SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    ** Small Update 1-27 page 18*** Winter project, building a house
Page 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 19
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

** Small Update 1-27 page 18*** Winter project, building a house Login/Join 
Picture of dkv
posted Hide Post
Sureshot, email sent.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Connecticut Shoreline | Registered: March 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sureshot, late to this thread but you are doing a superb build , the floor is very interesting.

What type of hardwood is the floor? Congratulations on your build , you are one talented young man.

Thanks for the photos and info, good luck to you in your home! MG

Posts: 2714 | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of stu1000rr
posted Hide Post
Wow...now clue as to how I missed this thread for so long.

That is a beautiful home you are building. My wife and I are just starting to entertain the idea of the possibility of building a house.

It is a bit overwhelming to say the least.

You however are doing a phenomenal job it looks great.

Len

Posts: 265 | Location: Southwest Georgia | Registered: February 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Invest Early, Invest Often
Picture of TomV
posted Hide Post
After reading the mortgage thread I had to go see the house......

Posts: 1347 | Location: Escaped California...Now In Sunny, Southern Utah | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Broke a bone in my hand yesterday so I should have time to stop and upload some photos. Wanted to make sure it didn't get auto locked

Posts: 2489 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: July 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sureshot45:
Broke a bone in my hand yesterday so I should have time to stop and upload some photos. Wanted to make sure it didn't get auto locked

Sorry to hear about your hand. Hopefully you have a quick recovery.

Any chance you can upload a pic of the fluorescents in the kitchen? I am curious to how you finished them.

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is that good men have insurance." JALLEN

Posts: 961 | Location: Shadow of St. Helens | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks like i missed a few questions.

midwest guy, they are oak boards like those that you find in the beds of tractor trailer and big box trucks. I picked then up used (for free) and sanded them down, stained and polyurethaned them.

Dar185, I decided to try a cheaper way out on the light covers and made wood frames and covered them with Rice paper. They hinge which makes it easy to open and change the bubs when the time arises but I didn't fully think them out and will eventually do something different.

A picture of the finished kitchen

Finished side porch. There are a still a few handrails that need to be painted and installed on the back of the house.

Pantry door, made from rough sawed lumber that I have had drying for a couple of years.

Guest bedroom door, you can see the light covers in the top right.

Master bedroom door, my plan had always been for dark floors and white walls with all the color coming from objects and doors. I'm extremely pleased with how it has worked thus far.

Now for what most of my time lately (aside from the 2 jobs) has been spent on. My beautiful wife left a good job back in the summer to move here to be with me and start our life together. I was hoping to have her pottery studio built months ago but she has been patient with the delays even though she is dying to start creating work again.

This broken hand is going to keep me slowed down for at least 6 weeks, which might means I'll have to let other people do more than I normally would. I have been told that isn't a bad thing.

Posts: 2489 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: July 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shoots Flies
at Fifty Yards!
Picture of SuhlShooter
posted Hide Post
I love this thread!

Do you have a plan to capture and reuse the water run off from the flat roofs?

What hard landscape do you plan out the back to connect the two buildings?

Posts: 3028 | Location: Hit the ground running in Moultrie, GA | Registered: July 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The idea has been thought of to collect the water for use in a garden but no way to put a time frame on when i could do it.

Landscaping will have to be done in stages as well. Looking at the last picture where the tahoe is you can pull forward and turn left between the house and studio. There will be a small porch on the studio but the idea is to be able to pull through and then back up to the hill ( with the car parallel to the studio) to unload stuff at truck bed height. Eventually the area behind the studio will be cut out and leveled so that you can roll carts and stuff out of the 8' door on the studio to an area with kilns and what not, With that area all being at the tailgate height from the lower area.

Hopefully that made sense

Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
Simply amazing Sureshot!

You sir, are a craftsman! Nice job!

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A) this is certainly an HGTV extreme home.
B) if sureshot is awarded a CUT, it should be "Man of Steel" for all the metal work in these buildings.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My Time is Yours
Picture of davetruong
posted Hide Post
Beautiful home you built for an amazing wife!

God, Family, Country.

Posts: 6010 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: October 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Quick bump to keep it alive.

Studio is a 90%, enough so that she is moving into it this week. Move pictures are on the way.

Thank you very much for all the kind comments.

posted Hide Post
I am always looking forward to updates from your home. I really appreciate you allowing us a peek inside through all the hard work. Beautiful home.

Posts: 492 | Location: The Republic of Texas | Registered: June 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How'd the new house do in our recent cold snap?

Posts: 2169 | Registered: April 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It did alright but not great. I never got around to insulating the p traps under the house ( from the showers) so they froze but didn't bust, they are heat traced now. Also with over half of the outside walls bent just the panels I found a number of them that had drafts so I've been doing a little caulking.

That and the only heat in the house is the heat pump on the mini split so the electric bill was the highest it's ever been last month at $120. The average has been about $70 with the previous high being $100 last January. Once I find the rest of the drafts I should be able to cut the overall electric bill by 10-20%, I hope.

A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
One of my favorite threads, that house is awesome.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9366 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Finally got around to "underpinning" the house so that hopefully I can get a better insurance policy. Pictures are not the best, it was cold and they were to send to the insurance company.

I will try to get some pictures of the studio to post up this week.

A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
Looking good, thanks for the update.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9366 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Support4Firearms
posted Hide Post
I sat for an hour - in awe. Beautiful! This needs to go up the list!

Hope the hand is coming along well.

Posts: 3114 | Location: "Back In New Mexico" | Registered: March 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post