers and wade knee-deep up the creek from the highway bridge. In late summer when the water's not too deep nor too cold, it's usually possible to trek half a mile through the 20-foot-wide chasm to an otherwise hidden, 100-foot falls. This adventure is not for the faint of heart, however, because the route sometimes involves clambering over a logjam or wading a chest-deep pool."

Posts: 988 | Location: Arlington, WA | Registered: June 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Velvet Voicebox
Picture of Cliff
posted Hide Post
Thanks LDD for sharing this. The pics are great. Sent up a prayer for you.

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 6505 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ducSTer:
If you ever get back that way in warmer weather you should absolutely hike Oneonta Gorge.

Looks like you got there at a better time than me. I went in the summer--air temp was comfortable, but not as much water.

Also, I fell in at "the deep part" coming back and basically did a comical juggling act with my camera gear trying to keep it from getting wet.

I would definitely like to go back.

And thanks for the prayers, Cliff!

Posts: 17121 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get busy living
or get busy dying!
Picture of heathtx
posted Hide Post
LDD,

I don't know you, however, I am totally impressed with your post here. You have a fantastic eye behind the camera and a literary flair of storytelling. You could turn this ability into a small business, people will subscribe.

As the shock of your personal situation passes, I am impressed with your candor and attitude. I learned late in my career that attitude is so very important.

Thank you for a wonderful story, you were kind enough to take many of us along on this road trip, it was a great ride.

Heathtx

Posts: 854 | Location: Rockwall County (God's Country) TX | Registered: February 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post