SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    Camping in the Bighorns (Pic heavy)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Camping in the Bighorns (Pic heavy) Login/Join 
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted
We just got back from a week and a half of vacation in what I consider to be one of the most beautiful places in the world: Cloud Peak wilderness in the Bighorn mountains in WY. Clear mountain air, beautiful views, a clear schedule, no heat & humidity, no cell phones, no covidiots, no protests...just hiking, fishing, and camping as far from civilization as we could get.

My oldest son, FIL, and I did an overnight hike to Lost Twin Lakes...absolutely gorgeous, and some great fishing.

Morning view from our overnight camp site:

And because my in-laws were along, my wife and I got to leave the kids with them and take a day hike up to Mistymoon lake, just the two of us. We did an overnight trip there last year, and the scenery is absolutely magnificent:

And a few of the neighbors:

Posts: 8422 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Beautiful. That's where I want to live.

Thanks for posting. Smile

Posts: 17061 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
That's where I want to live.

You and me both! If I could find employment, I'd be there.

Posts: 8422 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
Breath taking! Thank you sharing!

Posts: 3443 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Beautiful pics. Reminds me of hiking the Pacific Crest Trail in the north Cascades of Washington State. Some of the best memories in my life.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Triggers don't
pull themselves
Picture of mdblanton
posted Hide Post
Outstanding scenery! Thanks for posting, I’m going to have to put that location on my destination list.

Michael

Posts: 1093 | Location: Petal, MS | Registered: January 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4859
posted Hide Post
Beautiful country. I haven't been there in many years and need to get back there.

-----------------------------
Always carry. Never tell.

Posts: 5772 | Location: Montana  | Registered: May 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Very pretty. Unfortunately, my current physical condition is such that I can only enjoy it via others' photos.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, the Big Horns are one of our best underrated areas.

PC

Posts: 1332 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
Thank you very much for sharing.

Absolutely beautiful.

Would love to go back to Wyoming, again.

Truly a magnificent place.

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
One of these days I'll get there, but until then the shared photos are much appreciated.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes, the Big Horns are one of our best underrated areas.

That's my favorite thing about them...most of the tourist types want to see Yellowstone and the Tetons, so they all go there and leave the Bighorns alone. Plus, the Bighorns are less accessible, so you have to work harder to access the good parts, which also helps keep the traffic down. The last few times we've been out there, it was predominantly locals and a few other out-of-state hikers. This time it was a little busier (I think the covid is driving more people to vacation outdoors), but still not too bad.

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Beautiful pics. Reminds me of hiking the Pacific Crest Trail in the north Cascades of Washington State. Some of the best memories in my life.

That's on my list to do someday (not the whole thing...I'm not that hardcore...but some sections)...I've heard it's fantastic!

posted Hide Post
Wow, beautiful.

Posts: 3580 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post