SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    Airshow Photos
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Airshow Photos Login/Join 
Novice Elk Harvester
Picture of ronnied316
posted
I took these photos this past Saturday at the Flying Heritage & Combat Armor Museum at Paine Field, in Everett, WA. It was their annual Luftwaffe Day, and I wanted to give the Sony RX-10 IV a spin. I took a large number of shots, but only ended up with a few I really liked. Hope you enjoy them as well. This collection is extremely impressive.

Flickr link to the entire album

"SUCCESS only comes before WORK in the dictionary"

Posts: 412 | Location: Kitsap Peninsula, WA | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Great photos. Paul Allen sure did us old warbird fans a favor when he created that museum. It's been 3 years since we've been there and it looks like a lot of planes have been added. The F-105 Thud, the Huey and the Mosquito to name a few. We'll have to take a trip over for another visit.

Your new Sony takes very sharp pictures. It must be a joy to use.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Novice Elk Harvester
Picture of ronnied316
posted Hide Post
Thanks Jimbo!

The expansion at the facility has been pretty dramatic. I remember going there ten years ago and it was just the one hangar. They have a Stuka that is currently being restored, and they just received the Jumo engine for it last week. They'll also be unveiling their restored Me262 very soon. Lots of cool airplane stuff going on there for sure.

Posts: 412 | Location: Kitsap Peninsula, WA | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Very nice. Thanks for sharing.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16378 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
The FW 190 D-13 (Dora) is very impressive and it is fully flyable but Paul Allen said it will never fly because it is the only one in existence.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
Greta photos, and love the Dora.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I got a kick out of the fact that because these planes are flyable they leak oil and hydraulic fluid, so some of them have to have pans under them. You won't see that at any other air museum.

Jim

Novice Elk Harvester
Picture of ronnied316
posted Hide Post
The 190 A is my favorite bird there, but the damn thing hardly ever flies. Some of the guys I've talked to at the neighboring hangars believe that the FHCAM doesn't fly that aircraft enough, and that leads to mechanical issues canceling its appearances at shows.

Also, the radial engines leak like sieves, and there are pans and cloths under almost all of the birds. I highly recommend anyone near there to take a look if your're at all interested in this kind of stuff.

posted Hide Post
Thank you!

Two things bring me to tears. The unconditional Love of God,the service of the United States Military,past,present,and future.

I would rather meet
a slick-sleeve private,
than a hollywood star!

Posts: 2334 | Registered: February 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
I got a kick out of the fact that because these planes are flyable they leak oil and hydraulic fluid, so some of them have to have pans under them. You won't see that at any other air museum.

Jim

That reminds me of being on board the Stennis. All the birds leaked and had diapers under them.

Posts: 3663 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Hope to get a chance to add to this gallery if we make it Wings Over Houston in the fall.

Nice shooting.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Novice Elk Harvester
Picture of ronnied316
posted Hide Post
Found a few decent shots from the Tacoma Narrows airshow in July. These were with a Nikon Coolpix P1000 that I had rented, because I wanted to try the insane zoom.

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
Lol, you know a plane from this era is empty because it stopped leaking. Wink

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
^^^
Truth! Big Grin

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some really nice pictures. Far better than I'd do with my iphone.

There are other museums that are flying airplanes. Palm Springs has one, and just about everything at the Planes of Fame museum flies.

I'm not sure if the Rhinebeck Aerodrome in New York is still open; everything there used to be flyable. All WWI era stuff.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post