SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    Let's see some 10/22 fun
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Let's see some 10/22 fun Login/Join 
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
How big is the diameter of the forend where the barrel comes out? Is it 1" or so; big enough for a bull barrel?

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5707 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
I will look when I get home but I'm pretty sure that a .920 bull barrel will clear the handguard.
Check your email, kimberkid

This message has been edited. Last edited by: xl_target,

Posts: 2322 | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted Hide Post
Picked up this one the other day for cheap, has a long 8" scuff down the side of the forearm and the LGS was happy to dump it.
Polished out the finish and the scuff was gone Smile
Put on Williams peep rear and matching height front gold bead. A VQ hammer & PowerCustom adj overtravel trigger and springs. I'm eager to shoot it.

Posts: 3548 | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
Thanks to xl_target I dressed up one of my plane-jane 10-22's with the Archangle Nomad ... I ordered the kit on Monday, it showed up Thursday, got it put together last night and although we have 25-30mph winds today, and momma has to work so I plan to take it to the range for an afternoon of plinking along with the Zimmerman Reveloution 22 ... Yea, it looks like a 10-22 but the receiver is made by Zimmerman but the internals are 10-22

Engraving is
scratching
on purpose
Picture of mm6mm6
posted Hide Post
The first new gun I ever bought was a Ruger 10/22 right after I got my first job. I set it up with a Choate folding stock and all the doodads that were popular circa 1987.

My Dad had an original Steyr Mannlicher Schoenhauer with the full length Mannlicher/International stock and I always loved the way that rifle looked.

So after a couple decades, I bought a new Ruger International walnut stock with the factory hand cut checkering and now I have a neat tribute to my Dad's rifle.

When Ruger came out with the 10/22 Takedown, I just had to have one!

But an International stock made into a take down would be really neat!

I bought a Ruger BX trigger for it too!

I had the barrel engraved with a bit of American Scroll:

And I really like the Marble Arms rear bullseye sight. It works perfectly with the factory front sight.

-Steve

Posts: 985 | Registered: March 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
Steve, I really like your International takedown.
What a perfect little jewel.

Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kimberkid:
Thanks to xl_target I dressed up one of my plane-jane 10-22's with the Archangle Nomad ... I ordered the kit on Monday, it showed up Thursday, got it put together last night and although we have 25-30mph winds today, and momma has to work so I plan to take it to the range for an afternoon of plinking along with the Zimmerman Reveloution 22 ... Yea, it looks like a 10-22 but the receiver is made by Zimmerman but the internals are 10-22

How did the G36 clone shoot?

Engraving is
scratching
on purpose
Picture of mm6mm6
posted Hide Post
Thanks XL!

Posts: 985 | Registered: March 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted Hide Post
What a great project that International take down must have been. Very nice tribute to your Dad.

Posts: 3548 | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xl_target:

How did the G36 clone shoot?

Let's just say I wasn't completely satisfied ...

When I put it together I used a 16" bull barrel I had set aside for another project that got sidetracked, and I was impressed with the weight, quality and overall feel of the kit ... except for the non-functional ambi-safety would dig into my trigger finger a bit ... Kinda like the one on the Scorpion EVO. It went together kind of tight in the barrel block but the barrel itself doesn't seem to rub anywhere I already had an extended mag release and bolt release but neither would work with this kit so I installed the kit supplied parts, and I already had a Voltzquartzen hammer and sear in the FCG so it has a decent trigger.

For sighting I put on an old BSA red-dot and the two do co-witness and both were pretty close to zero.

The only thing that put a damper on the first outing, were the mags. As other people have commented, the mags are going to require some work as I couldn't get a single round to feed. The bullet just bashed into the mag instead of going into the chamber ... Fortunately, from the comments of others I brought a couple Ruger 25 round mags so it wasn't a completely wasted trip because I didn't make it to the range on Sunday as planned, I stopped at QuickTrip and grabbed a polish sausage & chips, then made a quick trip out to a friends farm on my lunch hour ... I would have been pissed if I'd gotten there and couldn't shoot because of mag issues ... It seems that these mags are better suited to photo-op's than actual use (I bought 1 extra with the kit).

Here it is at the farm with my YHM Mite suppressor ... Not that it's terribly important, but does the Pro-Mag drum fit with the kit? I tried my BDM drum and its too short.

Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
Next time you get a chance to shoot it, pull the mags out of the sleeves and shoot them.
At first, I downloaded them to about 23 or so rounds and seated them with the bolt open.
The problem with my mags was that when loaded to capacity, there is no give left in the spring and the bolt had to be locked back or they would not seat fully.
Once in the sleeve, I found that the back of the sleeve hadn't been adequately trimmed and would not allow the assembly to seat fully.
The whole assembly would rock back and forth and I experienced feed issues.
After trimming, both my mags now run 100%, even in the sleeves.
When out of the sleeves, they will work in my 10/22.

