SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    ** Small Update 1-27 page 18*** Winter project, building a house
Page 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 19
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

** Small Update 1-27 page 18*** Winter project, building a house Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Holy Crap its been 2 months! So having a soon to be wife 6 hours away and working a crazy schedule makes the time fly but the next 2 weeks I plan on having picture every couple of days as I'm almost done with this thing. Which is great because as soon as I'm done I get to start building a pottery studio for future Mrs.Sureshot.

The barn/shop with my cabinet frames laid out on the floor.

Another shot of the frames, the stainless tubing you see will be exposed with wood drawer facing coming flush with the front of the stainless (no swinging cabinet doors) the frames will have 4" legs supporting them.

A view of the painted living room with my oven waiting for cabinets.

fridge is in place, with my makeshift table from my tile saw box.

Guest shower with the tile done, minus cleaning the grout dust off completely.

another view of the guest bath.

Living room into the master bedroom

The master bath vanity is finally up as of today. still need to hook up the drains and put the faucet hardware on.

Cast iron tub from craigslist is in, although it need to be refinished on the inside. I plan on trying a do it yourself kit.

The walk in shower, still lacking some grout in one corner and painting the ceiling.

looking out of the master bathroom.

The appraisers will be coming next week, finally starting to feel like I might actually finish this thing.

Thank you guys and gals for the feedback and encouragement.

Posts: 2489 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: July 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
That is so awesome, thanks for the update.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9357 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prince of Cats
Picture of matthew03
posted Hide Post
So when do the producers of Cribs show up to plan for the future episode? Your place is so unique and I am sure all the hard work you've put in is gratifying. Congratulations on such a nice looking home and I hope you and your new bride enjoy a lifetime of happyness there building memories.

---------------------------------------
www.AppalachianConcealment.com

Posts: 6555 | Location: S.W. Virginia | Registered: March 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dkv
posted Hide Post
That is looking really nice. Definitely publication-worthy, both for aesthetics and for DIY-ness.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Connecticut Shoreline | Registered: March 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ozarks Holster Co.
Picture of dosborn81
posted Hide Post
Not sure how I have missed this thread, but it rules! Nice work. Smile

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Posts: 9147 | Location: Nixa, MO | Registered: April 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
I LOVE the stainless vanity! Very cool idea. Between that and the dark floors, somehow you managed to successfully combine an industrial feel with a classic look perfectly. Great job! A few questions from someone who knows nothing about building or code or any of that... Is there anything stopping you from making it a "two level" house now? With your fabrication skills a spiral staircase would be cake to put together (wrought iron would look awesome), then throw some windows on the one side (the "tall side farthest from the hill), enclose part of the back side (against the hill) with the steel for your gun room and put the pottery studio on the front side with all the natural light. Just some ideas, not sure how feasible it is though, but would also effectively double the sq footage of the house.

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
BBQ Sauce for Everyone!
Picture of TKO
posted Hide Post
Of all the stuff you have done, my favorite part is still that floor.

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

Posts: 8121 | Location: Phoenix AZ | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nothing can be Something
Picture of greybeard9
posted Hide Post
I've enjoyed watching the progress. Please keep them coming.

"In the age of madness, to expect to be untouched by madness is a form of madness." - Saul Bellow

Posts: 1063 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Wow, keep up the great work!

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cmr076:
I LOVE the stainless vanity! Very cool idea. Between that and the dark floors, somehow you managed to successfully combine an industrial feel with a classic look perfectly. Great job! A few questions from someone who knows nothing about building or code or any of that... Is there anything stopping you from making it a "two level" house now? With your fabrication skills a spiral staircase would be cake to put together (wrought iron would look awesome), then throw some windows on the one side (the "tall side farthest from the hill), enclose part of the back side (against the hill) with the steel for your gun room and put the pottery studio on the front side with all the natural light. Just some ideas, not sure how feasible it is though, but would also effectively double the sq footage of the house.

Thank you for the comments. There really isn't anything keeping me from making it a split level, and in fact that was the original idea for the pottery studio expansion. I was going to remove the dirt from under the house (or most of it) and then pour concrete and do as you suggested with windows along the high side and then a garage door on the end facing the drive way and add about 1000 sq/ft (2/3 of the above part)

After crunching the numbers (and the fact we moved up her move in date by a month to June 1st) it will be faster and cheaper to build an identical looking building perpendicual to the side of the house closest to the woods. The plan is for a 15x35 studio that will be just hers with me building a wood/metal shop sometime in the future.

So for now the plan is to finish the house in the next two weeks, and hopefully have her up and running by the end of June. Luckily I Have 75% of the materials I need to build her studio.

Its funny how now that I'm almost finished, work is starting to slow back down but thats life I suppose.

Posts: 2489 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: July 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Incredible! You're livin the life. What a pad and what a great design!

Posts: 11357 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of huskerlrrp
posted Hide Post
Favorite thread....

Well done, I like following this one.

Posts: 1788 | Location: North Cackalacky | Registered: September 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am very impressed! Nice work!

Posts: 2169 | Registered: April 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grapes of Wrath
Picture of Wino
posted Hide Post
Very impressive!

I look forward to the updates.

Posts: 1454 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Watchful Guardian
Picture of badkarma56
posted Hide Post
I.
Love.
It.
Dude.

-BK

"If it's all the same to you, I'd really prefer to visit the range."

Posts: 7980 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: August 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fight, Build, Destroy.
Sappers Lead the Way!!
Picture of Zacsquatch
posted Hide Post
This is so badass...

Trying to figure out what I want to be when I grow up

Posts: 4597 | Location: Winchester, KY | Registered: December 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigMaverick
posted Hide Post
snazzy

--------------------------

I own a bunch of Sigs with Beavertails...

Posts: 937 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: November 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fvyellowbird
posted Hide Post
I usually avoid the Gallery because on my phone and it takes so long to load, but I'm glad I stopped in today! Awesome! My winter project was setting a reloading space in my house, and I'm nowhere near done. Huzzah!

Hell, is other people! J-P S

Posts: 1140 | Location: St Simons Island, Georgia USA! | Registered: October 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of taco68
posted Hide Post
I have been following this since day one on here! Man, very well done! I can't wait to see the finished product!!! Oh, by the way! Can I come live in your barn/shop!! Big Grin

Sigs P-220, P-226 9mm, & P-230SL (CCW)

Posts: 2539 | Location: Icebox of the Nation | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Love the bathroom and wood floors.

I would hire someone to do the tub. I did one years ago when I didn't want to spend much. It looked ok and laster a few year but then started to flake around the drain. Prep is your friend if you do decide to take it one.

I've aslo seen them done by people that do them everyday. They are worth what they charge just make sure they know what they are doing.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16378 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post