SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    ** Small Update 1-27 page 18*** Winter project, building a house
Page 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 19
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

** Small Update 1-27 page 18*** Winter project, building a house Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Taco I wouldn't mind you moving in the shop, but as much hell as I get for having had the shop tied up for the last year and a half I can't imagine what they would do if I moved someone in Big Grin.

Comet, I did find a place a few hours away and will probably end up giving them a call to get a price for doing the tub. Just seems like a better choice.

Now for the update, I had drawn out the design for my kitchen cabinets last summer and simply pulled them out and cut all the peices and put everything together. There was only one small problem, I'm almost 6'5" tall and I designed my cabinets to be 42" tall instead of the standard 36". Now that I'm no longer single and the mrs is 5'6" tall the cabinets were just a litte to tall for her to use all of the time.

The only thing to do was load them up and take them back to the shop where I cut 3" out of the frames and welded everything back together. Took about 4 hours all together which wasn't bad it was just a hassle. And if anyone has worked with stainless you know that it pulls like a mother fucker after you weld on it and I simple wasn't able to get everything back perfectly square like I wanted it.

Cabinet building it also meticulous work and this being my first time I'm having to go extremely slow to make sure I don't mess up,

A few pictures to hold you over.

Installed the first 3 drawer tonight, and if anyone is in the market for full extension drawer slides go to amazon, they beat the local places by $10 per 2 slides,

Front windows are trimed out now, metal place put the color on the wrong side of the bend for my eves or the outside of the house would be completely trimmed out.

Posts: 2489 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: July 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Still awesome. Cabinet top choice?

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2362 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How could i forget the counter tops, I have been working on them for a couple of weeks.

They are walnut, the peice for the island will end up being about 2 5/8" thick, 12' long and 30" wide. The one for the counter is 1 1/4" thick.

This one is for the island, the slinder long peice is full length (about a foot will be cut off auctually) the other will be the free span part of the island up to where the cook top will be. I'll then make 2 small peices to finish it out around the cooktop. Originally was going to make one solid peice but I don't have a good way to cut a hole in 2 1'2 inch material.

This is the one for the counter.

Posts: 2489 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: July 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cabinet facings are done finally.

Little closer look at the walnut, was going to use oak because I was worried about to much dark with the counter tops and the floor but I thing the pulp wood adds enough to break it up nicely.

posted Hide Post
Love the updates. How much longer til you can move in? Those cabinets are beautiful.

Posts: 1148 | Registered: May 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been sleeping there for about a month but the Mrs is moving up in 9 days... So ill be moved in then Smile. I have 4 day weekend coming up so the inside should be 99% done by next week.

posted Hide Post
Now that is something to be proud of every time you walk in the door.

Posts: 5406 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of heatinajeep
posted Hide Post
love this thread, thanks for your updates to it.

Good work man, well played.

Posts: 1976 | Location: Moody, AL | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the walnut. The plywood sides are so much lighter, are you planning a stain for those?

--

JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 2362 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the continuous grain of your drawer fronts. Walnut is a beautiful wood. You will look back on your work years from now with happiness and pride. Congratulations!

Posts: 116 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: November 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Awesome, and motivational, thread. Fantastic work. Kinda feeling lazy about now....

Posts: 87 | Location: Ohio | Registered: March 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
SigJacket, the plywood will be covered as well. Planning on running walnut horizontally.

Thank you for the kinds words, it really is starting to set in that this thing is almost done and that I've come up with something kind of special.

posted Hide Post
couple more.

posted Hide Post
Oh, now that will rock. Can't have too much walnut. What's going to be your top finish?

--

JALLEN 10/18/18

Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
Nice effect for each horizontal set of drawers to be a "single board".

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I've got mental
blue balls now
Picture of tlbailey1
posted Hide Post
Looking great! Where do you plan on putting the oven/range? Island? Double stove on the right of counter/sink?

Posts: 6847 | Location: Idaho | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I picked up some clear food safe oil stuff to put on the counter tops, I tried a little spot last night and it really brings out the character of the wood.

Yes, double wall oven to the right of the sink, the cooktop till be in the island.

posted Hide Post
Looks amazing. Are the indirect lights trimmed out? I am curious to see how they look. I love the idea.

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is that good men have insurance." JALLEN

Posts: 961 | Location: Shadow of St. Helens | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prep, Confirm, Roll
posted Hide Post
This is easily the coolest thread on SF! I can't even imagine the level of pride you must feel every time to walk through that door!

NRA Certified instructor,
and Range Safety officer

OpSpec Training http://opspectraining.com
Grayguns - http://grayguns.com

Posts: 3172 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dkv
posted Hide Post
That is great work. I really like it.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Connecticut Shoreline | Registered: March 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post