SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    Any others owned by a cattle dog? Gunner says it's time to play ball!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any others owned by a cattle dog? Gunner says it's time to play ball! Login/Join 
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted
Every day after dinner Gunner lets me know when it's time to play ball. This is his 'being good, but it's time to play, so hurry up Dad' look:

It's go time old man!

Mmmm...Tasty!

Always a happy camper!

Time for a little break

Time for one more throw

Chilling with Dad on a lazy Sunday afternoon

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Cute pup.
We've got 2 in our house (in-laws are staying with us until they close on their new house).

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15151 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
Gunner is a handsome pup! I don’t own an Aussie Cattle dog but always admired their spirit and tenacity.
Early evening is playtime for my Golden as well.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Cute pup.
We've got 2 in our house (in-laws are staying with us until they close on their new house).

Thanks - let's see some pics!

quote:
Originally posted by Dakor:
Gunner is a handsome pup! I don’t own an Aussie Cattle dog but always admired their spirit and tenacity.
Early evening is playtime for my Golden as well.

Spirit and tenacity...That's a good way to put it! Gunner has to be involved with everything the family does - he is not one to be left out of anything! He is also very talkative - I've never had a dog that talks as much as he does.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
My son has a mutt with a fair amount of cattle dog in him. He'll chase a ball until he drops.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
My son has a mutt with a fair amount of cattle dog in him. He'll chase a ball until he drops.

Gunner is the same way. I have to be careful here in the summer months and make sure he doesn't overdo it because he would keep going as long as I throw it. He's very smart though, when I'm done he comes trotting up and I say 'Let's go in' and he trots on by me to the back door and drops his ball there and waits for me to go in. I go in and put his ball in a drawer in the laundry room - we can't leave his ball out in the house because he will never quit playing with it. He will take it to the top of the stairs and push it with his nose and chase it down - again, and again and again.

He does it if he has the ball and we are sitting on the front porch as well.

- John Adams

Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
What a cool little pooch!
Heelers have always had a special place in my heart.

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
What a cool little pooch!
Heelers have always had a special place in my heart.

They have a way of worming their way into your heart for sure!

The reason we put his ball in a drawer in the laundry room is because it's one of those plastic stackable drawers that you have to work to get the drawer open. He can and does open any other drawer that's within his reach.
Here he is, closing the drawer after he saw me put something in there and then went and opened it to check it out and then closed it. I didn't get started filming til he was already done looking and closed the drawer.

All balls have to be kept put away...Here he is playing football

- John Adams

Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Almost too smart. haha.
I have a 3 year old Australian Shepherd that's almost as busy as your pup. I swear he knows more English than my teenager does. He will also not break eye contact with you. If I'm in the room he'll just stare a hole through me waiting for something to work on or do.
He's my absolute best friend in the world.

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arlen
posted Hide Post
We have a registered Border Collie, short hair, black and white. Named him Deke. He was working sheep at 8 weeks old. He is now almost 3 years old, works the cattle beautifully and is getting pretty good at tax accounting and algebra.
Got him from one of the founders of the National Cattledog Association. Both of his parents are champions. Deke is a working dog and a maniac.

(a few months old)

(working cattle)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: arlen,

Regards,
arlen

======================
Some days, it's just not worth the effort of chewing through the leather straps.
======================

Posts: 408 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
WOW! Just wow!

Please give them all a hug and kiss from me Big Grin

Dogs is so much better than peoples Wink

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

One way I can tell the snowbirds are in town (mostly for roping events), is the plethora of dually pickups with one or another breed of cattle dog riding on the top of the bed's toolbox (unwise, IMO). Their numbers around town are like flies at a picnic.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
Almost too smart. haha.
I have a 3 year old Australian Shepherd that's almost as busy as your pup. I swear he knows more English than my teenager does. He will also not break eye contact with you. If I'm in the room he'll just stare a hole through me waiting for something to work on or do.
He's my absolute best friend in the world.

