SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    Coopers Hawk and his breakfast
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Coopers Hawk and his breakfast Login/Join 
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted
Drama in my side yard this morning. Look at those eyes. Mating season.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great pics. Thanks for posting. We have Sharpies and Coopers that hunt (and nest) on our Ohio property. At the edge of one woodsy section is the remains of a downed tree trimmed to about 8 feet in length for a place to sit and watch the birds, sunset or anything else of interest. We very often find bunches of feathers, on the log, as seen in your picture. My wife calls it the Sharpie's (or Cooper's) workbench.

Posts: 691 | Location: Ohio & UP of Michigan | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
One more

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
We have a Cooper’s hawk that raids and eats at my wife’s feeders. She gets so mad but I keep telling her it’s my favorite bird we feed. They are such beautiful birds.

Posts: 2951 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
I attract a lot of birds to my yard and we have a lot of hawks that feed on them. A few weeks ago, I actually saw a Cooper's Hawk attack a very large squirrel on my back fence. The squirrel made the hawk retreat a few feet and then another squirrel entered the fray and attacked the hawk. The hawk flew off, then the two squirrels started to fight each other. Quite the wild kingdom going on.

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Great photos; thanks.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47399 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Beautiful bird and pic. I had a hawk, not sure what type, in my front yard one morning. As I pulled up onto my driveway, it looked like a pile of feathers but it turns out the hawk was encircling it's prey and had it's wings surrounding it's meal. It caught a snake and flew to the next house over. The snake tried to wiggle away and the hawk just cut it in half, literally, with it's talons.

Posts: 6874 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Keeping the economy moving since 1964
Picture of chbibc
posted Hide Post
Really great photos! What was breakfast, mourning dove?

-----------------------
You can't fall off the floor.

Posts: 8523 | Location: Rochester, NY behind enemy lines | Registered: March 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
I think it was a dove. After it flew off, I went out and looked at the remains. Just feathers and a little guts. No bones, beak or feet left. Weird. I would have thought the hard stuff would still be there.

They're amazing hawks and incredibly acrobatic. I once saw one chase a robin and force the robin to fly straight down into the ground and crash with the hawk coming down and carrying off the newly crippled robin. But the most spectacular attack I ever saw was over a local university. Two crows flying side by side. A Cooper's Hawk, flying lower and in the same direction caught up with the crows. The hawk pulled an Immelman and snatched one of the crows in midair and struggled off in the opposite direction with it. The crow was as big as the hawk.

The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
That is another one of your great series of pics. Did you use you new lens?

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1864 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So much for bedroom eyes! Fierce!

Please support the SF "Help Mike!" campaign to raise legal fees for a 72 year old Texas teacher and hobby rancher who had 6 forgotten 9mm rounds in his checked luggage leaving T&C and faced 12 years in prison and $50k legal fees at https://fundrazr.com/b2KZgc.

Posts: 2023 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: April 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post