SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    ** Small Update 1-27 page 18*** Winter project, building a house
Page 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 19
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

** Small Update 1-27 page 18*** Winter project, building a house Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I think that I'll pass it this time, took it back in 09 after graduation and failed with 62% correct. Its been almost 5 years since I have done any high level math so that is what I'm spending most of my time on. They also have new computer based test that are 6 hours long(including a 30 min break) an 110 questions, there is no more morning and afternoon section and the whole test tailored to the discipline.

Posts: 2489 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: July 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
keeping it alive

Posts: 2489 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: July 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shoots Flies
at Fifty Yards!
Picture of SuhlShooter
posted Hide Post
I look forward to the updates of your home. I have enjoyed watching it's progress. Was thinking about it the other day. Glad to see you are still kicking things around.

Posts: 3028 | Location: Hit the ground running in Moultrie, GA | Registered: July 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Any updates on the project?

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23209 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not a lot to update on unfortunately. We recently finished a free standing bookcase for the living room and a TV cart that I have been meaning to get pictures of. Also finally finished getting all of the handrails up around the house.

Not sure I mentioned it before but the 1k I spent in tin and tubing to underpin the house ended up being worthless, as Nationwide insurance wants nothing to do with insuring the house since it is built on piers. The house is currently insured for a little over what the building loan is and is fairly cheap at about $30 a month. To get the house and out building insured for full value would be $150 a month. I did't want to close the house in like I did so there is a good chance I'll be ripping it off and using the metal for a carport.

I should be taking my FE exam in the next couple of months and I'm going to need about $7500 to get the carport, retaining walls, and driveway finished.

Till then I'm going to work on a few other pieces of furniture, and do a little bit of fishing.

posted Hide Post
I have really enjoyed coming back to this thread as well. Please continue with the updates from time to time.

I agree with Bashman that the FE was a more difficult exam than the PE. Best of luck in your studies and may you pass it the first time through. What is your field of engineering? Civil / Hydro here.

Posts: 584 | Location: Helena, AL | Registered: July 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm a Electrical by degree, but the family business was Industrial Refrigeration so I know a bit about Mechanical as well. Was going to dual degree as a EE/ME but finished the Electrical first with about 21 mechanical hours left and never went back to finish it.

I appreciate all the feedback and the forum, its something else to look back over the last 3 years I've been working on the house.

My Time is Yours
Picture of davetruong
posted Hide Post
sureshot45, you are my idol. great work!

God, Family, Country.

Posts: 6008 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: October 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Any chance at some summer pics of the back view? All I see are the barren winter landscape!

Great thread and house!

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
Fantastic! I have no idea on how I missed a thread as cool as this one. Keep up the great work.

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
David your to kind you your compliments. Here are a few shots of what the place looks like when its green. I'm in between cameras right now so I had to use my iphone that is scratched all to hell.

that is off the deck

This one is drive way level.

I have been getting a little hands on time with a 20" Stihl, getting the woods to the side of the house cleaned up a bit. Mostly getting rid of the cedar trees but I also had a couple of dead standing trees that needed to be cleared out.

Pine disk that will eventually be dipped in polyurethane and used to make walking paths around the house.

Here is the bookcase/room divider I finished recently

Picture of Seotaji
posted Hide Post
Wow. Sureshot45, you are a man of many talents. Great work!

Posts: 6917 | Registered: February 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mrhockey
posted Hide Post
The pine disk path idea is brilliant!

"Dancing M&Ms?! This guy's f**king baked!"

Posts: 392 | Location: PHX, AZ | Registered: March 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I continue to be amazed! What a cool place! That flooring is outstanding!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38642 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the many compliments.

I can't take credit for the wood disk path though, that one belongs to my wife.

That is my spot.
posted Hide Post
Still impressing me brother. Awesome stuff. Cool to see that your wife comes up with some good ideas- mine comes up with about all the good ideas. Smile

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Ben Franklin

Posts: 2110 | Location: Rural Tallahassee, FL | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
Impressive, truly impressive!

Posts: 17342 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Want to keep this active. Any updates?

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38642 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the bump, I was checking to make sure it didn't auto-lock. Things are moving slowly for sure but I've gotten a few little things done I'll post pictures this week

Picture of ACTEG
posted Hide Post
Too cool man. I love what you have done with your house. I love that it is unconvential, but it is what you wanted and you created it. I also think it's great that you found someone else on this crazy planet to share it all with. Good for you man! Coming back to this thread always makese me smile.

Posts: 3585 | Registered: March 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post