SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    Help me build a new Sony Full Frame kit!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help me build a new Sony Full Frame kit! Login/Join 
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted
The new announcements of the A7III and A7RIII has got me really excited, and I think I'm ready to make the jump from my Fuji X-T2 system to either of the A7 mark III bodies.

I started with a really cheap Fuji X system and built it up little by little, reading reviews for individual lenses as I needed them and hunting for good deals. Now, because I'm transitioning more quickly, I need someone with experience in the ecosystem to give me a boost up at which lenses I must have, which lenses to avoid, and third party lenses I should consider. The Fuji Ecosystem was small, well documented, and Fuji published a clear roadmap of future lens releases--moreover, Fuji's lenses were pretty much all superb except for like one lens that everyone hated on. Sony, by comparison, has a dizzying number of lenses that coexist in the same focal range, some better than others, some Sony, Sony/Zeiss, Zeiss/Batis, G badged, GM badged, ZA badged? I'm going to do all my research now, make my wish list, collect the lenses on the secondary market, then sell my Fuji stuff when I ready.

My current kit is as follows:

Fuji X-T2
Rokinon 12mm F2 for Astrophotography (18mm equiv.)
Rokinon 8mm F2.8 fisheye for spherical real estate photos. (12mm equiv.)
Fuji 10-24mm F4 for wide angle real estate, landscapes, travel. (15-36mm equiv.)
Fuji 23mm F1.4 for travel, event and lifestyle (35mm equiv.)
Fuji 35mm F1.4 for event, lifestyle and portraits (50mm equiv.)
Fuji 50-140mm F2.8 for portraits (75-210mm equiv.)

I compartmentalize my needs like this:

A) When I travel, I'd like a wide angle zoom for expansive landscapes and interiors, and a fast 35mm (equiv.) for all my people shots (lifestyle, travel snapshots). Fast because sometimes my shots are in dark spaces like cathedrals, but sometimes cause I like me some bokeh. 35mm instead of 50mm because I like to put the people in context with the background when I travel. Weather sealing for these lenses would be awesome.

B) For event and lifestyle, I bounce between the 35mm an 50mm focal length (equiv.). Faster is better. I don't shoot professionally yet, but I really do aim for professional results when I shoot for my friends: I've done parties, maternity, baby announcements, and newborn photos Hey, maybe someone will let me second shoot a wedding for them?

C) For portraits, it's mostly just kids and families for now. Maybe one day some weddings or something fun.

My priority is that I definitely need a lens wide enough to shoot interior real estate photos (and video) because I need that for my wife's business, and at least something in the 35mm focal length that is fast. I'm coming from an APS-C F1.4, so to me F/2 on a full-frame is "fast". Faster than that would be awesome.

I heard that Sigma is releasing 7 of their ART primes for the Sony FE mount.

Thanks in advance for the help and discussion!

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Edit to just remove everything because I had way to many of the lenses mixed up and it would have been of no use. Most of what I thought I knew was just from me randomly readying up on different photo gear and is stuff you will come across anyways.

Posts: 2489 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: July 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Thanks for making the attempt!

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was really thinking about going the sony route so I spent a little time reading up but it was and is a lot to take in. You have probably seen by now but there are E mount lenses that are Full frame and other that are ASP-C. The Full frame compatible start with FE and the APS-C start with just E if I remember right. The "G Master" lenses are what I considered the equivalent of the Canon L lenses.

The Zeiss FE 16-35 F/4 OSS is an almost direct replacement for the Fuji 10-24 and has the stabilization. It would defiantly be on my must have.

The Rokinon 12 2.8 fisheye is also a direct replacement.

On the 35mm there seems to be a dead zone between f1.4 and f2.8 but they are both great lenses. There was no way I was going to be able to afford the f1.4's so I had kind of be thinking along the lines of the FE 28 f2 instead of the 35 2.8 and then going with the Zeiss FE 55 F1.8 ZA.

The 75-210 equiv is probably going to be the FE 70-200 F2.8. It is heavy and expensive but it is also ridiculously nice.

For astro I'd see what the reviews on the ART 14 f1.8 are like. With it being an auto focus as well you could do a lot with it travel wise as well.

I really like your gear set up and how you use them as to me it makes since. I currently have and Xt-1 and a pair of X-pro1's (even though one is on permanent on loan to a friend along with a 18-55 lens) along with the 12mm Rokinon, 23 f1.4, 35 f1.4, and another 18-55. I really want a 56 1.2 or 90mm f2 for portraits but lately have been picking up old 35mm lenses from craigslist and FB marketplace to adapt them and fill that void.

If you end up changing to Sony put them in the classifieds or drop me an e-mail as I'd have an interest in the X-t2 or the 8mm fish eye. And just in case you don't know the fred miranda buy/sell is great, most of the gear I have is from there and I've had nothing but good transactions.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sureshot45,

Posts: 2489 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: July 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hopefully, you can let us know how you go. I am not much help but I watch and read a lot of the A series videos and articles. I had to go with the A6500 but hope to upgrade some day.

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is that good men have insurance." JALLEN

Posts: 961 | Location: Shadow of St. Helens | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post