SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    ** Small Update 1-27 page 18*** Winter project, building a house
Page 1 2 3 4 5 ... 19
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

** Small Update 1-27 page 18*** Winter project, building a house Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
What will be in the area beneath the bar joist?

Posts: 901 | Location: Wilmington,NC....I-40 West, use it! | Registered: June 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For the time being nothing, there will be some wiring and plumbing run though the bar joist so I have to leave it uncovered until all that work is done. I haven't decided on putting a permanent lining underneath them yet because I'm waiting to see how much money is left before deciding to add a basement/shop/shooting range now or wait a few years. My only concern with it being left open are mice and other critters taking up residence there.

I forgot to mention that I killed a copperhead 3 days ago under that big cedar tree on the right of all the pictures, after having walked underneath the tree at least 10 times that day.

Posts: 2489 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: July 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To the top guys, more pictures on the first post

Posts: 2489 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: July 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
As the others have said, please update with pictures as you have time.

You will appreciate that house so much more when its done because of all the hard work you've put into it.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Back to the top again, only a 3 day wait this time.

Picture of lugerguards
posted Hide Post
Can i just come down and build with you for a few weeks. i would want to put some natural light in that though.

Nothing here to see!

Posts: 1865 | Location: Will County, Illinois | Registered: October 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I was just working on the house I'd say yes. There will be lots of light. I scored 14 42"x54" frameless windows for $400 of craigslist about 2 years ago, and a couple months before that caught a National Home Center closing down and bought another 7-8 windows at 75% off. There will be a lot of windows, thinking about a skylight too but with the nearly flat roof I'm worried about leaks.

quote:
Originally posted by lugerguards:
Can i just come down and build with you for a few weeks. i would want to put some natural light in that though.

Picture of AnimalMother88
posted Hide Post
I would love to do something like this on a parcel of land my Dad has set aside for me. Alas, having the resources available that you do is at least 80% of the battle, and I do not have said resources. I love the ideas that you are sharing, and I'll be following. I call the motif industrial chic. Cool

How deep did you set the pylons?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: AnimalMother88,

Posts: 1338 | Location: Indy | Registered: January 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnimalMother88:
I would love to do something like this on a parcel of land my Dad has set aside for me. Alas, having the resources available that you do is at least 80% of the battle, and I do not have said resources. I love the ideas that you are sharing, and I'll be following. I call the motif industrial sheik. Cool

How deep did you set the pylons?

The pylons are 4'-4.5' deep, I hit shale on all of them and they are 24" in diameter.

Without a doubt there is no way I could have undertaken this without having access to all of the equipment. I'm trying to figure out something to do for everyone who has helped me especially my father, not that he expects anything though.

Picture of dkv
posted Hide Post
Looking good.
Very cool that you are recycling lots of parts, and using wood from your own freakin trees. Very cool.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Connecticut Shoreline | Registered: March 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Walls and the roof are up, to the top.

Past Master
Picture of yucaipa
posted Hide Post
Yea, you're a hillbilly, I Wanta see when you weld down the toilet Razz

Looks great, keep the pictures coming.

Harry S. Truman

www.CrossCountryQuilting.com
"Deep in the heart of the Ozarks"

Posts: 3967 | Location: Boone County, Arkansas | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tenmm
posted Hide Post
You're just using the Fab-loks to hold the panels on? Usually that type of panel has a clip and screw in the girts that gets hidden when the next panel is set. If it were me, I'd put a through screw at the top and bottom.
Looks good, great view too!

Posts: 760 | Location: Alaska | Registered: December 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First time using these wall panels but I was told it was fine to just use fablocks like on the other panels. Once I get the porches on ill run some screws through. Thanks for the info.

Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
Not many men can say they built their home...I am envious Razz

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Austerity
posted Hide Post
Epic thread

'scribed

------------------------
"...to disarm the people - that was the best and most effectual way to enslave them." - George Mason

Posts: 1228 | Location: Evans, GA | Registered: September 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ACTEG
posted Hide Post
Very cool. Keep the updates coming. I love non-traditional ideas.

Posts: 3584 | Registered: March 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
That's gonna be a nice home. Are you building in a gun vault?

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9357 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks to everyone for the comments this is a big time learning experience to say the least.

Yes and no, I've been meaning to start looking for a door as it looks like i've stumbled across some 1/4" steel plate at scrap price to build the room out of. If it doesn't work out to be in the house it will be underneath once I turn that area into a shop.
quote:
Originally posted by hberttmank:
That's gonna be a nice home. Are you building in a gun vault?

He only employs his passion he who can make no use of his reason
Picture of jmg
posted Hide Post
Awesome undertaking. Amazing to be able to say: "I built this".

Posts: 625 | Location: Denton, TX by way of NH | Registered: September 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post