SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    I got bored...
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I got bored... Login/Join 
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
quote:
Originally posted by slabsides45:

Ah, the little known "Nuthead" series, squeezed in between the flathead and panhead era. It was, I believe, about a 3 day stint....

I bent up a set of pipes for it the other day. "Loud Pipes Save Lives!" Razz
O, Good! It really needed some straight pipes!

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
Looks like you are having fun with it.

Made an engine out of wire. Later I tried a truck, but only if I could out do the engine. Decided to do an airplane, but only if I could out do the truck. It took an amazing amount of wire to fold and bend into this:

Worked out the geometry where the tail wheel controls the landing gear retracting to and from the wings. Flaps are linked. Cantilever rods and lever geometry take a bit of trial and error. Don't think I can out do this one.

Whoa! Now THAT is cool! I may have to try my hand at that next Winter.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Thanks man. That 750 of yours is awesome!

It took an insane amount of wire. Had to figure out the radius of each fulcrum and cantilever. I had hoped to have the canopy open when the wheels were down, but it took about a month to get as far as I did. By then, I was glad to get it over with. As a reference of scale, the cap for the cowl is from a Dr. Pepper bottle. Made it so if any additional adjustments were needed I can unscrew the cap and take the top half off. Made sure not to look at planes so I wouldn't try to change things as I went. First I thought about covering it with tape or something, then realized it just wouldn't do justice to all the swear words it took to put this together. Plus all the times I made engine noises 'flying' this thing as it neared completion. Big Grin Sorry about the jumbo pics...

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Scouring through the garden, I picked up few things on the way to put this piece ut to teach my sons the gun parts of a pistol.

Posts: 7 | Registered: March 13, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
^^^
Talk about creative! Nice work!

It's all about seeing beyond what something is and imagining what it can be.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post

Feeling creative today.

It all started with "Gee, those bevel gears look a little like radial engines."

Nose is the collar off an old hitch ball, cockpit is part of a handle off a wood stove.

Engine nacelles are a piece of 1/2" pipe with a notch cut out and then bent closed.

Same for the back of the fuselage. Laid out and cut four notches, pinched it together and tacked in place.

Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
^^^^^ Nice! Do you plan to add propellers?

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Still contemplating my options there.

I could make something out of sheet stock, but I'm also looking for the right "found thing" to use.

(Just occurred to me, the handles off some flatware spoons would work.)

Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post

Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
Awesome.

Posts: 3572 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Another loooong winter.

A snowplow for one of my restored Tonka trucks.

A loose copy of the PATU DC-4 chipper I used to have.

Too cold to clean/prime/paint anything (can't do it in the basement, SWMBO objects...) so they'll remain in the raw until Spring.

Picture of SSgt USMC/Vet
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kcl1960:
Way cool stuff! Don't stop Big Grin

I agree.

Posts: 1949 | Location: Northern Virginia/Buggs Island, Boydton Va. | Registered: July 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save today, so you can
buy tomorrow
posted Hide Post
If you are not a grandpa yet, you will be the coolest one and your grandson will be the coolest kid on the block. Imagine having those toys that only he gets to have. Those are some nice projects.

Posts: 1879 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
That is the coolest thing I have seen today. Cant wait to see the next one.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3576 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by redstone:
That is the coolest thing I have seen today. Cant wait to see the next one.

Started on something today. If it comes out in reality like I picture it in my mind, it's gonna be my best yet.

Gonna take a while tho, I have to take a LOT of breaks when working on fussy stuff or I get too frustrated. That comes from having micrometer ideas and yardstick hands...

Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post

My latest project went quite a bit faster than I expected. It's a more-or-less scale 3 point hitch backhoe, modeled after the Woods 650 I had on the John Deere. Sold it as it wouldn't fit the new Kubota.

There are a few details to add yet, but basically done. Had a LOT of fun doing it, tried out a couple of new techniques. Only got aggravated once and that was with a non-cooperative tool, not the project. That may be a record for me.

Step-by-step pics on my website

Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Paul,

I signed up on your website even though what goes on there is waaaaay above my skill level. Signed as shovelhead.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8067 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JasonATI
posted Hide Post

How much would it cost to recreate this?

Posts: 428 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: October 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:
Paul,

I signed up on your website even though what goes on there is waaaaay above my skill level. Signed as shovelhead.

Nice! Welcome, and join in. It's been pretty slow of late, but we're all about ideas, tips and tricks. No judging going on.

Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JasonATI:

How much would it cost to recreate this?

Hard to say exactly. If I could gather up the parts, I could approximate it in 3-4 hours of work. I get $25/hr plus materials for general light welding work. Plus shipping.

It'd be fairly heavy as it would have to be mostly steel, I don't have any way to weld aluminum.

Probably fairly large too. Rough guess (depending on what I found for parts) 16-18" long, 6-8" high, and 6" or so deep.