What a beautiful pup! You can see how smart he is just looking at him.

quote:
Originally posted by arlen:
We have a registered Border Collie, short hair, black and white. Named him Deke. He was working sheep at 8 weeks old. He is now almost 3 years old, works the cattle beautifully and is getting pretty good at tax accounting and algebra.
Got him from one of the founders of the National Cattledog Association. Both of his parents are champions. Deke is a working dog and maniac.

That is an awesome shot of him working the cattle! Looks like a really good boy!

quote:
Originally posted by ersatzknarf:
WOW! Just wow!

Please give them all a hug and kiss from me Big Grin

Dogs is so much better than peoples Wink

I will let Gunner know that one of my invisible friends is responsible for an extra snuggle Smile And agree with the equation Dogs > most people.

quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

One way I can tell the snowbirds are in town (mostly for roping events), is the plethora of dually pickups with one or another breed of cattle dog riding on the top of the bed's toolbox (unwise, IMO). Their numbers around town are like flies at a picnic.

That's one worry I have - there's a new kids cartoon out called 'Bluey' - it's about a Blue Heeler family. People will think they are super cute and go get one not realizing that they are working dogs with very high energy and they end up sending them to a shelter when they can't control them. Not the best dogs for living in the suburbs unless you really know what you're doing and have an outlet for their energy every single day.

I was surfing channels the other day and ran across Bluey...Gunner was not impressed!

- John Adams

I'm Pickle Rick!
Picture of Pickle Rick
posted Hide Post
Owned by a few over the years. Wingnut we lost 3 years ago ( made it to 14 y.o. ). He was a Hell of a Family member. When you got home he stood in front of you waiting on socks so that he can place them in the hamper. If I gave him the mail he passed to my wife, if gave him the mail he brought it to me. He was a natural dock diver ( amazing to watch ). He was a Red healer. We miss him dearly. We are currently are owned by Highway ...... Blue healer. Way different personality than Wingnut. This guy is stubborn I mean stubborn. Both were adopted from a ACD rescue in West Virginia. The name Wingnut was easy, his ears were straight up and huge compared to his 10 week old body. Highway, found on the center median in West Virginia. Highway is WORK IN PROGRESS. He too is loved.

Posts: 2862 | Location: Lancaster, PA. | Registered: February 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
Great pictures!

My cousin has a Cattle Dog. We've had a Australian Shepherd for some years.
As many have said- the herders sure are wired differently...

When my youngest son leaves for college (not too far away) our herder is going to be lonely.
She really misses the older son (Penn State) and when he comes home she is ecstatic.
In the meantime...

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
A Arab dude at this Flea Market brings a 8 week old blue heeler puppy with him. One of the Vendors plays kinda rough with him so he really likes useing those puppy teeth. I took him for a short walk last Sunday and every step I had a pup grabbing my pant leg.. Big Grin. I sat for a while and the lil guy wanted to play. I ended up bleeding on 3 fingers. The last hurt like the devil as he gut his tooth caught in the skin on the back of my finger. I grabbed him by the muzzle as he was caught. Thanks a lot dawg.

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zerious
posted Hide Post
We got a Heeler/Staffy mix a few years ago after our last pup passed. She was one of over 40 dogs removed from a cattle ranch in the Winslow/Holbrook area. I've only had GS, so I had no clue what we were in for. She promptly destroyed an ottoman, more sprinkler heads than I can count, every squeeky toy devised, covered my forearm in scars when she was teething, worships my Wife like a goddess, mostly ignores me (until its time to walk)and I absolutely wouldn't give her up for anything. She has grown from a tiny worm infested little nipper to the best damn dog we've ever had. Once they hit you with the Heeler Grin, it's over.

"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."
- Carl Sagan

Posts: 2120 | Location: Arizona | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Love that first picture of your dog! With a face like that, how could one refuse?

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
We're fans of the herding dogs, too. We se quite few out here, Aussies, Heelers and Border Collies.
Kokopelli is now 11 years old, slowing down a bit athletically but not the brain!

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3388 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys and love all the pictures!

The herding breeds are great if you know what you are getting into and know how to handle them.

Gunner was sleepy this weekend, it was cool and rainy outside...

- John Adams