Here is an image that shows which area to trim. I just trimmed it a little at a time and test fit it between each application of the Dremel.
Once the magazine catch stopped moving when I rocked the magazine, I considered it good enough.
It literally just took me a minute or two with a Dremel and a sanding drum.

Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
I'll look at the sleeves again, but when I was at the farm I didn't have any tools with me and I couldn't get the mags out the sleeves ... Next time I'll have my a couple tools with me, or start out with the sleeves off.

I would lock the bolt back and seat the mag and it locked in fine however the the bolt wouldn't strip the round off because the cartridge nose-dives into to mag and when unloading it by hand even after I get the first 2-3 rounds out a round would still nose dive every few rounds.

BTW, mm6mm6 that International takedown is awesome!

Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
The easiest way for me to get the sleeves off is to insert the mag in the magwell (with the bolt locked back) and then twist while pulling down. They pop right off.
With my untrimmed sleeve, it would appear to lock in place but the magazine was tipped because the very back of the sleeve was touching something in the magazine latch area. When I rocked the magazine, you could see the mag catch moving back and forth.

Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bigboreshooter

Bigboreshooter, what scope is that you are using on your takedown? It looks a bit shorter than most pictured here, and than many that have been recommended to me. I like the idea of being able to bag the rifle with the scope attached.

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xl_target:
The easiest way for me to get the sleeves off is to insert the mag in the magwell (with the bolt locked back) and then twist while pulling down. They pop right off.
With my untrimmed sleeve, it would appear to lock in place but the magazine was tipped because the very back of the sleeve was touching something in the magazine latch area. When I rocked the magazine, you could see the mag catch moving back and forth.

So I took it out to the range today,using the same ammo, Remington Golden Bullets which work fine in my Ruger 10 and 25 round mags. I tried the Pro-Mags without the sleeves on them; 20 rounds in 1 mag and 10 in the other. The rounds still nose-dived in the mags ... When they did chamber, while it seemed the bolt was closed all I got was a click. After 20-30 minutes I dug around in the ammo boxes and found some CCI 40 grain "quiet 22" not labeled subsonic but not standard velocity either. These would chamber and fire but not strong enough to strip the next round

One of the main differences was the Golden Bullets are hollow point wnd the CCI's are solid tip ... I did a little more digging around and found a box of Winchester Super-X ... They had a solid point and full power ... These worked perfectly without and with the mag sleeve. I shot a couple mags of these, even loaded with 25 rounds; then tried some Golden Bullets again and the functioned better but not perfectly I'd still get the nose-dive every few rounds, but they worked better ... Maybe these mags just need to be broken in with solid points ... Or maybe the hollow points will never be reliable.

This is what I'd see when I pulled the bolt back or if it didn't close. My thoughts at first were a weak spring but with the CCI ammo it fed perfectly ... The nose being solid, maybe a tad longer.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: kimberkid,

Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
I'm afraid that I've given up on Remington Golden Bullets. From my last batch, some didn't even want to chamber fully. Some didn't feed correctly, getting bent by the bolt when it returned home. Some were noticeably louder than others. Many had loose bullets that rotated freely in the case. When one ruptured its case and blew the extractor out of my S&W Victory, I gave up. It was also very dirty ammo that left a lot of unburnt powder all over. I left what I had remaining, at the range, with a FREE sign on it.

On my 10/22's:
The Winchester SuperX works fine, as do any CCI products. This includes hollowpoints made by either manufacturer.
Wolf and Eley work fine too.
Most Federal .22LR works too (some of it is made by CCI now).
Most of Aguila's products work too.
The only exception is CCI Quiet, which doesn't have the energy to cycle the slide fully with its reduced charge of powder.

Looking at your photos, my mags look like that too. You can see where they nipped off the casting sprue right at the leading edge of the feed lips. However, after the first few magazine fulls, they feed fine now.

I really like the ergonomics of the Archangel Nomad kit. It fits me well and is fun to shoot. Apart from some initial teething problems, it works well now.

Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
Thanks for that rundown on ammo, I'll try a few others ... Funny thing is, that same Golden Bullets work just fine in the Ruger mags and before the Win SuperX the Golden Bullets wouldn't run at all from a ProMag ... Even when I did get the bolt seemingly closed, all I got was a click ... it seems like the ProMag is just a little tighter than a Ruger mag and possibly the Golden Bullets are just a hair longer than the SuperX so they drag in the mag?

Regardless, it sounds like I'll have to shoot anything else (except subsonic's) in the ProMags ... I think I still have about 1/2 a case of Sidewinders I bought in 2010 so I should be OK ... I'll save the GoldenBullets for the AR & 522!