SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  New Members Introduction    Smoky Moutains
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Smoky Moutains Login/Join 
Picture of Frogwalking
posted
Having lived many places over the eastern half of this country, and spent 5 years as an aviation ordnanceman in the Navy, I am not new to this hobby. This is, however, my very first Sig. I saw it in the local gun shop / indoor range where I shoot. After learning a little about Sigs on the internet, I went back to the shop and bought the used .45 ACP. The gun is a double action only, but has the lightest and smoothest DAO I have shot. The force required to rack the slide is pretty light for a gun with a barrel less than 4” long. t appears that the gun is about 7 or 8 years old, although the slight wear on the barrel finish indicates little use. It has a satin SS slide, the rest being black. The grips are black aluminum, cut for a decocker (which this gun does not have).
I have several questions about this gun that you may be able to help with. It shoots low with the #6 front sight. (The illumination of the night sights are a dim memory.) I have ordered a used #8 contrast sight from Numrich to see if it shoots closer to the point of aim.. If it does, I may buy new night sights. What brand are best? I plan on using this for a house gun. What were the original grips?

Thanks,

Frog

Posts: 9 | Location: Smoky Mountains | Registered: December 15, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Hello.

What model do you have? Guessing by your description, It may be a P220 Carry or a P226 (?) in what was called DAK (Double Action Kellerman) named after the guy who had designed the mechanism. Some of the later versions were DAO without Kellerman's magic. The grips for a DAO are usually given as DA/SA grips with the decocker slot left empty as you have described. Finding DAO/DAK specific grips can be done, but they aren't everywhere. The sights that work for me the best are a set of Heinie straight eights, but they aren't first on everybody's list. Post a pic if you can to let us know more.

Welcome to the forum from Georgia.

My other Sig is a Steyr...

Posts: 3983 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
I second what .38Super says. Have someone else shoot it before you start changing out the sites. If it is a DAK then you have my favorite type of SIG.

Here's how you check it. FIRST MAKE SURE THAT THE GUN IS UNLOADED!

Dry fire and keep the trigger back.
Work the slide, keeping the trigger back
After releasing the slide, ease the trigger forward. If there is a "short" reset, then you have a DAK and not a Double Action Only (DAO).

Email me if you need clarification.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 22560 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 00464b
posted Hide Post
Welcome from Wisconsin

Posts: 475 | Location: SE Wisconsin | Registered: July 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Welcome from South Texas

Posts: 234 | Location: South Texas | Registered: February 27, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fyimo
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the forum from Arkansas

Freedom Is Not Free And Is Paid For By Our Military.
VFW Member
NRA Life Member 042722999
SWCA

Posts: 9113 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: July 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Welcome! .38supersig and Rolan_Kraps give some excellent advice and I think you'll really enjoy the 220 platform. (and I am partial to SIG X-RAY3 sights, for what that's worth)

Posts: 953 | Registered: April 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post